Just bought...

Just bought...

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:39 pm

...the Lee load-all 2. Never reloaded before and didn't want to spend a lot to start. Supposed to be here before the weekend. Got some shot on the way too. Where do I get powder from? And what is a Haz-Mat charge? Went to order some Reddot from midway USA and there was a $27 Haz-mat charge for a pound of powder...No thanks. Do they carry this stuff at sporting good stores? And do you guys have any preferences on wads for 1oz clay loads?

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Re: Just bought...

Postby jarbo03 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:55 pm

Local gun shops or shooting ranges usually have powder. I use the WAA12SL for 1oz loads, or the Claybusters clone wad. What kind of hulls or primers do you have?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:00 pm

jarbo03 wrote:Local gun shops or shooting ranges usually have powder. I use the WAA12SL for 1oz loads, or the Claybusters clone wad. What kind of hulls or primers do you have?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I have a mix of spent shells I've been saving up for the last few months. A lot of Remington, some federals, and some Winchester. Always bought what was on sale. Don't have primers yet. What kind should I buy? Thanks for the help in the wads. :thumbsup:

NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby johnsinger » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:46 pm

NuffDaddy,

There is a Gander Mountain in Saginaw and a Cabelas just opened there. There is also Dick Williams gun shop south of Saginaw. They all carry primers, powder, shot, and wads for reloading.

Check out this website: http://www.alliantpowder.com/
There you will find an on line reloader's guide.

Also, the Lee Load All that you are purchasing will come with information to get you started. Using a resource like the Alliant Reloader's Guide, pick a hull, a load and powder.

I would recommend against purchasing powder from an on line source. The haz-mat charges are the additional charges for the transportation of hazardous materials. As you have learned, they will beat you up.

Start small and learn (carefully) as you go. At this point, you should follow all recipes exactly as they are published by a reputable source.

After you know what you need for the loads you want, watch for the big state trap shoots at Mason. The first one is usually near the last weekend in April. Vendors will be there that sell components in bulk at very good prices. It will be worth your time and travel to go there to purchase shot alone.
johnsinger

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:04 pm

Thanks!!
The gander mountain is either going out of business or doing a aping cleaning because I was in there last week and everything was on sale and 2/3 of the store was empty. Cabelas sold out on everything the first week, so hopefully they will get some stuff back
In stock soon. Got a local gunshop that says on their website they have everything needed for reloading so I'm
Gonna check that out this week.

NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Return to Reloading & Shotshell Forum