The up-down skinny on the up-down thang

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

The up-down skinny on the up-down thang

Postby Ricky Spanish » Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:16 pm

A certain member or members was laughed off of the fuge over this topic.
Knows who he is. A call expert. Pffft.
If having your reed up is important, it is, then you might tie your lanyard and tape it like this so that every time you grab it you know which way "up" is.
The advanced call expert runs his calls with the reed upside down so simply just do the opposite of what I say and while you're at it blow on the wrong end. It works best....for the expert mentioned above.

Serious tip tho... Tie it something like this.
IMG_20230618_081314_01.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Ricky Spanish

Re: The up-down skinny on the up-down thang

Postby Duck Engr » Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:18 pm

Yep, I do something similar.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby PorkChop » Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:46 pm

I pick up my call and blow it. Who knows if the reed is upside down, down side up, sideways or whatever. It’s all the same to me and the birds!
PorkChop

Postby Darren » Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:01 pm

PorkChop wrote:I pick up my call and blow it. Who knows if the reed is upside down, down side up, sideways or whatever. It’s all the same to me and the birds!

Uhh-greeed :lol:

I just run it
Darren

Postby Rick » Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:21 pm

Of the dozens of duck calls I've owned, the toneboard's orientation only made a difference on a couple or three. And they're long gone down the road. Maybe just lucky.
Rick

Postby Duck Engr » Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:18 pm

I notice it makes a difference more with my mondo and singleton than j frames. my singleton is very sensitive to it. Took me several off-seasons of piddling with it to figure out the best way for me to operate it at least.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby uncle Jed » Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:59 pm

Seems you have a serious issue with this, you've posted the same thing numerous times, and still haven't got it figured out...back to the small bus with you.... although It seems the true meaning of reed orientation eludes you :lol:
uncle Jed

Postby Rick » Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:58 am

Duck Engr wrote:I notice it makes a difference more with my mondo and singleton than j frames. my singleton is very sensitive to it. Took me several off-seasons of piddling with it to figure out the best way for me to operate it at least.

Guess we, and they, are all a bit different. After losing the first, I'm on my second LA Cut Singleton and was tickled to find its toneboard could be tuned to run just as I had the first. Which isn't always the case, even with CNC. Its low end is versatile enough that I mess with a lot of spitty feeds with drag and bouncing "refuge feed" type notes, and when full of spit, I can lock it up on some other low stuff, most notably drake dweebs.

Doesn't stick on anything important to me and takes but a common feed note or two to break it free, so it's not a big thing, but I did experiment with toneboard orientation in that regard. Up, down or sideways made no difference. Just a quirk I don't mind living with.

(Had an "old style," half-scroll Daisy Cutter that would air lock on the quiet single clucks and chucks I like to do between more meaningful things when birds are working close. So I sent it back to Jim to see if he could fix that, and he was soon on the phone saying he'd sanded a bit but would rather send me a different insert than take a chance on screwing that one's otherwise special tone up. "No, thanks. I'll live with it.")

Re: the Mondo, after trimming Jim's tuning down to something better handled by my light ass, it was my pick of three cutdowns I acquired at the same time, and I kept it for three seasons without ever noticing a toneboard orientation issue. (Never got it to run as loose as the Singleton, either.)

Maybe why they put so many different tunes in a juke box...
Rick

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:48 am

The upside down reed man shows up to whine about being laughed off the fuge.
Angry much?
Dude we are never going to let you forget the utter stupidity you posted there. You popped over here and thought you'd trash me to deflect from your shame. Upside down reed boy.
Dumbest thing ever posted about a duck call was YOU insisting that running your lares reed inverted is better. Preposterous...
I didn't see the thread but the shit you posted was utterly wrong and you're trying to play expert.
Upside down...lol
As you advance it don't matter but a rookie needs to orient his call where the reed is a certain way each time or the ducks refuse to play. That's the tip of the year. Somebody showed me so I'll share it 50 times. It's actually a great tip.
I may post this again 47 more times to to spite the experts. :lol:
Ricky Spanish

Postby uncle Jed » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:04 am

You can't even tune your car radio and you wanna give advice about tuning a call? Really? Give it up :lol:
uncle Jed

Postby Mike Jargon » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:06 am

After being advised to go read the thread titled, “In my mailbox today” at The Refuge forums, this really cleared up everything.
Mike Jargon

Postby Ricky Spanish » Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:49 am

Just Bills.
No Ricks or Bettys.
Sad face.
16875353279438743554837894522947.jpg
Ricky Spanish

Postby Duck Engr » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:40 pm

Rick wrote:
Duck Engr wrote:I notice it makes a difference more with my mondo and singleton than j frames. my singleton is very sensitive to it. Took me several off-seasons of piddling with it to figure out the best way for me to operate it at least.

Guess we, and they, are all a bit different. After losing the first, I'm on my second LA Cut Singleton and was tickled to find its toneboard could be tuned to run just as I had the first. Which isn't always the case, even with CNC. Its low end is versatile enough that I mess with a lot of spitty feeds with drag and bouncing "refuge feed" type notes, and when full of spit, I can lock it up on some other low stuff, most notably drake dweebs.

Doesn't stick on anything important to me and takes but a common feed note or two to break it free, so it's not a big thing, but I did experiment with toneboard orientation in that regard. Up, down or sideways made no difference. Just a quirk I don't mind living with.

(Had an "old style," half-scroll Daisy Cutter that would air lock on the quiet single clucks and chucks I like to do between more meaningful things when birds are working close. So I sent it back to Jim to see if he could fix that, and he was soon on the phone saying he'd sanded a bit but would rather send me a different insert than take a chance on screwing that one's otherwise special tone up. "No, thanks. I'll live with it.")

Re: the Mondo, after trimming Jim's tuning down to something better handled by my light ass, it was my pick of three cutdowns I acquired at the same time, and I kept it for three seasons without ever noticing a toneboard orientation issue. (Never got it to run as loose as the Singleton, either.)

Maybe why they put so many different tunes in a juke box...
I’m not too proud to admit it’s possibly the Indian and not the arrow.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Ricky Spanish » Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:02 pm

Can you possess a thread online?
Your thread my thread?
Ownership?
Really?
If there is such a thing then why is it OK to go around pissing on them and then put up a sign? Please don't pee on the thread.
A certain group are extremely worried about this topic because they've spent a year pissing on me and it's payback time.
So please....don't pee on the thread.

Pfft that's fucking hilarious.
People living in glass houses started a rock fight online.
:lol:
You can't top that
Ricky Spanish

Postby Rick » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:06 pm

Duck Engr wrote:I’m not too proud to admit it’s possibly the Indian and not the arrow.

Maybe not. Maybe just a poor fit with your particular physiology and methodology.
Rick

Postby Ricky Spanish » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:27 pm

When it really counts.
Just ask betty.
Screenshot_20230623_145515_Gallery.jpg
Ricky Spanish

Return to Duck Call Forum