Hevi Shot Q&A

Hevi Shot Q&A

Postby Nebraska » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:45 am

Ok guys I finally took the dive and bought the most controversial and most talk about shells. First I will say I got them for about $12.00 per box with rebates. If you want to know how message me and I will give you the details.

What I have done is wrote an extensive and detailed letter to the manufactures of Hevi Shot and specifically asked them to squash the rumors, and most importantly... Are we truly getting what we are paying for. It has been argued that Heavy Shot Duck shot is less dense than Hevi Shot Goose and even more so than lead. I will be shooting this stuff tomorrow and will give you my honest and unbiased opinion as far as performance and nothing more.

As far as the response from Hevi Shot i will post there response as soon as I get it.

My friends good hunting, be safe, and god bless!

HUNTER’S PRAYER

Father I ask that You keep everyone safe this season; in the woods and fields and in our going to and coming from our favorite hunting spots.

Give us all the steadiness of hand and eye to make the shot that will result in a quick, humane kill.

Mostly God, allow us all the opportunity to share Your Word with other hunters we come in contact with, especially those who do not know You. Thank You for the time spent in fellowship with family and friends.

Just as we have sat with our sons and daughters, Father, I ask that You take the seat beside each of us as we hunt.

Help us to have the wisdom and knowledge to be Christ like in every situation. Help us God to remain faithful to You and mindful of our actions a field.

For those of us who have tensions at home and work I pray that You will allow us to be refreshed in mind, body, and spirit as we hunt. Remind us as daylight dawns and we view in amazement all of Your creation, that You are constant, faithful, and in control.

As we walk the paths and trails, I pray that we become attentive to Your Holy Spirit so that You can also guide the paths You would have us take in life. Open our eyes and ears so that we can enjoy the wonders of the world You have provided.

Protect us from dangers seen and unseen.

And thank You for the wild fare You have provided both in the past and on this day.

We pray this in Jesus name. Amen.
Nebraska

Re: Hevi Shot Q&A

Postby assateague » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:07 am

Amen.
assateague

Postby jehler » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:22 pm

Far as I know all if the hevi goose and duck is the same density, that first year they change it up created quite the stir. Only way ti know for sure is to open one up, weigh it and see how much water it displaces. You can't trust anything the company tells you.

What size shot did you get, 6's are the best for mallard size birds. 4's are awesome on bug geese, 5's are a good mixed bag shell or for smaller geese.
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Nebraska » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:07 pm

jehler wrote:Far as I know all if the hevi goose and duck is the same density, that first year they change it up created quite the stir. Only way ti know for sure is to open one up, weigh it and see how much water it displaces. You can't trust anything the company tells you.

What size shot did you get, 6's are the best for mallard size birds. 4's are awesome on bug geese, 5's are a good mixed bag shell or for smaller geese.

I actually purchased the the Hevi Duck #2's and B's, we hunt over decoys but pretty big slough so birds tend to stay at a average of 40-45 yards. I'm pretty excited to use it gonna use my "T-2" Rob Roberts Choke.

As far as weighing the shot etc I will get online and see what better yet how to check density, well see. Thanks buddy good hunting, be safe.

-Nebraska 11/10/12
Nebraska

Postby jehler » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:19 pm

Nebraska, that hevi hit way harder than you think, that is the big advantage, when you shoot b's you loose the advantage because if low pellet count. We use hevi b for coyote loads. The drug patterns get tight also, don't over choke it or you'll be shooting a turkey load. I have a lot o experience with the stuff, patterned over a hundred loads of hevi, hit me up with any questions
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:20 pm

I have knocked down greater Canada's at 110 yards with hevi 2's ;). One I those Wyatt Earp "NO" moments lol!
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby assateague » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:42 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
assateague

Postby jehler » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:48 pm

That shouldn't be plural, it was a one time deal lol!
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Nebraska » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:52 pm

jehler wrote:I have knocked down greater Canada's at 110 yards with hevi 2's ;). One I those Wyatt Earp "NO" moments lol!

I will I'm sure there will be a lot of questions. Maybe I will choke down to T1 with the B, actually prob take the Bs back and pick up some 4's and 6's didn't realize they are that, I'm still in the "steel" frame of mind.

As far as your shot had one of those as well except it was pheasants, a double actually, hunting rabbits took two down with my little 22 cal. Browning. Both flushing at about 25 yards though. My buddies still talk about it till this day.
My first and only 15 seconds of fame.

If you don't mind I will take you up on the advice with this Hevi Shot. You think I should take B back. Were talking 40 maybe 45 yards tops when shooting geese and ducks. Thanks
Nebraska

Postby jehler » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:00 pm

Nebraska wrote:
jehler wrote:I have knocked down greater Canada's at 110 yards with hevi 2's ;). One I those Wyatt Earp "NO" moments lol!

I will I'm sure there will be a lot of questions. Maybe I will choke down to T1 with the B, actually prob take the Bs back and pick up some 4's and 6's didn't realize they are that, I'm still in the "steel" frame of mind.

