Top Gun or Cheddite?

Top Gun or Cheddite?

Postby Chest Rockwell » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:34 pm

Newbie to steel reloading and have a question for you 2 3/4 shooters.

I currently have a tub of once fired Top Guns. Thinking about using the data from L/S to reload them. My only concern is the basewad....being paper. Anyone use these for steel?

I have also looked at purchasing some new already primed Cheds. How do the two compare?

L/S has a some good once ounce loads for them both. Any concerns on these hulls?
Thanks
Chest
Chest Rockwell

Re: Top Gun or Cheddite?

Postby jehler » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:58 pm

I like them both...kinda. The paper base is usually fine unless they have been wet. A flashlight is your friend. Of the paper looks loose or swollen pitch it. I only reload them one time and pitch them.

The cheddites new, the last batch I got from BPI had Nobel primers rather than cheddite. They sucked eggs. I punch them out and load with a cci 209m. Cheddite primers are alright if that's what they are.

Sasquatch hunting expert
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Chest Rockwell » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:00 pm

Jehler thanks for the reply. How long ago did ya buy those Cheedites? I think BPI has them on sale now....might be wrong though. I've looked at so many websites the last couple of days....my head is spinning.

Im prolly going to have more questions if ya dont mind. Have you ever used the PR wads from the LS manual? I believe they are rated for 3s and smaller. I was wanting to run 1s or 2s. Think I would run into any probs? I know 1oz of 1s wouldnt have that much shot...but imho would make one heck of a decoying load.

Thanks
Chest
Chest Rockwell

Postby jehler » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:27 pm

Was probably 2010 the last time I ordered hulls. Even if you have to replace the primer they're a good deal

Sasquatch hunting expert
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:27 pm

I have used those wads with up to bb

Sasquatch hunting expert
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby dog walker » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:06 am

There is a guy on gun broker that is selling new primed hulls,they have true tracer stamped on the base. These are cheddites. They are selling for 50 a thousand with ppd. It's a very good deal,he only has 2 3/4" hulls.

As a matter of fact I don't think he has many left from what I heard.
dog walker

Postby Chest Rockwell » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:56 am

Jehler... thanks for the info

Dog...thanks too. I will have to check it out. Sounds like a good deal
Chest Rockwell

Postby Chest Rockwell » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:06 pm

Jehler...another question.

I have recently been cooking up several different recipes to pattern next week. I tried to reload LS2 #13 (Fed paper bw) and ran into problems. It seems the hulls doesn't have enough volume to take that much of a powder charger. Have you (or anybody else) tried this load. I then backed down to #11 and had the same probs. When I went to dump the shot into the wad...I could instantly tell I was going to be short on space for a good crimp. Hope this makes sense.

I ended up using #15....and it seems 35 grains is the max this hull will allow.

I did end up buying some of the Cheds...had zero probs with them.

Thanks again
Chest
Chest Rockwell

Postby jehler » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:42 am

Chest Rockwell wrote:Jehler...another question.

I have recently been cooking up several different recipes to pattern next week. I tried to reload LS2 #13 (Fed paper bw) and ran into problems. It seems the hulls doesn't have enough volume to take that much of a powder charger. Have you (or anybody else) tried this load. I then backed down to #11 and had the same probs. When I went to dump the shot into the wad...I could instantly tell I was going to be short on space for a good crimp. Hope this makes sense.

I ended up using #15....and it seems 35 grains is the max this hull will allow.

I did end up buying some of the Cheds...had zero probs with them.

Thanks again
Chest

I have only a little experience with the lightning steel loads. I would have to go look at the book to know what lapds your talking about but Im gonna assume they were the 7/8 loads? Those are the only ones I have had problems with. The solution is to put an assload of was pressure on to the wad when the shot is already in the wad. I put a plastic cap from a tube of something or other into the drop tube of my size masters to do this. Also, could be that paper was was wet and expanded. Could be the base in those gulls are a little taller than what the recipe was written with. There is lots of inconsistencies in hulls, even of the same manufacture. If you can't get it let me know, I'll give you the email of the guy that wrote the lightning steel load, he will be holy to give you a cal and talk ya through it, real nice guy
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Chest Rockwell » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:08 pm

Jehler thanks for the reply.

I tried putting more pressure on the wads...I ran into buckling the bottom portion of the hull. I'm too nervous about packing everything so tightly....I only shoot a 3" Affinity and don't have the means of pressure testing the loads.

I found a decent but slower recipe from the Lyman's manual that loaded fine...using the Sam 1 wad. I'm going to pattern it too...who knows that skinny bored Franchi might like the slower load better.

Thanks again...really appreciate it
Chest
Chest Rockwell

Postby Ned S » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:25 pm

Try plutting 80lb pressure on the shot before crimping. Use a short piece of 1/2" wood dowel. I have no problems loading top Guns. Any paper basewad hull I only load once then pitch them. Ned S
Ned S

Return to Reloading & Shotshell Forum