Such a deal...on a 40th Daisy Cutter

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Such a deal...on a 40th Daisy Cutter

Postby Rick » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:51 pm

I've an Ivory 40th Anniversary edition RNT Daisy Cutter like-new-in-box that I bought from a fellow who'd taken advantage of a Mack's sale last March and passed his savings on to me, which I'll now pass on to someone from this board before putting it up for sale elsewhere. One of you guys can have it for the $80 I'm in it, and I'll eat the Priority postage.

(If no takers here in the next few days, I'll sell it elsewhere for $90 and cover my P&H.)
Rick

Re: Such a deal...on a 40th Daisy Cutter

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:33 am

Have to admit I've only run it around a bit and don't recall trying to see how hard I might get on it before locking (and am not going to find out at this early hour). Also haven't done more than pop a fresh cork in it, and have no idea where re-tuning might take it.

Since the RNT 40ths are said to be throwbacks to their earlier editions, I bought it out of curiosity over how close it might come to matching my old half-scroll era DC. With the "good and bad news" of it being that it doesn't require as much attention to air presentation (or any at all in my case), is nimble/easily run and a much better call than the 2011 version I have was prior to modification, but it isn't as harsh (as opposed to just raspy) as at least my particular old one was.

Before I'd run across this 40th, however, I'd taken a fit to try modifying my 2011's pee-poor toneboard and had the fortune of hitting "close enough" to my early DC's harshness before the trash can, and not being a collector, I've no real reason to hang onto a 40th that will have more value to someone else, whether a RNT collector or someone after a slick running, fairly raspy hunting call. (Perhaps very raspy with a little more reed...)
Rick

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:14 am

Rick wrote:Have to admit I've only run it around a bit and don't recall trying to see how hard I might get on it before locking (and am not going to find out at this early hour).

Just tried and can make it squeal, at least with its present tuning, if I make an effort to, but don't have to be conscious of what I'm doing with my "normal" presentation when doing what passes for a ring with it. Being teens, I suspect my older grandsons would be disappointed with the 40th sticker, instead of "cool" duck scull engraving, or might pass it to one of them. (And will if one comes by and likes it before it's sold.)
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:04 pm

Was this call only driven on Saturdays to the grocery store by a little old lady from Pasadena?

:mrgreen:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:09 pm

Once bought a very clean, low mileage Dodge truck an old guy just putted around town with - and carboned the rings tight in their pistons on.

But, yes, it may well be the lowest mileage used call you'll find on the market today.
Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:10 am

Been sold to the American.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:14 pm

Had a Daisy Cutter. One day as a million ducks were flying by I tried every call in my bag. Nothing worked until I got out a hedge Throwback as last resort. After that I limited 13 days in a row.

I could push that cutter hard but to me (and the ducks) that hedge call was magic.
Then some *&#$ stole it and my Beretta.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Return to Duck Call Forum