Rolling feed call help!?!

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Postby Westie25 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:04 am

I've been trying to learn one for a solid year now. Any tips/help/advice? I'm convinced it's just impossible.
Westie25

Re: Rolling feed call help!?!

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:19 am

Just keep on going with it slow and you will eventually get there. Just do one or two sets of ticka-ticka strung together don't do too much at once and they will eventually start to string themselves together. Also what call are you running? Makes a difference as well.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Westie25 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:26 am

A double reed I made. It's an echo insert.
Westie25

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:18 am

Wait til you have that RNT I have found single reeds much easier to run and don't limit you like a double reed. Just figure out how to present your air right and you will find how much more control you have with a single. I'm sure if you pick Byers brain as well he can vastly help you.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:21 am

I can hardly do one either, I find tho that is I go slower usually it sounds better. 9/10 though I maybe use my duck call 5 times in a morning.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Westie25 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:25 am

Olly wrote:I can hardly do one either, I find tho that is I go slower usually it sounds better. 9/10 though I maybe use my duck call 5 times in a morning.

A lot of times where we hunt it becomes a challenge of who can call the best.
Westie25

Postby Olly » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:38 am

Westie25 wrote:
Olly wrote:I can hardly do one either, I find tho that is I go slower usually it sounds better. 9/10 though I maybe use my duck call 5 times in a morning.

A lot of times where we hunt it becomes a challenge of who can call the best.

I've hunted with a few guys like that, I'm also hunted with guys that you have to tell to STFU. When the ducks want to come in on their own let them!
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:40 am

I've found that using more natural sounding chatter like this has resulted in more birds for me over a rolling feed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL9WrwkxFaA&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhaoTsv5aCg&feature=relmfu
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Westie25 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:48 am

I try and only call when it's necessary. Im honestly just trying to hone my calling. I'd like the able to make any noise a call is capable of making, just for the sheer enjoyment. Not for hunting essentially.
Westie25

Postby Goldfish » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:36 pm

Here you go :P

As weird as it is, when I use my goose call, and call with the back of my tounge (making G sounds instead of T sounds), and then I do a feeding chuckle, it can keep it going longer. Don't know if I'm working the muscles a certain way or why it is, but it's something I've noticed.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby capt1972 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:06 pm

Goldfish wrote:Here you go :P

As weird as it is, when I use my goose call, and call with the back of my tounge (making G sounds instead of T sounds), and then I do a feeding chuckle, it can keep it going longer. Don't know if I'm working the muscles a certain way or why it is, but it's something I've noticed.

I think that pic might belong in the DD
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:02 pm

Tika or tiga works good. I've also used "Ten". Say it in a sequence like "tenentenenten". If that makes sense.
"There's something about sitting in a duck blind by the lake, staring zen like at the sky hour after after, then blasting one of Gods creatures out of the air. Man that is a great time." - Anthony Bourdain
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Westie25 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:09 pm

I can tik-tik all day long. I just roll it into a series.
Westie25

Postby huntall6 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:15 am

Westie25 wrote:I can tik-tik all day long. I just roll it into a series.

trust me on this. just do a tikkatikkatikka AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, CLEARLY!! no call, no noise, no breath needed. i probly did that for 3 weeks, 4-8hrs a day at work (worked on combines so nobody could see me). now i have it down pat, and have learned to mix in quacks and a bouncing hen into the middle of a contest feed. it is really all repetition.
Redbeard wrote:Buy not when. I hit that damne pole

Feelin' Fowl wrote:Big dick cakes are delicious!
huntall6

Postby Westie25 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:20 am

I find myself doing this a lot walking around the shop. Lol. I get a lot of strange looks.
Westie25

Postby benelliquackstacker » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:05 am

It took me forever to learn, but for me a gooda-gooda-gooda sound is how I learned.
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S

Thats right pilgrim were here to kill your women and rape your horses- Bootlipkiller (bootliplicker)
benelliquackstacker

Return to Duck Call Forum