As far as your shot had one of those as well except it was pheasants, a double actually, hunting rabbits took two down with my little 22 cal. Browning. Both flushing at about 25 yards though. My buddies still talk about it till this day.
My first and only 15 seconds of fame.

If you don't mind I will take you up on the advice with this Hevi Shot. You think I should take B back. Were talking 40 maybe 45 yards tops when shooting geese and ducks. Thanks

Yep, shoot me a pm and give me your email, il send you some screenshots of ballistics software data related to steel so you can see the difference. Quite amazing stuff.
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jarbo03 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:28 pm

I have shot some hevi-duck B's, nit sure what year they were fron, but they were definitely not regular hevi-shot. Believe they were 3" 1 1/4oz at 1500fps. Found them to be better on geese than ducks. Have a few left, will cut one open and weigh it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Shaun Patrick » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:16 pm

I am a hevi shot pro staffer just so you know, I feel if I don't announce that, Frank Lopez will hop out of the bushes and call me a shill again :lol: . Now to answer a few of your questions, although jehler answered some already, Several years back (2008 I believe) the density of hevi duck was changed from 12g/cc to 10g/cc. It was changed because testers in the field were having some great success with it, but when the public got ahold of it they did not agree and demanded the switch back to 12g/cc, which EMI did almost immediately, and it has been the same ever since. One of the advantages of shooting hevi shot is that it allows you to shoot several sizes smaller than steel does, and thus giving you more pellets in your pattern. For example, if you are shooting a hevi shot 2, it delivers the same energy as a steel BB or even BBB. So most of the time guys shoot hevi shot 4's or 5's at ducks and hevi shot 2's at geese. Personally, for geese, if I am not shooting hevi metal, I shoot hevi shot 3 1/2" hevi goose #2. If I were you and we are talking ducks here, I would take the b's back and get yourself some 4's, that way you have a much higher pellet count, and then keep those 2's for goose hunting. Hope this helps let me know if you have any other questions :beer:
Shaun Patrick

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:17 pm

Shaun Patrick wrote:I am a hevi shot pro staffer just so you know, I feel if I don't announce that, Frank Lopez will hop out of the bushes and call me a shill again :lol: . Now to answer a few of your questions, although jehler answered some already, Several years back (2008 I believe) the density of hevi duck was changed from 12g/cc to 10g/cc. It was changed because testers in the field were having some great success with it, but when the public got ahold of it they did not agree and demanded the switch back to 12g/cc, which EMI did almost immediately, and it has been the same ever since. One of the advantages of shooting hevi shot is that it allows you to shoot several sizes smaller than steel does, and thus giving you more pellets in your pattern. For example, if you are shooting a hevi shot 2, it delivers the same energy as a steel BB or even BBB. So most of the time guys shoot hevi shot 4's or 5's at ducks and hevi shot 2's at geese. Personally, for geese, if I am not shooting hevi metal, I shoot hevi shot 3 1/2" hevi goose #2. If I were you and we are talking ducks here, I would take the b's back and get yourself some 4's, that way you have a much higher pellet count, and then keep those 2's for goose hunting. Hope this helps let me know if you have any other questions :beer:

I never knew you staffed for EMI! :scooter:

While I don't have a need for them for waterfowl, I am finally going to cough up the dough and try out the hevi 13 turkey loads this year. Last year I couldn't get any of my birds within 40 yards. One was about 65 yards and the other 50. While I took them both with lead, they both took about a minute to finally die and I'd rather not have that. Do you have any experience with the turkey loads? If I normally shoot #5 3 1/2 lead, what should I convert that to in Hevi? Any recommendations?
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby jarbo03 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:24 pm

Hevi-13 #7 3" loads gave me 243 pellets in a 10" circle a few years back

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Shaun Patrick » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:19 am

Eric, I am by no means an accomplished turkey hunter lol, but I do pattern quite a bit for it. The shells that I have had the best luck with are 3 1/2" Magnum blend. Thats a blend of hevi 13 5,6,7 shot. Those are truly my favorite to shoot, and a lot of guys who are winning the big turkey patterning contests like the folks at indian creek chokes have switched over to shooting just Magnum blend. When you get into the hevi 13 shells every guy has their preference, to me magnum blend is kind of a best of both worlds type deal. I would seriously give that a hard look, one of our staffers last year who is a good buddy of mine dropped one at 71 yards using that shell.
Shaun Patrick

Postby moducksmacker » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:53 pm

Just my opinion, if your not shooting Hevi Metal your wasting time and money. At $19.40 after rebate you can not beat it. We are on our third case in three years of the 3" #3's. No more need for swatter loads with these.
moducksmacker

Postby birdman » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:14 am

I would advise using a #4 3 inch Hevi goose loads. I use that particular load occasionally and it works at any reasonable range for ducks and geese. B loads work for geese but, like the previous poster, cuts down on the number of pellets. Once you use HeviShot, you'll never go back to steel.
birdman

Return to Reloading & Shotshell Forum