new to 3" shotshell reloading

new to 3" shotshell reloading

Postby moducksmacker » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:34 am

Started loading last night and had an issue on the first shell. I have a MEC steelmaster and the issue is that the shell will not manually cycle through my 11-87, the bolt will not open when I try to pull it back. Any suggestions?
moducksmacker

Re: new to 3" shotshell reloading

Postby Olly » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:43 am

Welcome and we have two members here who are re-loading guys. Ned and Jehler, one of them will pipe in soon!
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Ned Swygard » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:33 am

moducksmacker wrote:Started loading last night and had an issue on the first shell. I have a MEC steelmaster and the issue is that the shell will not manually cycle through my 11-87, the bolt will not open when I try to pull it back. Any suggestions?

Take your barrel off and see if the reload will drop freely into the Chamber. If not your resizer is not doing the job and you need a new resizing ring from Mec. I only use a Mec Supersizer for resizing. Also take the section of the cleaning rod with the threads and attach a 10 gage wire brush and chuck it up in your 3/8" drill. Wrap pieces of 0000 stell wool around the brush. Lube it with WD40 and the chamber and polish the heck out of your chamber. Your 11-87 should cycle now. Good luck. Ned S
Ned Swygard

Postby jarbo03 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:28 am

PM sent By the way, were these Federal hulls, or previously fired?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Return to Reloading & Shotshell Forum