Goose call suggestions

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Goose call suggestions

Postby Throbbin Rods » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:28 pm

I have been blowing an Olt 800 for over 20 years. I keep falling in love with different calls but the Olt is still on the lanyard because I kill more geese with it than the other ones. Can you guys recommend a Canada Goose call that does the job and doesn't take a ton of wind to blow? I have a breathing disability so I have to make sure that it is something I can use.
Thanks in advance
Bill
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell
Throbbin Rods
WFF Forum Moderator

Re: Goose call suggestions

Postby Weston81 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:39 pm

I would look into Committed Custom Calls, Gary does a heck of a job and his calls are very easy to run. His customer service is top notch and he's a sponsor here.
Weston81

Postby Flyway Stalker » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:46 pm

My Zink Call of Death seems pretty easy, but you may be better off going to a custom builder who will understand what you need for a good fit.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.
Flyway Stalker

Postby jarbo03 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:08 pm

I chose a Southern Game Calls Sentinel, takes little air with good pitch. Only way to know is to try a bunch of them out.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby aunt betty » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:47 pm

Weston81 wrote:I would look into Committed Custom Calls, Gary does a heck of a job and his calls are very easy to run. His customer service is top notch and he's a sponsor here.

Have hunted with the CCC crew. There's a guy named Cody Fink that is the best goose caller I've ever heard. Taught me a few things just by being with him one day. Get on facebook, like Committed Custom Calls, and listen to Cody playing around.
Gary's goose calls don't take much air and I can run one pretty well. I'm only 5'7" tall and don't have a lot of lungs. Brian Malone runs a call pretty well. Both Cody and Brian guide at Braidwood Hunt Club.

Gary also sells "broke in guts". He shaves the reeds and breaks them in for you. Very good at what he does.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:54 pm

This is what a shaved reed looks like. It's scratched like that on purpose. Makes the call break wayyyyy easier.
Gary did that for me in Malone's garage one day.
Can not stress enough how Gary Perinar really knows his shit about calls and calling.
Begged him to start making calls again after he'd quit.
So glad I did.
12371181_174488706237332_956204079123251199_o.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Tomkat » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:09 am

I have owned many SR calls. This year I have been using a Canada Hammer II as a hail type call and a Eastern Shoreman Express as a finisher....it has been a deadly combination.
Tomkat

Return to Duck Call Forum