Hevi-Metal

Hevi-Metal

Postby banknote » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:54 pm

Any of you guys shoot this stuff? I tried some 3s and 2s. Killed some ducks with the 3s. I think I may have a bad lot of 2s. They don't hit shit, and when I've shot at cripples on the water with them, very little pattern hits the water, mostly I just see where the wad hits and the cripple keeps swimming. Any similar experiences? I know I need to shoot at some paper to see what's really going on, but I have zero confidence in these loads right now.

Think I'm going back to Winchester Xpert thats killed plenty of ducks for me at half the price.
banknote

Re: Hevi-Metal

Postby capt1972 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:21 pm

if it aint broke dont fix it
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby banknote » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:43 pm

capt1972 wrote:if it aint broke dont fix it

Brilliant, thanks.

I didn't search this subject here and should have. Still learning my way around the board. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, just wondering if anyone's had similar issues. I like the idea of more lethal loads and not crippling birds, and the 3s seemed to work as advertised, but the 2s I have shoot like blanks. This is through a 28" BPS with Briley modified choke.

I know, I need to shoot some paper.
banknote

Postby huntall6 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:47 pm

All the hevi metal I have tried through my bps or citori patterned like crap. Try kents with the bps. They pattern well for me at least....
Redbeard wrote:Buy not when. I hit that damne pole

Feelin' Fowl wrote:Big dick cakes are delicious!
huntall6

Postby obxbufflehead » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:17 pm

Just got a case of hevi metal for my birthday and so far it seems to be working well for me through my SBEll. Not crippling as many as I used to so far but that could just be the day.
MOhuntingGuy wrote:I bet they were home schooled and lack the necessary social skills in life to take a joke.
obxbufflehead

Postby Bufflehead » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:33 pm

huntall6 wrote:All the hevi metal I have tried through my bps or citori patterned like crap. Try kents with the bps. They pattern well for me at least....
x2 i shoot 3" #1 1.25 ounce fasteel through a factory mod choke in my BPS, patterns good for me.
Bufflehead

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:51 pm

banknote wrote:
capt1972 wrote:if it aint broke dont fix it

Brilliant, thanks.

I didn't search this subject here and should have. Still learning my way around the board. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, just wondering if anyone's had similar issues. I like the idea of more lethal loads and not crippling birds, and the 3s seemed to work as advertised, but the 2s I have shoot like blanks. This is through a 28" BPS with Briley modified choke.

I know, I need to shoot some paper.

He was just saying if the Xaperts were good for you, why change? Hevi metal isnt any better than good steel, but if thats the best patterning load through my gun, im gonna shoot it. I got lucky with Fed blue box. I get them for 70 a case and they are the best load through my gun.

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:33 pm

I got even luckier with Xpert #2 out of a factory M in my 870. Best pattern by far.
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:05 pm

32 grains STEEL powder, RSI SAM1 shotcup 1 1/8 oz #2's. 2 3/4" load and watch em drop :biggrin:
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:10 pm

Glad to see the madness has taken a firm grip. Give me first crack at anything you might be unloading to pay for reloading supplies. :lol:
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:21 pm

assateague wrote:Glad to see the madness has taken a firm grip. Give me first crack at anything you might be unloading to pay for reloading supplies. :lol:

:lol: just missed out on the xtrema2 I dumped
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:22 pm

I shot some of the #2's at honkers and really liked the way they dropped. Like panties on prom night.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:25 pm

Flightstopper wrote:
assateague wrote:Glad to see the madness has taken a firm grip. Give me first crack at anything you might be unloading to pay for reloading supplies. :lol:

:lol: just missed out on the xtrema2 I dumped

Too rich for my blood, I'm sure.

3legged_lab wrote:I shot some of the #2's at honkers and really liked the way they dropped. Like panties on prom night.

That's what I've used for years, ducks and geese. Even with the lower pattern density (man, I hate it when I use terms like that), I have no problem on ducks as small as buffies, and like you said, they drop Brant and geese no problem. Makes it much easier when packing the bag. Or were you talking about Hevi Metal? If so, you must be price-gouging your customers. :lol:
assateague

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:59 pm

Nope, I miss read the title, I've only shot the hevi steel. And I only went through 2 boxes during my chase for geese last year.

Only about half of my customers cry about the price, and they are the ones who could buy and sell me. Twice.

Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:04 pm

That's the way it always is. I hated doing work for rich people. Nickle and dime you to death.
assateague

Postby Olly » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:08 pm

They didn't get that money giving it away.

