Feeding call problems

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Feeding call problems

Postby IEatZ28 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:39 pm

Hey guys, I'm new here and I'm having some feeding call problems. I'm using a double reed and it seems like I can do it without the call but once I put the call to my mouth I seems like it has to much pressure in yhe call and makes it so I can't do it as fast as I can without the call.

What am I Doing wrong?!
IEatZ28

Re: Feeding call problems

Postby Gr8white » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:53 pm

What type of call are you using. Could just be the call.
Gr8white

Postby IEatZ28 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:59 pm

It's a buck garner double nasty
IEatZ28

Postby IEatZ28 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:46 pm

I mean mag nasty
IEatZ28

Postby jarbo03 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:14 pm

Slow down a little, feed calls do not have to be a fast cadence. Buck Gardner teaches a very goid and effective feed call, google it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Westie25 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:23 am

Been calling for a few years and still can't do a rolling feed call.
Westie25

Postby obxbufflehead » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:09 am

Is a rolling feed the tika,tika,tika,tika ect. type feed?
MOhuntingGuy wrote:I bet they were home schooled and lack the necessary social skills in life to take a joke.
obxbufflehead

Postby assateague » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:13 am

I do it from time to time, just for fun. Never had birds come in to it.
assateague

Postby Westie25 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:35 am

obxbufflehead wrote:Is a rolling feed the tika,tika,tika,tika ect. type feed?

http://youtu.be/x1yxI6_xoc0
Westie25

Postby Goldfish » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:01 pm

Most people use it wrong anyways. Feeding chatter isn't very fast. Excited birds (usually in the air or when they are chasing each other around) is when they do the "feed chuckle". At least from what I've heard.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:21 pm

Goldfish wrote:Most people use it wrong anyways. Feeding chatter isn't very fast. Excited birds (usually in the air or when they are chasing each other around) is when they do the "feed chuckle". At least from what I've heard.

Indeed. The fast chuckle that everyone calls a rolling feed is done by a duck flying. The actual feeding chatter they make while on the water is slow and well pronounced. Either one you choose, ive never seen either turn a duck into the decoys after a simple quack has failed.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby IEatZ28 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:41 am

Sorry for the late reply, but if the quacks will do then ill stick with those. I don't have em down yet, but its safe to say my neighbors hate me by now.
IEatZ28

Postby Shaun Patrick » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:05 am

When I am hunting I will never use a rolling feed, like Eric said, this is done by ducks in the air, the goal is to sound like a duck on the water. The feed I use and I use it mainly for the ducks to locate, is called a cut feed. This is done by making a sound similar to cuh cuh, cuh cuh cuh, whereas a rolling feed is done by the ticka ticka method. The only time I ever roll a feed is for main street contests, or possibly for a quick second in a transition in my meat routine, just to show range and ability, but some judges will cut you nuts off for that...but I digress. You can speed up of slow down that cut feed as much as you want, as well as bounce the tone and pitch around to sound like different ducks. Try opening and closing your hand to see what kind of sound you get. Like I said I use this mainly to help put ducks where I want them usually when they are facing directly at me or crossing your face. If you have any questions feel free to PM me Ill get a video posted up for you to show you some examples of each here in the near future, hope this helps.
Shaun Patrick

Postby Shaun Patrick » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:47 pm

Just a meat clip, this shows the cut feed I was talking about in the previous post. This is not a great video, I should have some time this week to put one together and get it up. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m248_jlmgb8&feature=autoplay&list=ULm248_jlmgb8&playnext=1

Tried to Embed this but apparently I am to dumb to figure it out, sorry
Shaun Patrick

Postby capt1972 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:02 pm

Shaun Patrick wrote:Just a meat clip, this shows the cut feed I was talking about in the previous post. This is not a great video, I should have some time this week to put one together and get it up. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m248_jlmgb8&feature=autoplay&list=ULm248_jlmgb8&playnext=1

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Shaun Patrick » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:05 pm

thanks man :thumbsup:
Shaun Patrick

Postby MuddyWaterWarlock » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:36 pm

Shaun Patrick wrote:thanks man :thumbsup:

That a short barrel?
Spoken to MuddyWaterWarlock
aunt betty wrote:This is personal. You are a douchebag.
Hey douche, when a seeds sprouts roots...what is it called?

