Reloading with Rex.

Re: Reloading with Rex.

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:54 am

R. Chapman wrote:My TC Venture is a Bill Hicks run that was chambered in 6.5-284 Norma. Just the other day I had a 3 shot group from edge to edge that measured at 0.330". Center to center would have probably been small.

Bill Hicks?
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby AKPirate » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:02 am

Eric Haynes wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:My TC Venture is a Bill Hicks run that was chambered in 6.5-284 Norma. Just the other day I had a 3 shot group from edge to edge that measured at 0.330". Center to center would have probably been small.

Bill Hicks?

Joe Hicks brother
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:04 am

AKPirate wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

Bill Hicks?

Joe Hicks brother

THE Bill Hicks or some gun faggot Bill Hicks?
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Bootlipkiller » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:08 am

It's stu's sisters nephew
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby RonE » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:10 am

Eric Haynes wrote:

Bill Hicks?

If you change the 'S' to an 'I' and move it to the front and change the 'B' to an 'S' and add 'be a' between the 'l and the H' you get : "I still be a hick". Coincidence? I think not.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:20 am

Eric Haynes wrote:
AKPirate wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

Bill Hicks?

Joe Hicks brother

THE Bill Hicks or some gun faggot Bill Hicks?

Dont think they mean the stand up comedian buddy.:lol:
Who really runs the prison? The inmates or the guards?
GadwallGetter530

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:53 am

So the gun faggot version..
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby R. Chapman » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:22 pm

Custom Gun Maker that puts out special runs of certain guns every now and then.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:25 pm

R. Chapman wrote:Custom Gun Maker that puts out special runs of certain guns every now and then.

Sounds like a loser.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:33 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:Custom Gun Maker that puts out special runs of certain guns every now and then.

Sounds like a loser.

Eric's fishin hard.:lol:
GadwallGetter530

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:35 pm

GadwallGetter530 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

Sounds like a loser.

Hardly. I just looked his work up. Complete ametuer garbage!
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:36 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
GadwallGetter530 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

Sounds like a loser.

:lol: oh god. Don't make Rex angry, you wouldn't like him when he's angry.
GadwallGetter530

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:40 pm

GadwallGetter530 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
GadwallGetter530 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

Sounds like a loser.

I like Stu's work much more.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:09 pm

GadwallGetter530 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
GadwallGetter530 wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

Sounds like a loser.

uploadfromtaptalk1402603802245.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby sws002 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:13 pm

That's not even close to accurate.

Bill Hicks is a distributor, as in dealers purchase guns, ammo and the like from them (in lieu of purchasing them directly from the manufacturers). Sometimes dealers and/or distributors will special runs of guns made especially for them. If a dealer (Bass Pro/Cabelas/Scheels) has an exclusive model made for them, you can only get them through that particular dealer. If a distributor (Bill Hicks, Sports South, AcuSport, Lipseys) has a special run made, any dealer who has an account with that distributor can order from them.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby bill herian » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:39 pm

clampdaddy wrote:
assateague wrote:Know how many shots count? The first one. That's it.

Ever spend a day burning ammo on varmints?

It doesn't take all day if hit them with the first shot.
bill herian

Postby clampdaddy » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:24 am

bill herian wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

That's going to depend on how many rodents you shoot in a day. Unfortunately, I've never been able to line up a couple hundred ground squirrels so I could take them all out with one shot so I may have to take a few hundred "first shots" in fairly rapid succession.
Last edited by clampdaddy on Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
clampdaddy

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:27 am

clampdaddy wrote:
bill herian wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

That's going to depend on how many rodents you shoot in a day. Unfortunately, I've never been able to line up a couple hundred ground squirrels so I could take them all out with one shot.

But if you shoot each one with the first shot you'll burn less ammo.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby clampdaddy » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:40 am

3legged_lab wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:
bill herian wrote:
clampdaddy wrote:

That's going to depend on how many rodents you shoot in a day. Unfortunately, I've never been able to line up a couple hundred ground squirrels so I could take them all out with one shot.