Sent using Tapatalk
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:31 pm

Olly wrote:They didn't get that money giving it away.

Sent using Tapatalk

I understand that, but Jim ain't joking they act like you are stealing their last buck. Want top notch, but only want to pay for top ramen.

sent from my Galaxy S3 using tapatalk 2
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby banknote » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:07 pm

Thanks for the feedback and entertainment. I'm headed back out there tomorrow with some 3" Xpert #2. We'll see what happens.
banknote

Postby assateague » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:23 pm

Personally, I love the Xperts (I know, I already said that). They've always worked great, and patterned great out of my 870. Killed everything from buffies to Canadas. The only drawback (and this is minor, since they all do to some degree) is that they corrode fast. I hunt 100% salt, and if I have any shells left at the end of the year, I may as well shoot them in the air or throw them in the trash, because they won't make it even close to next season before the bases are rusted so bad they won't chamber.
assateague

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:33 pm

I shot xperts exclusively for many years but switched to the kents this season because the xperts burn so dirty.

sent from my Galaxy S3 using tapatalk 2
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby teb » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:18 am

[/quote]He was just saying if the Xaperts were good for you, why change? Hevi metal isnt any better than good steel, but if thats the best patterning load through my gun, im gonna shoot it. I got lucky with Fed blue box. I get them for 70 a case and they are the best load through my gun.[/quote]

$70 is cheap. Can you always get a case for that price?
teb

Postby Ajverret » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:41 am

I shoot what ever I can't get for under 15$ a box and shoot a full choke in my beretta 391
" Quack Stackin "
16' Lake sport w/ 35GTR Stage 1
Ajverret

Postby banknote » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:00 am

assateague wrote:Personally, I love the Xperts (I know, I already said that). They've always worked great, and patterned great out of my 870. Killed everything from buffies to Canadas. The only drawback (and this is minor, since they all do to some degree) is that they corrode fast. I hunt 100% salt, and if I have any shells left at the end of the year, I may as well shoot them in the air or throw them in the trash, because they won't make it even close to next season before the bases are rusted so bad they won't chamber.

I've only been hunting fresh water, but have noticed some corrosion just starting on shells that got damp. So far they still shoot just fine. Ever try dousing them in WD40 or something like that?

3legged_lab wrote:I shot xperts exclusively for many years but switched to the kents this season because the xperts burn so dirty.

There's always a lot of gunk in my barrel after a day of shooting them, but I've never noticed the black cloud or sparks flying that I've read about.
banknote

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:20 am

teb wrote:
He was just saying if the Xaperts were good for you, why change? Hevi metal isnt any better than good steel, but if thats the best patterning load through my gun, im gonna shoot it. I got lucky with Fed blue box. I get them for 70 a case and they are the best load through my gun.[/quote]

$70 is cheap. Can you always get a case for that price?[/quote]
I have for the past 5 years.

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Shaun Patrick » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:23 am

I personally shoot 3" 3's for ducks, love that load. If you are having an issue with shells, I would give the folks at EMI a call, they have great customer service and will help you out.
Shaun Patrick

Postby jehler » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:36 am

Shaun Patrick wrote: they have great customer service and will help you out.

LOL'ed for real at that!
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Shaun Patrick » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:45 am

Why is that jehler? Don't bring up what I know you are going to, have you seriously ever called the CS at EMI? If you are having a shell issue they will make it right.
Shaun Patrick

Postby banknote » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:18 am

Shaun Patrick wrote:I personally shoot 3" 3's for ducks, love that load. If you are having an issue with shells, I would give the folks at EMI a call, they have great customer service and will help you out.

I'm going to pattern some of the #2's I have left and see what's going on. If it's truly fucked, I'll give them a call. The 3s seemed fine.
banknote

Postby Shaun Patrick » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:31 am

Yeah let them know whats up they will definitely want to hear about it. Also try throwing them on the pattern board. What choke are you using, that may have been answered earlier just has me wondering.
Shaun Patrick

Postby banknote » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:46 pm

Shaun Patrick wrote:Yeah let them know whats up they will definitely want to hear about it. Also try throwing them on the pattern board. What choke are you using, that may have been answered earlier just has me wondering.

Will do. I was shooting a Briley mod. Have since been using their light mod and have been killing more with other loads, but haven't tried the HM through it.
banknote

Next

Return to Reloading & Shotshell Forum