The bad thing about cut down calls

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Re: The bad thing about cut down calls

Postby Ricky Spanish » Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:46 am

Rick wrote:
Anotherone wrote:Phil and Warren shooting ducks in Maurepas swamp was the greatest video. Hell, I think I’ll pull up Duckmen 1 now and watch it.

Robertson told me they hired a real production crew (6 or 9 grand?) and took a lot longer (couple or three seasons?) than it appears to make and was still worried about it paying for itself at the time. Gave me a copy, which remains the best of its kind I've seen, and I returned it so he could give someone else that chance. Couple of rubes with no clue what that video would ignite, we were.

Being as how the statute of limitations has surely run out, he also showed me the photo of a dinosaur of an alligator he and Coco allegedly caught, measured with a length of the rope they tied it up with at 14' and released during the filming or preparation for it. That rodeo would have probably made for better footage than the deer I've heard he flipped with a rifle on a later video.

Next couple videos were disappointing and hopefully made on the very cheap before hiring better help again but turning hunts into how-red-can-you-go? shows I couldn't stomach. 'Course, that's the image that mass-marketed them through the roof, so I plainly know nothing.

Please note, Robertson and I weren't the big buddies the above might suggest (he called me "Hall"), just a couple guys with similar interests that crossed our paths in the "Way back when..."

I never met him but Gary did. It's taking a long time but slowly he's opening up for me. Eventually I'll know everything about this call and who did what to it.
It says " modified by Gary Perinar" on the ring.
16804428068657940057974638909570.jpg

Here's the guts. Sigh I can't take it apart it's stuck stuck stuck.
There are two reeds and I can see file marks on the end of the insert.
Quack
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Ricky Spanish

Re: The bad thing about cut down calls

Postby Ricky Spanish » Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:00 am

Made a video to show why you tape the insert on.
It leaks like hell basically.
Got side tracked on "why to use outdoor electric tape and pay extra for the "super 33".
Serious talk don't skimp on the tape it'll be best if you have the good stuff because you end up taping a wire on the truck. It matters.
I learned the hard way despite being told by my dad the electrical engineer. (Face slap)
Played my DC call and I think it sounds way better blown j frame style buts that's just in my kitchen.
For just $8.95 I'll publish it. :lol:
Ricky Spanish

Previous

Return to Duck Call Forum