Plsstic fouling

Plsstic fouling

Postby rickman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:29 pm

I started to see a fouling build up near the start of the bore just out of the chamber and about 5 inch down bore, and some on the choke. This has gotten worse with a load that uses G 50 and G43 Gallandi wads, these wads feel kind of soft and i got to thinking is this my reason for getting this wad fouling.
Strange but my Browning seems less affected than a franchi with chrome bore, i would have thought the chrome would help stop fowling but it looks worse in this case. the plastic near the chamber is stubborn to move but in the choke area it is softer.
Are others getting this with the gallandis, will that mica dust help any. .
rickman

Re: Plsstic fouling

Postby jarbo03 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:20 am

I have only used them in the 16ga, never noticed any problems. Have you found any of the shot wads and checked them out?
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby R. Chapman » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:25 pm

Get some 000 fine steel wool, and rap it around at copper brush. Put a little bit of a low viscosity type gun oil on the steel/brush. Make sure the copper brush is a little bit over-size (10 gauge brush) and run that through the chamber until the plastic fouling as been removed. This should work. I have the same problem with my Perazz-Ma-Taz but it occurs right at the porting. I use this method to remove plastic fouling and it does wonders.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby R. Chapman » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:27 pm

My bad, I'm thinking of a back-bored barrel, just use a normal 12 gauge copper cleaning brush.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby rickman » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:15 pm

I have cleaned the bores and if i stay on top of cleaning them, i get less trouble moving the plastic, they do foul worse than sam 1s mms or TPS wads, i have found wads they look in poor shape bu not seen any scratches at all so must be doing their job. I wont buy anymore when i use these up.
rickman

Return to Reloading & Shotshell Forum