Them old olts

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Them old olts

Postby aunt betty » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:56 pm

There's a lot of old Olts out there but these two are mine. They're a little tricky to run but the 66 is pure duck and the 77 is pure Canada goose. Get good at running the old school Olts and them new acrylics with more modern reeds are easy as heck. I've got a cutdown D2 that is the barkiest most demanding hen you ever heard. I can only run it well for maybe ten minutes at a time tho. You really have to push it hard but dang it does what it takes. The new CCC cutdowns should be fun to run in comparison. Just gotta get my hands on one.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Re: Them old olts

Postby Deltaman » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:12 am

Used to love those old Olt D2's. My two older brothers and I would spend hours filing them down and experimenting with different reeds to get the sounds we wanted. Loved the output, but they would stick in a heartbeat, especially when it was really cold, very frustrating. When double reed calls came out, I quickly became a convert.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Throbbin Rods » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:50 am

I still blow an Olt 800 for geese. I swear that call is the best one I ever used. Wish I had bought 2 or 3 back in the day to make sure they were the same. Scared to death it is gonna get lost or stolen
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell
Throbbin Rods
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:38 pm

aunt betty wrote:I've got a cutdown D2 that is the barkiest most demanding hen you ever heard. I can only run it well for maybe ten minutes at a time tho. You really have to push it hard but dang it does what it takes.

I'm no cutdown wizard (and after three years of experimentation on game decided they weren't worth the trouble), but will suggest that you might want to try changing your air presentation and begin your notes gating air with the tip of your tongue against the roof of your mouth, as if saying "duck" or "dack," instead of "quack" or "wack" or whatever you normally do. Lets the air build enough pressure behind your tongue to enter the call more rapidly and get that fat reed moving without the strain of trying to push it as fast from the diaphragm.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:46 pm

Rick wrote:
aunt betty wrote:I've got a cutdown D2 that is the barkiest most demanding hen you ever heard. I can only run it well for maybe ten minutes at a time tho. You really have to push it hard but dang it does what it takes.

I'm no cutdown wizard (and after three years of experimentation on game decided they weren't worth the trouble), but will suggest that you might want to try changing your air presentation and begin your notes gating air with the tip of your tongue against the roof of your mouth, as if saying "duck" or "dack," instead of "quack" or "wack" or whatever you normally do. Lets the air build enough pressure behind your tongue to enter the call more rapidly and get that fat reed moving without the strain of trying to push it as fast from the diaphragm.

I'm hobbit sized. Great advice for a full-size man.
Guess which one I am.
12186636_10205351928386753_6401785144509905507_o.jpg
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:24 pm

I'm a scrawny thing, which is why I learned to do it the easy way suggested above.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:01 pm

Rick wrote:I'm a scrawny thing, which is why I learned to do it the easy way suggested above.

There ain't no easy way to blow the cutdown I own. The guy who did the cut is over 7' tall and makes a Canada goose look small. Maybe that has something to do with it. Not all cutdowns are alike. Not even close.

Here's Adam and an 8-gauge punt gun. Good ole Adam. That gun has to be over 8' long.
2593.jpeg
aunt betty

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:58 am

aunt betty wrote:
Rick wrote:I'm a scrawny thing, which is why I learned to do it the easy way suggested above.

There ain't no easy way to blow the cutdown I own. The guy who did the cut is over 7' tall and makes a Canada goose look small. Maybe that has something to do with it. Not all cutdowns are alike. Not even close.

Here's Adam and an 8-gauge punt gun. Good ole Adam. That gun has to be over 8' long.
2593.jpeg

You should try a Vox. Need an air compressor to run those. :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:05 am

Rick wrote:

I'm no cutdown wizard (and after three years of experimentation on game decided they weren't worth the trouble), but will suggest that you might want to try changing your air presentation and begin your notes gating air with the tip of your tongue against the roof of...
This aint my first duck call. How I blow a call is hard to "splain". The front-middle of my tongue is where all the work gets done. Rammed up to the top of mouth, pulled back, and sort of plugs up the airway where I can give it a sudden burst that builds up pressure and velocity. Ever mouth is shaped different. If I use the tip of my tongue air goes right by the sides. No good that way. "Skinny tongue?". How else can you splain it?

It's more of a kack kack kack but I am way past talkin into a call. Used to play that game of words.

Some day I'll play 'Ina Gotta Devita' thru a call for you. :thumbsup:
aunt betty

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:38 am

Where can I get the guts for an Olt goose call? I assume I can still find it. I got it around 1986. Had no clue what to actually do with it until around 2005. Hunted geese a little over a few years as a teenager when the resident geese first appeared and didn't know any goose hunters and there was no youtube, so we really missed out and could have killed a lot of geese if we knew what we were doing. Then I didn't hunt geese again until 2005. My primary teacher was all the geese using the retention pond across from my house. I really liked the Olt, better than the call I use now, but it started sticking every time. One cluck and that was it. Finally tried to "fix" it and I fixed it :lol: :oops: Then I bought the call I have.

I also have an Olt duck call from then, but could not find it when I started duck hunting again in 2005. I KNEW I still had it and it drove me nuts I couldn't find it. I looked through my stuff almost yearly because I knew that damn call was among it somewhere. Then about 3 or 4 years ago, I was moving some hunting stuff around and it rolled out :lol: I don't care for it that much though, but glad I found it for sentimental reasons.
SpinnerMan

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:47 am

SpinnerMan wrote:Where can I get the guts for an Olt goose call? I assume I can still find it. I got it around 1986. Had no clue what to actually do with it until around 2005. Hunted geese a little over a few years as a teenager when the resident geese first appeared and didn't know any goose hunters and there was no youtube, so we really missed out and could have killed a lot of geese if we knew what we were doing. Then I didn't hunt geese again until 2005. My primary teacher was all the geese using the retention pond across from my house. I really liked the Olt, better than the call I use now, but it started sticking every time. One cluck and that was it. Finally tried to "fix" it and I fixed it :lol: :oops: Then I bought the call I have.

