landyards

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

landyards

Postby plainsman » Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:26 pm

Leather or para? Wouldn't leather rot faster? Anyone have a favourite brand?
plainsman

Re: landyards

Postby Rick » Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:01 am

Had a leather whistle lanyard back in the '70s, but all I can tell you about it was that I'd switched to nylon by the '80s:
oldhunt1a.jpg

Was also given a buckskin call lanyard by its proud maker years back but don't recall its configuration, just that I never used it.

If you squint hard at the photo above, you might see the braided decoy anchor cord leading to a (speck) call in my shirt pocket. Which is still my choice for single call hunts, like September teal. But when I started carrying so many single strung calls that they were tangling enough to be an irritation, I broke down and became one of the fancy boys with a multi-call paracord lanyard. Mine was made by an, I think, defunct outfit called "Muddy Dog" and is still doing what a good lanyard should 20-some years of every open regular season day hunting later.

Still feel silly putting it on and generally make a poor joke about learning to use some of what's on it, but when I want a call or whistle, it's right there.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Rick

Re:LANYARDS (EDITED FOR TYPO)

Postby Ricky Spanish » Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:17 am

You buy a couple rolls and start braiding.
After a few years it looks pretty shabby so why bother spending the loot to pay some gay guy to braid for you.
My favorite braid?
Uhhh. Fuck I don't know.
There is not one band on there for a reason.
16808661400766786453613083656136.jpg
Ricky Spanish

Postby Rick » Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:51 am

Don't doubt many find satisfaction in braiding their own and wouldn't want to discourage it, but if "After a few years (a paracord lanyard) looks pretty shabby," you probably shouldn't have drug it behind the truck. Stuff's dang near indestructible, and fussy folks could always return dirty paracord to "like new" with a trip through the wash.
Rick

Postby Ricky Spanish » Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:53 am

Rick wrote:Don't doubt many find satisfaction in braiding their own and wouldn't want to discourage it, but if "After a few years (a paracord lanyard) looks pretty shabby," you probably shouldn't have drug it behind the truck. Stuff's dang near indestructible, and fussy folks could always return dirty paracord to "like new" with a trip through the wash.

Hunting in green timber is very dirty.
You pick up a few pounds of sticks getting to the hole then the dog does his thing. Plus you rub mud all over the blind on purpose. If your gear is so clean that it needs special protection then maybe big water is a better type of hunting for you.
Timber is a mess.
Messy messy messy.

There's ten years of it on my landyard
Ricky Spanish

Postby Rick » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:29 am

Ricky Spanish wrote:Hunting in green timber is very dirty.
You pick up a few pounds of sticks getting to the hole then the dog does his thing. Plus you rub mud all over the blind on purpose. If your gear is so clean that it needs special protection then maybe big water is a better type of hunting for you.
Timber is a mess.
Messy messy messy.

There's ten years of it on my landyard

Plain you've not been to the "mudhole" blind the dogs and I have hunted the past 14 seasons:
2011-2012hunting007-5a.jpg

much less been next to the dog there:
2011-2012hunting011-1a.jpg

2011-2012hunting004-5a.jpg
Rick

Postby Ricky Spanish » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:46 am

It's dirty here too. I've seen them pics..I like it
Dogs give no fucks about you forgetting and leaving your blind bag wide open. Just pray the tp don't get wet.
:lol:

I dont wear the lanyard but hang it on edge of blind.
If I wear it I'm banging calls that I'd have to beg and cry to get replaced. I'm close to begging for another small bore.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Rick » Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:23 am

I'd be much more afraid of something happening to calls I wasn't wearing (like a certain Singleton). And while I joke about "clanging when I walk" with my lanyard full of calls, it's design prevents it. Doesn't prevent dog slop from doing to my calls what dip sometimes does to those of folks using it, but vesting them whenever it's cool enough helps.
Rick

Postby Ricky Spanish » Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:09 am

Rick wrote:I'd be much more afraid of something happening to calls I wasn't wearing (like a certain Singleton). And while I joke about "clanging when I walk" with my lanyard full of calls, it's design prevents it. Doesn't prevent dog slop from doing to my calls what dip sometimes does to those of folks using it, but vesting them whenever it's cool enough helps.

Mine hangs by the captains seat as far as it can get from a dog. Usually I set there with a call in hand.
It's a big inconvenience but I tether millet about 8 feet away at the front of the blind. His ladder is there.
Shakes off way at the front but still slings mud and water enough to put my heater out.
He delivers the duck to my feet which is adequate.
It's fun when things are working.
Ricky Spanish

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:09 pm

I still haven't gotten a proper lanyard. I just have each call on one of those cheap ones. If I'm going early goose hunting with my wife, just pull the goose call out of the blind bag. Sometimes I'll have 3 around my neck depending on what's around.

Whenever I video tape, I can hear my bands rattling. :lol: If the birds are close enough to hear that, there shouldn't be any excuses. :mrgreen:
SpinnerMan

Postby Darren » Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:04 pm

Rick wrote:I'd be much more afraid of something happening to calls I wasn't wearing (like a certain Singleton). And while I joke about "clanging when I walk" with my lanyard full of calls, it's design prevents it. Doesn't prevent dog slop from doing to my calls what dip sometimes does to those of folks using it, but vesting them whenever it's cool enough helps.

After losing a few call parts, have now made a habit of taking off my call lanyard and leaving it in the blind or on the levee before I go trecking off chasing a crip duck or goose with the dog.
Darren

Return to Duck Call Forum