But if you shoot each one with the first shot you'll burn less ammo.

Yes. That goes without saying. My point is that if you take multiple first shots in a relatively short amount of time you are going to want to know that all of those shots will go where you want them. Knowing how many shots you can fire before accuracy degrades due to heat variations and fouling will save you a few rounds of ammo at the end of the day.
clampdaddy

Postby RonE » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:07 am

Yes. That goes without saying. My point is that if you take multiple first shots in a relatively short amount of time you are going to want to know that all of those shots will go where you want them. Knowing how many shots you can fire before accuracy degrades due to heat variations and fouling will save you a few rounds of ammo at the end of the day.

Or, you can take an ice chest full of beer a bore brush and swab and a shade canopy and make it a leisurely day and not worry about over heating your smoke pole. Finding a large colony of white shouldered ground squirrels is every varmint shooters ideal.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby clampdaddy » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:48 am

Hell yes to the ice chest, but I'd rather bring multiple rifles and swap them out for cooloing sessions while I'm blazing away. I have a couple rigs that are only good for a few shots at a time but definitely wouldn't want to solely rely on them and be held up, waiting for my equipment every three to five shots though.
Last edited by clampdaddy on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
clampdaddy

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:53 am

We're just flicking you shit clamp.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby clampdaddy » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:59 am

3legged_lab wrote:We're just flicking you shit clamp.

I know. I just like to argue.......so my wife says. :lol:
clampdaddy

Postby one2many » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:57 pm

Rex, fine production you made. Well done kid.

However there are some things that will help you out.

1st look for a media tumbler. They don’t cost all that much and your brass will be shiny and new looking.

2nd Get a case gauge for the cartridge you are reloading for. Do not believe that screwing your sizing die down to the shell holder will properly size it. If in time you become more proficient with loading and shooting GET CUSTOM DIES MADE FROM YOUR CHAMBER REAMER.

3rd when you get good at everyday “fun” reloading and want to take the next step. Buy a good digital scale and weigh and sort your brass by weight. It’s a must in hyper performance.

4th buy a Stoney Point or Hornady OAL gauge and learn how to use it. In your factory chambers I would say most loads like a .010” to .015” “jump” to that lands. When you take the next step and go to a custom action that can handle the extra pressure you can start to “jam” to the lands. Each rifle is a little different. I have some that just like to touch the lands and others(made with same reamer)that shoot best with a .005” or so jam

5th buy or make some reloading blocks!!

6th buy a lube pad( RCBS Case Lube Pad works fine) and a spray lube to go onto the pad(HORNADY ONE SHOT SPRAY CASE LUBE or RCBS CASE SLICK SPRAY LUBE) are a couple of the many out there. When I watch your video I only seen you dab a little on the throat but you should be doing all of the body if you are using a full length sizing die. Which you should

7th for God’s sake boy, buy a fucking hand priming tool. They way you are doing is a huge pain in the ass!!!! And I haven’t seen anyone do it that way since I was a little boy in the 70s. They don’t cost much and there are lots to choose from.
8th the reloading press is fine. I have redding, lee,Wilson and rcbs. I have seen guys pull into a shoot in a million dollar Prevost and have a rcbs set up in the trailer pulled by the big RV. Most guys will load at the event just before heading to the line. We have load data for the heat humidity and pressure. its crazy

9th buy Toney Boyer’s book “The Book of Rifle Accuracy”
Tony is hands down the greatest, period!
If you get the chance to attend one of his seminars do it

And finally(since I don’t want to anyone, or want Jim toss out the “sniper” comment. Watch your self shoot. Do you see how the the stock of the rifle is jumping up(way up) when you fire? That’s terrible. And its do to not having good bags and bad bench technique. That rifle should slide straight back into your shoulder the front of the forearm should never ever come off the bag.
Your little Caldwell (cheap) front rest is fine for what you are doing. But real Benchrest shooting its not even close to what you need. I have told you what to buy for a rest and everything else. Save up your money and buy what real Benchrest shooters use. The so called Benchrest shooters you say are tossing their gold ring optics and buying the vortex scopes is bull shit. Here is the list of the brands of scopes that rule Bechchrest . Luppy, Nightforce, and March. Yes there are guys shooting Weaver target as to Sightron target scopes. And at your “clup maybe a few dudes shoot what you have. But full on Comp Benchrest shooters use what I listed.

