Found a better bird whistle...

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Found a better bird whistle...

Postby Rick » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:03 am

Literally. Being OCD about field litter, I picked up a bit of white trash that caught my eye (that for gutter minded) while doing some wet work (for the killer dillers and - and seriously gutter minded) on one of our leases the other day that turned out to be a long lost Haydel snow/blue call sharing a lanyard with what I gather is a Big River speck call some favor but I've never heard, a chromed metal dog whistle and a Primos duck whistle. All were packed with mud, and I pitched the snow call and dog whistle and nearly did the same with the Primos whistle, as I've tried a number of similar ones and long since settled on Haydel's MP-90.

Decided, instead, to soak the dirt out of the little Primos along with the Big River call I want to try and give it a toot. And danged if it isn't a better one, in terms of both ergonomics and sound, than what I thought the best of the litter. Is the smallest I've seen but as loud as any I've tried and smack dead on tone.

See they retail for $7 (http://www.primos.com/products/waterfowl-calls/duck-whistle-mallard-drake-grunt/, which is about $5 cheaper than the Haydel, too, so if I were looking to buy a duck whistle, this would be it. My Haydel's now in the "also ran" drawer.
Rick

Re: Found a better bird whistle...

Postby Deltaman » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:49 pm

Sweet find Rick!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:51 pm

Just when you think you figure things out in the call world....
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Rick » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:17 pm

Well, who'da thunk Primos would get something right? Been so disappointed with most of their duck and goose stuff that I have tried that I never thought to try their whistle.
Rick

Postby Olly » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:25 pm

I thought everyone had one of these. I think this was like the 2nd duck call I ever owned. Mine is about 8 years old and still hanging on my lanyard.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:48 pm

Rick wrote:Well, who'da thunk Primos would get something right? Been so disappointed with most of their duck and goose stuff that I have tried that I never thought to try their whistle.

With a history of calls that includes the shake'n feed mallard call I don't know how you could possibly be surprised.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Darren » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:17 am

Rick wrote:Literally. Being OCD about field litter, I picked up a bit of white trash that caught my eye (that for gutter minded) while doing some wet work (for the killer dillers and - and seriously gutter minded) on one of our leases the other day that turned out to be a long lost Haydel snow/blue call sharing a lanyard with what I gather is a Big River speck call some favor but I've never heard, a chromed metal dog whistle and a Primos duck whistle. All were packed with mud, and I pitched the snow call and dog whistle and nearly did the same with the Primos whistle, as I've tried a number of similar ones and long since settled on Haydel's MP-90.

Decided, instead, to soak the dirt out of the little Primos along with the Big River call I want to try and give it a toot. And danged if it isn't a better one, in terms of both ergonomics and sound, than what I thought the best of the litter. Is the smallest I've seen but as loud as any I've tried and smack dead on tone.

See they retail for $7 (http://www.primos.com/products/waterfowl-calls/duck-whistle-mallard-drake-grunt/, which is about $5 cheaper than the Haydel, too, so if I were looking to buy a duck whistle, this would be it. My Haydel's now in the "also ran" drawer.

MP-90 been about the only long time staple on my lanyard, have passed the green Primos version many times on the shelves, may have to give it a try just for kicks at such a small price point. Someone probably bummed they lost their entire lanyard
Darren

Postby Rick » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:24 am

The one I found is smoke colored but otherwise looks just like the one I linked, so I doubt they've been changed other than for a more eye catching(?) color.
Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:30 am

Darren wrote:Someone probably bummed they lost their entire lanyard

Given the other calls on it, I'm thinking they did themselves and buddies a favor. I've never heard a Haydel's snow call sound like one, and when I got the Big River speck call cleaned up, I found it as weak as the old Faulk's squeaker it is made like.
Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:23 am

The foundling whistle referenced above has had me wondering about it's big brother, Primos' "Power Drake and Duck Whistle," so I climbed down off my fat wallet and pried $9 out to learn if it was, in fact, significantly louder and had much the same tone. Turned out both are so, and I now have a better "better bird whistle". Did ditch the little rubber do-hicky on the mouth piece, as it made the whistle less comfortable to hold in the corner of my mouth for long periods of "advertising" in the first light of LST or dense fog. And don't think it can be made to sound any more like a real drake mallard than the other whistles I've tried, which is only kinda-sorta. (Believe if I was hunting with someone who insisted on doing a lot of drake dweebing, I'd want him doing it with a quieter whistle that helped offer such calling's greatest advantage of not running much off.)
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:01 pm

Last year I found a duck call right where I set up my camp. It's one of them $20 all rubber calls.(flex-tone?) Sounds ok but is a two-reed. Perfect for the grandson to chew on. Working on getting him to quit putting calls in his teeth. He's gettin there.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Return to Duck Call Forum