berger vld hunting

Re: berger vld hunting

Postby R. Chapman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:58 pm

assateague wrote:I don't think the TSXs I've used were all copper. I recovered one from a deer, and it was blown open pretty good, and in almost positive the center was lead. But this was about 4 years ago, with the .25-06 I no longer have.

Why'd you get rid of a .25-06?
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby chodebelding » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:03 pm

assateague wrote:I don't think the TSXs I've used were all copper. I recovered one from a deer, and it was blown open pretty good, and in almost positive the center was lead. But this was about 4 years ago, with the .25-06 I no longer have.

Purpose:
The TSX was introduced in 2003 and has become Barnes’ most popular hunting bullet. The TSX has gained worldwide recognition as one of the deadliest, most dependable bullets you can buy. Try these all-copper bullets and realize the added benefits of improved accuracy, reduced barrel fouling and increased velocity.

from the barnes website. link http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/c ... sx-bullet/
chodebelding

Postby assateague » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:04 pm

I shot the barrel out of it, but gander mountain was nice enough to give me decent cash. I don't reload, but a buddy did, and that's what I shot out of it. A 90 grain Barnes TSX was all I know, going 4000fps or some shit. It went from a tack driver that would drop deer like they'd been pole axed to shooting 5" groups at 50 yards. And I lost all the farms I had to hunt where I had longer shots, so just took the cash and bought about 8 boxes of .35.
assateague

Postby R. Chapman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:06 pm

assateague wrote:I shot the barrel out of it, but gander mountain was nice enough to give me decent cash. I don't reload, but a buddy did, and that's what I shot out of it. A 90 grain Barnes TSX was all I know, going 4000fps or some shit. It went from a tack driver that would drop deer like they'd been pole axed to shooting 5" groups at 50 yards. And I lost all the farms I had to hunt where I had longer shots, so just took the cash and bought about 8 boxes of .35.

What .35 cartridge? I going to get one. Whether it be a Whelen, Remington Mag, or Winchester.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby assateague » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:09 pm

Remington. I've had the Marlin 336 for about 15-16 years, and since getting rid of the .25, haven't hunted with anything else. I love that gun and that round.
assateague

Postby R. Chapman » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:11 pm

assateague wrote:Remington. I've had the Marlin 336 for about 15-16 years, and since getting rid of the .25, haven't hunted with anything else. I love that gun and that round.

Anything .35 is flat bad on game. If everyone hunted with one and kept the distance reasonable, that would be the all around cartridge for game in NA period.
R. Chapman

Previous

Return to Reloading & Shotshell Forum