Its not a cheap game. The stuff is high priced. Lots of the old guys that are at the top of this game have money. The will pull into an event in high dollar RVs. The spend more money on wind flags then what you have wrapped up into your whole rig. I had to be frugal, and saved lots of money doing my own riflesmithing. Guys will order 6-10 new tubes just to find one that will meet their standards. On a side note these guys are great to learn from and most all of them will help you out and even take you under their wings and teach you everything you need to know. You will more then likely shoot over their flags. Just help them out the best you can with setting flags carrying stuff for them and they will teach you shit that cant be learned on the internet or buy guys in your little club.

Keep your eyes and ears open and leave your cocky attitude in the parking lot. Your bullshiting will not fly with these guys. Just be polite and leave your “3 shot group mastery “ at home it will not go over well with the guys. No matter how well you shoot at home it don’t mean shit till you do it in a legit comp.
with your enthusiasm and your age. You could be the next Tony Boyer. I doubt it,because even his wife will out shoot most men.
It a very fun sport with mostly great people. I enjoy the hell out of it even thou I don’t compete as much as I use to….but damn it I like being the best at a video game lol
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
one2many

Postby assateague » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:56 pm

To be clear, I have nothing against bench rest shooting at all. I'm sure it's great fun for those that enjoy it. I just take umbrage when some folks translate "I'm a sub MOA at 1000 yards shooter" into "so it makes me the best hunter/wingshooter there ever was" type attitude. Take it for what it is and enjoy it. Just don't make it out like you're now Chris Kyle or some shit.

I'm an excellent cheapskate, but that doesn't mean I'd make a good banker.
assateague

Postby one2many » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:29 pm

assateague wrote:To be clear, I have nothing against bench rest shooting at all. I'm sure it's great fun for those that enjoy it. I just take umbrage when some folks translate "I'm a sub MOA at 1000 yards shooter" into "so it makes me the best hunter/wingshooter there ever was" type attitude. Take it for what it is and enjoy it. Just don't make it out like you're now Chris Kyle or some shit.

I'm an excellent cheapskate, but that doesn't mean I'd make a good banker.

Jim im terrible with a shot gun. cross eye dominate and a big head. i will never be good at shooting dove or high speed teal.
from your time in the service im sure you know that the easiest part of a snipers job is putting rounds on target. the rest of the stuff is were they earn their bravo 4 patch. i have have shot the range at Ft Benning with my father who was stationed there just before deployment to the jungle.i have watched what the sniper classes go through and most of that shit blows my mind,and most cases i cuoldnt evebn see the stuff they pointed out to me even when they would walk down to the tree line and stand next to it and point out
with all this being said. i will shoot with anyone that wants to shoot. Benchrest rifles are the best in the world far superior to what are service members use in the field.their need in a rifle that will fire at all times limits them to what they can use.our guns dont have safeties trigger pull under an ounce and are designed to ride a rest. no sniper is going to be belly crawling with all out equipment. chris kyle made him self a name but i would never put him near the top of American snipers with Chuck Mawhinney,Carlos Hathcock. im sure you know their names. apples to oranges them two vs kyle.\
my regular sod puddle rifles will shoot .125 most all day and my Benchrest only will shoot .0xx when im on.
hitting RMFC black gong would be nothing if the winds held true out to 800+ meters

i will never ever compare my self to any real sniper.i how ever can shoot and hit targets very well. both in IBS comps and NBRSA comps.

besides i dont blend into my suroundings very well i stick out like a turd in a punch bowl everywhere :beer:
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
one2many

Postby R. Chapman » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:49 am

one2many wrote:Rex, fine production you made. Well done kid.

1st look for a media tumbler. They don’t cost all that much and your brass will be shiny and new looking.