I also have an Olt duck call from then, but could not find it when I started duck hunting again in 2005. I KNEW I still had it and it drove me nuts I couldn't find it. I looked through my stuff almost yearly because I knew that damn call was among it somewhere. Then about 3 or 4 years ago, I was moving some hunting stuff around and it rolled out :lol: I don't care for it that much though, but glad I found it for sentimental reasons.
Find Gary Perinar and ask him. He's in your area. He has a big box of reeds and most likely has exactly what you need or can get it. His shop is located at:

2314 Route 59 #157
Plainfield, Illinois

Call first: 815-210-2452

It's ELEVEN miles from Joliet. 26-minute drive ROFL

Am pretty sure Gary spent years pickin the brains of the last of the old Olt production guys. If anybody can help you he can.
Heck I bet he even shaves the reed for you. He's so good at it. Watched him in action.
Ten minutes in his hands and your call is gold.

You talking about an A-50? If so I got guts for that. Harpie has about 100 of them old things.
aunt betty

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:03 am

WOW. I'll find the call and then give him a call.

You ain't kidding that's in my area. 10 minutes from my house. I live about 1 mile from Lake Renwick near the border of Joliet and Plainfield. If you put Joliet, IL into Google maps. It will show the city boundary. It's worth doing to just see how crazy the boundaries are. It's worse than a gerrymandered Congressional district. I'm in the very northern most part of the "city." Probably 6 or 7 miles from the original town of Joliet. About 2 miles from the original town of Plainfield. It's all one jumbled mess up here.
SpinnerMan

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:05 am

SpinnerMan wrote:WOW. I'll find the call and then give him a call.

You ain't kidding that's in my area. 10 minutes from my house. I live about 1 mile from Lake Renwick near the border of Joliet and Plainfield. If you put Joliet, IL into Google maps. It will show the city boundary. It's worth doing to just see how crazy the boundaries are. It's worse than a gerrymandered Congressional district. I'm in the very northern most part of the "city." Probably 6 or 7 miles from the original town of Joliet. About 2 miles from the original town of Plainfield. It's all one jumbled mess up here.
Go hunt public on the Fox river and see just how crazy it is.
You got a campground on one side and a high school on the other just over the hill. One of the blinds is literally at the corner of someone's back yard. Try accessing it by land (north side) and see what happens. :lol:

Gary might fix your call for nothing but try to pay him anyway if you would.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:26 am

If that doesn't do it, call David Jackson, http://www.djcalls.com/, he worked for Olt for years and started building them under a new name when they shut down.

(The Olt family is/was back in business, but probably shot themselves in the foot with their pricing.)
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:58 am

aunt betty wrote:Go hunt public on the Fox river and see just how crazy it is.

That's why I joined a club in the area. For $1,800 and $200 per year, I don't have to deal with any of that. I have a spot, I can leave my boat, if I like my blind for the week (rotate blinds weekly and can jump unclaimed blinds) I can leave my decoys out, I archery hunt there, there's a little archery range, was a great place to train the dog, fishing is supposed to be pretty good (don't fish much there), you can camp there if you want, ...

I picked up pretty quick that I don't want to deal with the public hunting around here. Between the people and the idiotic Illinois corrupt view of navigable waterways, this seemed like a dead end for a newcomer that had no connections nor any desire to beat on every door within 20 miles hoping to get access to private land.

aunt betty wrote:You got a campground on one side and a high school on the other just over the hill.

I'm in the 'burbs. My dog was chasing a wing tipped mallard through the neighbors backyard :lol: She was young and I did not want to call her off the bird, but there was no way I could shoot it less than 25 yards from their back door :o Up in the yard, back in the water, up in the yard, back in the water, this went on and on for at least 15 minutes. It would never go far enough in the yard that she could catch it. I was trying to corral it with the boat. Thought we had it and it dove under my boat. Finally, the dog lost it. I knew where it was, but she didn't, OK, we'll let it go off and hopefully die. When we packed up for the day, I sent the dog locking for it. It went skittering across the water. Oh crap, here we go again. Thankfully, while it didn't die, it did run out of gas and the dog caught it pretty quick.

I had a traffic helicopter hovering over me goose hunting one day because there was a bad car accident that I heard right behind me. Not exactly hunting in the wilderness.
SpinnerMan

Postby don novicki » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:50 pm

I learned on a 66. To this day still a great call and a sound all those fancy poly/carb's just can't duplicate. Funny thing is that the call STILL brings in the ducks....
don novicki

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:13 pm

I cannot find my olt goose call. I found every call I owned since I was 12 except for that one. :twisted:
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:30 am

Probably using it for a couch leg.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:29 am

As my Dad always liked to say. It will be the last place you look.

Because of course, you stop looking.

The Olts seem to like to hide. I couldn't find the duck call when I first started duck hunting again. I knew I had it and where it should be. Didn't find it for a couple years when it just rolled out of something when I wasn't looking for it. I hope it doesn't take a couple years to find the goose call.
SpinnerMan

Return to Duck Call Forum