Spoken to 3Leg
aunt betty wrote:You are one of them dipshits who wants to tell me how to build a clock cuz I asked for the correct time.
Fuck you dipshit.
MuddyWaterWarlock

Postby Shaun Patrick » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:46 pm

Yeah
Shaun Patrick

Postby Fowlplay » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:48 pm

Shaun Patrick wrote:Just a meat clip, this shows the cut feed I was talking about in the previous post. This is not a great video, I should have some time this week to put one together and get it up. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

question: how the hell do you do that?
Fowlplay

Postby huntfishnv » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:21 pm

MuddyWaterWarlock wrote:
Shaun Patrick wrote:thanks man :thumbsup:

That a short barrel?

Thats a nice call.
huntfishnv

Postby Shaun Patrick » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:01 am

@huntfish, yeah I am a fan, I am actually gonna pick up an acrylic SB here soon for my christmas present to myself.

@bhud you talking about embedding the video or the cut feed?
Shaun Patrick

Postby Fowlplay » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:29 pm

Shaun Patrick wrote:@huntfish, yeah I am a fan, I am actually gonna pick up an acrylic SB here soon for my christmas present to myself.

@bhud you talking about embedding the video or the cut feed?

the cut feed. sounds awesome
Fowlplay

Postby Shaun Patrick » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:08 pm

I appreciate that man, its not to hard, I could get anybody doing it in no time at all, way easier than rolling a feed.
Shaun Patrick

Postby obxbufflehead » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:14 am

capt1972 wrote:

Are you throwing a little hiccup call in there with your feed?
MOhuntingGuy wrote:I bet they were home schooled and lack the necessary social skills in life to take a joke.
obxbufflehead

Postby Fowlplay » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:16 am

Shaun Patrick wrote:I appreciate that man, its not to hard, I could get anybody doing it in no time at all, way easier than rolling a feed.

alright you cant just leave me hanging like that, explain or video tutorial. something, anything! :lol:
Fowlplay

Postby obxbufflehead » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:17 am

b.hud wrote:
Shaun Patrick wrote:I appreciate that man, its not to hard, I could get anybody doing it in no time at all, way easier than rolling a feed.

alright you cant just leave me hanging like that, explain or video tutorial. something, anything! :lol:

Yeah same here.
obxbufflehead

Postby Shaun Patrick » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:11 am

In a few spots I bounce a hen in there with some of the cut feed to do a bit of a refuge feed, I have really been wanting to do a call video tutorial, give me a list of things you guys would like me to talk about and I will try and make one in the next couple days. I will for sure do something on the cut feed.
Shaun Patrick

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:18 pm

Shaun Patrick wrote:In a few spots I bounce a hen in there with some of the cut feed to do a bit of a refuge feed, I have really been wanting to do a call video tutorial, give me a list of things you guys would like me to talk about and I will try and make one in the next couple days. I will for sure do something on the cut feed.

Do you staff for any calls? Pretty good stuff! What I need help on is just transitioning from one thing to the other.

On a side note, I need to become an Avery pro-staffer for one week. Hook me up. There is a friend of a friend who tells everyone he is sponsored by Avery(really isn't) and I always call him out on it. Pisses him off good and it would be funny to throw in his face :lol:
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:24 pm

Shaun Patrick wrote:In a few spots I bounce a hen in there with some of the cut feed to do a bit of a refuge feed, I have really been wanting to do a call video tutorial, give me a list of things you guys would like me to talk about and I will try and make one in the next couple days. I will for sure do something on the cut feed.

Not sure how you are on goose, but feel free to throw in a tutorial on the triple cluck while you're making videos. That one pisses me off.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:09 pm

assateague wrote:

Not sure how you are on goose, but feel free to throw in a tutorial on the triple cluck while you're making videos. That one pisses me off.

Triple cluck? I have trouble throwing double clucks into my real world situations.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Next

Return to Duck Call Forum