2nd Get a case gauge for the cartridge you are reloading for. Do not believe that screwing your sizing die down to the shell holder will properly size it. If in time you become more proficient with loading and shooting GET CUSTOM DIES MADE FROM YOUR CHAMBER REAMER.

3rd when you get good at everyday “fun” reloading and want to take the next step. Buy a good digital scale and weigh and sort your brass by weight. It’s a must in hyper performance.

4th buy a Stoney Point or Hornady OAL gauge and learn how to use it. In your factory chambers I would say most loads like a .010” to .015” “jump” to that lands. When you take the next step and go to a custom action that can handle the extra pressure you can start to “jam” to the lands. Each rifle is a little different. I have some that just like to touch the lands and others(made with same reamer)that shoot best with a .005” or so jam

6th buy a lube pad( RCBS Case Lube Pad works fine) and a spray lube to go onto the pad(HORNADY ONE SHOT SPRAY CASE LUBE or RCBS CASE SLICK SPRAY LUBE) are a couple of the many out there. When I watch your video I only seen you dab a little on the throat but you should be doing all of the body if you are using a full length sizing die. Which you should

7th for God’s sake boy, buy a fucking hand priming tool. They way you are doing is a huge pain in the ass!!!! And I haven’t seen anyone do it that way since I was a little boy in the 70s. They don’t cost much and there are lots to choose from.
8th the reloading press is fine. I have redding, lee,Wilson and rcbs. I have seen guys pull into a shoot in a million dollar Prevost and have a rcbs set up in the trailer pulled by the big RV. Most guys will load at the event just before heading to the line. We have load data for the heat humidity and pressure. its crazy

And finally(since I don’t want to anyone, or want Jim toss out the “sniper” comment. Watch your self shoot. Do you see how the the stock of the rifle is jumping up(way up) when you fire? That’s terrible. And its do to not having good bags and bad bench technique. That rifle should slide straight back into your shoulder the front of the forearm should never ever come off the bag.
Your little Caldwell (cheap) front rest is fine for what you are doing. But real Benchrest shooting its not even close to what you need. I have told you what to buy for a rest and everything else. Save up your money and buy what real Benchrest shooters use. The so called Benchrest shooters you say are tossing their gold ring optics and buying the vortex scopes is bull shit. Here is the list of the brands of scopes that rule Bechchrest . Luppy, Nightforce, and March. Yes there are guys shooting Weaver target as to Sightron target scopes. And at your “clup maybe a few dudes shoot what you have. But full on Comp Benchrest shooters use what I listed.

Its not a cheap game. The stuff is high priced. Lots of the old guys that are at the top of this game have money. The will pull into an event in high dollar RVs. The spend more money on wind flags then what you have wrapped up into your whole rig. I had to be frugal, and saved lots of money doing my own riflesmithing. Guys will order 6-10 new tubes just to find one that will meet their standards. On a side note these guys are great to learn from and most all of them will help you out and even take you under their wings and teach you everything you need to know. You will more then likely shoot over their flags. Just help them out the best you can with setting flags carrying stuff for them and they will teach you shit that cant be learned on the internet or buy guys in your little club.

Keep your eyes and ears open and leave your cocky attitude in the parking lot. Your bullshiting will not fly with these guys. Just be polite and leave your “3 shot group mastery “ at home it will not go over well with the guys. No matter how well you shoot at home it don’t mean shit till you do it in a legit comp.
with your enthusiasm and your age. You could be the next Tony Boyer. I doubt it,because even his wife will out shoot most men.
It a very fun sport with mostly great people. I enjoy the hell out of it even thou I don’t compete as much as I use to….but damn it I like being the best at a video game lol

In that video I was using a neck sizer. Hence the reason why I only applied lube to the mouth of the case.

As far as scales goes, I'm putting away half my tip money for a GemPro 250 that measures to the 1/100s of a grain with +- 2/100s of a grain.

I have a a different way of finding OAL cartridge length using a cheap carbon fiber rod.

