SxS Point of Impact Issue Question

SxS Point of Impact Issue Question

Postby johnsinger » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:04 pm

I am hoping that Ned or somebody can help me with this one. I do not have a great deal of experience with double barrel guns.

I have an older Wards Model 50 Hercules (Stevens 5100) 16 gauge SxS double. The gun does not owe me a dime. I purchased for $100 last summer at a garage sale. I am just playing with it and learning. I hope to use it for upland hunting some time.

It appears to have the standard modified choke right barrel and full choke left barrel.

The right barrel shoots to point of aim and patterns evenly. The left barrel shoots a very sketchy pattern and it impacts left and low. I can smoke clays consistently with the right barrel, I cannot hit anything with the left barrel.

The left barrel appears to have some minor damage at the muzzle. It had a rough spot on the very end of the muzzle. In addition, the left barrel does not appear to have a uniform thickness at the muzzle.

I am seeking advice as to how to correct the point of impact of the left barrel. I am willing to open the choke some.

Is it possible to adjust the POI from the muzzle with a ream or a polishing technique?
johnsinger

Re: SxS Point of Impact Issue Question

Postby jarbo03 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:55 pm

My guess would be the choking is not centered in the barrel. A gunsmith should be able to straighten it up, as long as they center off the barrel and not the choke opening already there.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby jarbo03 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:59 pm

This is opening on my 16ga, had it opened and they did not center it, use a good gunsmith.

YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Tomkat » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:36 pm

Yeah? That sucks.

My bargain muzzle loader has a stuck breech plug. Time for some PB Blaster.

Sent with a bad ass phone from an undisclosed location in central Kansas.
Tomkat

Postby assateague » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:49 pm

TK, dumb some hydrogen peroxide in it, and let it stand in a corner for about an hour. Then dump that out, rinse it out quick, and dump in some Diet Coke, and let sit again. It will come right out.
assateague

Postby Tomkat » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:20 pm

Thanks Jim!! Does it work good??

Sent with a bad ass phone from an undisclosed location in central Kansas.
Tomkat

Postby assateague » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:25 pm

Yes. The peroxide will work on the black powder fouling, if that's what's got it locked up. The Diet Coke (it must be Diet Coke, name brand, don't know why) will work if it's rusted. I've done both, and yes, it works. Clean it very well afterwards, and oil the crap out of it. The peroxide especially will dry the barrel out.

Sorry for the hijack.
assateague

Postby johnsinger » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:25 am

jarbo03 wrote:This is opening on my 16ga, had it opened and they did not center it, use a good gunsmith.

Jarbo03, Does that gun shoot to point of aim? I do a lot of gunsmithing work. It may have been the barrel and not the gunsmith. Many, and likely most, shotguns do not uniform and straight barrels.
johnsinger

Postby johnsinger » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:20 pm

Just an update on this project gun of mine.

I did get the barrels to regulate. Both now shoot to point of aim. I first tried to open the left barrel slightly with an adjustable ream. The barrel was a full choke and I wanted open it to modified anyway. This brought the point of impact a few inches right but it was still off and low. I filed the muzzle flat across and ended up using a rotary stone in an electric drill to slightly "wow" the left hand barrel.

The left barrel now shoots a pattern that is a light modified and shoots perfectly to point of aim.

I have shot about a dozen rounds of skeet with the gun this summer and it shoots well.
johnsinger

Return to Reloading & Shotshell Forum