Your call may be a little late

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Your call may be a little late

Postby aunt betty » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:07 am

12694566_10153848198005539_7208037182389761909_o.jpg
Uh oh...
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Re: Your call may be a little late

Postby Rick » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:14 pm

Well, that would explain the "busy" signal I've been getting this morning. Hate to see it.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:49 pm

Stuttgart ain't got much except Riceland, RnT, and Macks. Hope they bounce back.
aunt betty

Postby simplepeddler » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:47 pm

that can't be good
simplepeddler

Postby Goldfish » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:09 pm

Yikes
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Rick » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:42 am

This thread's title is actually true in my case: was a mix-up that apparently saw my old DC with a replaced insert go to the wrong person, while I got their MVP, and we were still working on getting that untangled. Now stuck not knowing what to do with the MVP, much less what's become of the DC. Would be quicker just to forward it to the owner's address, but even that possibility is on indefinite hold while they sort through the bigger mess. At least no one was hurt, and they're a strong enough outfit to survive the setback.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:29 am

You could always stick an Echo insert in there. :clap:
If you only knew how many "serious" duck hunters I've hunted with that have them things.
They do sound pretty good but it's not the boss hen sound imo.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:05 am

I've referred to that old Daisy Cutter as "the Janis Joplin of Susies," but it's still just a back-up for me.

In all candor, I could live happily ever after without what most describe as "boss hen". Hell, I'd not bet a nickle that the "chain-smoking old Susies" aren't really young hens still trying to get their voices together. (Which sure seems the case with specks.) Just know that crisp and clean has garnered better reflex response.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:27 am

Rick wrote:I've referred to that old Daisy Cutter as "the Janis Joplin of Susies," but it's still just a back-up for me.

In all candor, I could live happily ever after without what most describe as "boss hen". Hell, I'd not bet a nickle that the "chain-smoking old Susies" aren't really young hens still trying to get their voices together. (Which sure seems the case with specks.) Just know that crisp and clean has garnered better reflex response.
Not sure what bird is making that noise but each evening at my camp there are these hens...they start quacking all nasty, way louder than the others. Yeah it's crisp and clean but way loud. I'm hearing them from 1/4 to 1/2 mile away. Then they get up. Pretty sure those loudmouths are the ones say "hey guys lets go". Could be wrong...50/50 but that's my theory behind using a call that's sort of different than everyone else.
aunt betty

Postby Olly » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:19 pm

Bet the molten glob of plastic becomes a collectors item.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:37 pm

Olly wrote:Bet the molten glob of plastic becomes a collectors item.

That is no shit.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby aunt betty » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:32 pm

On Facebook RNT announced that they're closing the storefront, website, and phone orders today. No direct orders of any kind. No in-store traffic for tune-ups, shopping, or tours. They plan to start accepting orders on April 4th, 2016.
Store front to re-open November 1, 2016.
The dates could change.

They're moving production to a warehouse and hope to begin production on March 7, 2016. That is when they will begin filling orders placed on or before February 17, 2016. (before any new orders taken on 4/4/2016)

If you have sent in wood for a custom call, or sent in a call for repair, please be patient.

They will replace calls or cost incurred, that they have records of receiving , but were lost in the fire.

The post is on "John Stevens-RNT Calls" facebook page.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:47 am

aunt betty wrote:They're moving production to a warehouse and hope to begin production on March 7, 2016. That is when they will begin filling orders placed on or before February 17, 2016.

My last contact with Cole was on the 8th, and he said they weren't yet accepting their UPS/USPS shipments, so it would seem their recovery is going much more slowly than hoped. Has to be an awful mess to untangle.
Rick

Postby Goldfish » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:40 am

I can't even imagine if you sent them some special wood to turn a call and it got burned up
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Rick » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:16 pm

Little doubt there were some hits taken other than by the insurance company and, perhaps, laid off employees.
Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:47 pm

Got the old, half scroll era DC RNT replaced the insert on back and can't say I was too surprise that "close" was not. The new insert reminded me more of the old, pre reduced bore neutering SB, only with deep dog ears for added rasp. Which is too say not nearly as harsh in tone, but more agile running. The old "If you can run it..." marketing no longer applies.

Finally got off my butt and tuned it for better personal fit with a shorter, less dog-eared reed that probably won't make the first team but will be a more versatile and fun to run backup than the cranky old DC was.
Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:49 am

Rick wrote:...got off my butt and tuned it for better personal fit with a shorter, less dog-eared reed that probably won't make the first team but will be a more versatile and fun to run backup than the cranky old DC was.

Got off my butt again and tried tuning a teal reed for the DC and found it not only sweet for their hens but for mimicking other squacky hens, like pins and gadwall, as well as a fine gadwall drake beep - all with a reed that can still be run hard in "mallard" mode without locking up. To my ear, it's the most species versatile call I've owned.

Only time and birds will tell if it serves as well, much less enough better to earn a permanent lanyard loop, in those roles as my old favorite MVPs, but I'm sure looking forward to finding out.
Rick

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon May 02, 2016 12:34 pm

At least it worked out.

Sent from my Vox Mortem
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Rick » Mon May 02, 2016 1:14 pm

Worst case it's a good backup.
Rick

Postby Rick » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:54 am

As a follow-up: the supposed to be as close to the old half-scroll Daisy Cutter insert as they could get it that wasn't remotely so did, in fact, make a jam-up teal call when given an appropriate reed trim. Isn't, to my ear, as dead on the real deal as the teal tuned MVP I also use, but a September bluewing season of side-by-side comparison found the DC appreciably more effective in the marsh, while the MVP was tops over ag land. Have no idea why that might be, but it was time and again.

Given it's versatility for that and other extra squacky species, as well mallards, it's going to start the season in what's long been the original version Microhen's "quiet" call loop. And I'm guessing the birds will keep it there, but we'll see...
Rick

Return to Duck Call Forum