I have a butt load of reloading blocks. I hate using them for loading cartridges. I like a slick, flat, even table. That's what works for me. I use my loading blocks to sort casings for number of firings.

Can't stand that sticky shit RCBS lube or others. Had way too many dented case shoulders with those types of lubes because they get galled up in the die. Sizing wax for me whether it be Redding/Imperial or Hornady.

Hand priming tools can suck my dick :lol:. I've broken three of those things because they just wear out too easily. When I sit down to reload, I take my time. I don't care if it takes me 3 hours.

Now I am glad that you mentioned the Forend jump. After downloaded the video to my compuker, I realized what I was doing wrong. I only had about 1/4" of gap between the front the rest and the sling swivel stud. For some reason that day, I forgot I need to have about 1.5-2" of space between the bag and the stud.

Lastly, I'm not getting into BR, but am going to be getting into F-Class TR. I've decided to quit trap shooting. I just got to the point where I wasn't having fun anymore and could stand to be around all of the arrogant cock suckers in the game. :thumbsup:
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby Eric Haynes » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:35 am

R. Chapman wrote:

In that video I was using a neck sizer. Hence the reason why I only applied lube to the mouth of the case.

As far as scales goes, I'm putting away half my tip money for a GemPro 250 that measures to the 1/100s of a grain with +- 2/100s of a grain.

I have a a different way of finding OAL cartridge length using a cheap carbon fiber rod.

I have a butt load of reloading blocks. I hate using them for loading cartridges. I like a slick, flat, even table. That's what works for me. I use my loading blocks to sort casings for number of firings.

Can't stand that sticky shit RCBS lube or others. Had way too many dented case shoulders with those types of lubes because they get galled up in the die. Sizing wax for me whether it be Redding/Imperial or Hornady.

Hand priming tools can suck my dick :lol:. I've broken three of those things because they just wear out too easily. When I sit down to reload, I take my time. I don't care if it takes me 3 hours.

Now I am glad that you mentioned the Forend jump. After downloaded the video to my compuker, I realized what I was doing wrong. I only had about 1/4" of gap between the front the rest and the sling swivel stud. For some reason that day, I forgot I need to have about 1.5-2" of space between the bag and the stud.

Lastly, I'm not getting into BR, but am going to be getting into F-Class TR. I've decided to quit trap shooting. I just got to the point where I wasn't having fun anymore and could stand to be around all of the arrogant cock suckers in the game. :thumbsup:

I think you should have stuck with the trap shooting. I know I'd rather be busting clays than docking around with a paper target.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby R. Chapman » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:01 am

Eric Haynes wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:

I think you should have stuck with the trap shooting. I know I'd rather be busting clays than docking around with a paper target.

Eric, I love trap shooting, don't get me wrong there. But when it gets to the point where you aren't having fun and really want to punch 90% of the trapshooters in the face a few times because they are arrogant pricks. Yep, you probably need to quit, or at least take a good long break. Last Saturday it has been 2 months since I had shot at a clay target. I did fine. What pissed me off was to walk into the club house and say to one of the club officers "Hey, how's things going today?" Only to get a snotty reply of "Don't talk me!". Yep. That's enough. Didn't even pay for my round. Told them to cram it up their ass and shit it out their mouth. It's hard to be in a place where you don't feel welcomed.
R. Chapman

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:03 am

R. Chapman wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:

Eric, I love trap shooting, don't get me wrong there. But when it gets to the point where you aren't having fun and really want to punch 90% of the trapshooters in the face a few times because they are arrogant pricks. Yep, you probably need to quit, or at least take a good long break. Last Saturday it has been 2 months since I had shot at a clay target. I did fine. What pissed me off was to walk into the club house and say to one of the club officers "Hey, how's things going today?" Only to get a snotty reply of "Don't talk me!". Yep. That's enough. Didn't even pay for my round. Told them to cram it up their ass and shit it out their mouth. It's hard to be in a place where you don't feel welcomed.

What's the other side of the story on that one Rex?
You say something cross about his wife?
FlintRiverFowler

PreviousNext

Return to Reloading & Shotshell Forum