Reloading with Rex.

Re: Reloading with Rex.

Postby R. Chapman » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:25 am

No. They're just a bunch of arrogant assholes.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman
 
Posts: 6137
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:48 pm
Location: Helena, MT

Re: Reloading with Rex.

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:27 pm

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
User avatar
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter
 
Posts: 17344
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:19 pm
Location: OREGON

Re: Reloading with Rex.

Postby one2many » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:11 pm

R. Chapman wrote:
one2many wrote:Rex, fine production you made. Well done kid.

However there are some things that will help you out.

1st look for a media tumbler. They don’t cost all that much and your brass will be shiny and new looking.

2nd Get a case gauge for the cartridge you are reloading for. Do not believe that screwing your sizing die down to the shell holder will properly size it. If in time you become more proficient with loading and shooting GET CUSTOM DIES MADE FROM YOUR CHAMBER REAMER.

3rd when you get good at everyday “fun” reloading and want to take the next step. Buy a good digital scale and weigh and sort your brass by weight. It’s a must in hyper performance.

4th buy a Stoney Point or Hornady OAL gauge and learn how to use it. In your factory chambers I would say most loads like a .010” to .015” “jump” to that lands. When you take the next step and go to a custom action that can handle the extra pressure you can start to “jam” to the lands. Each rifle is a little different. I have some that just like to touch the lands and others(made with same reamer)that shoot best with a .005” or so jam

5th buy or make some reloading blocks!!

6th buy a lube pad( RCBS Case Lube Pad works fine) and a spray lube to go onto the pad(HORNADY ONE SHOT SPRAY CASE LUBE or RCBS CASE SLICK SPRAY LUBE) are a couple of the many out there. When I watch your video I only seen you dab a little on the throat but you should be doing all of the body if you are using a full length sizing die. Which you should

7th for God’s sake boy, buy a fucking hand priming tool. They way you are doing is a huge pain in the ass!!!! And I haven’t seen anyone do it that way since I was a little boy in the 70s. They don’t cost much and there are lots to choose from.
8th the reloading press is fine. I have redding, lee,Wilson and rcbs. I have seen guys pull into a shoot in a million dollar Prevost and have a rcbs set up in the trailer pulled by the big RV. Most guys will load at the event just before heading to the line. We have load data for the heat humidity and pressure. its crazy

9th buy Toney Boyer’s book “The Book of Rifle Accuracy”
Tony is hands down the greatest, period!
If you get the chance to attend one of his seminars do it

And finally(since I don’t want to anyone, or want Jim toss out the “sniper” comment. Watch your self shoot. Do you see how the the stock of the rifle is jumping up(way up) when you fire? That’s terrible. And its do to not having good bags and bad bench technique. That rifle should slide straight back into your shoulder the front of the forearm should never ever come off the bag.
Your little Caldwell (cheap) front rest is fine for what you are doing. But real Benchrest shooting its not even close to what you need. I have told you what to buy for a rest and everything else. Save up your money and buy what real Benchrest shooters use. The so called Benchrest shooters you say are tossing their gold ring optics and buying the vortex scopes is bull shit. Here is the list of the brands of scopes that rule Bechchrest . Luppy, Nightforce, and March. Yes there are guys shooting Weaver target as to Sightron target scopes. And at your “clup maybe a few dudes shoot what you have. But full on Comp Benchrest shooters use what I listed.

Its not a cheap game. The stuff is high priced. Lots of the old guys that are at the top of this game have money. The will pull into an event in high dollar RVs. The spend more money on wind flags then what you have wrapped up into your whole rig. I had to be frugal, and saved lots of money doing my own riflesmithing. Guys will order 6-10 new tubes just to find one that will meet their standards. On a side note these guys are great to learn from and most all of them will help you out and even take you under their wings and teach you everything you need to know. You will more then likely shoot over their flags. Just help them out the best you can with setting flags carrying stuff for them and they will teach you shit that cant be learned on the internet or buy guys in your little club.

Keep your eyes and ears open and leave your cocky attitude in the parking lot. Your bullshiting will not fly with these guys. Just be polite and leave your “3 shot group mastery “ at home it will not go over well with the guys. No matter how well you shoot at home it don’t mean shit till you do it in a legit comp.
with your enthusiasm and your age. You could be the next Tony Boyer. I doubt it,because even his wife will out shoot most men.
It a very fun sport with mostly great people. I enjoy the hell out of it even thou I don’t compete as much as I use to….but damn it I like being the best at a video game lol

In that video I was using a neck sizer. Hence the reason why I only applied lube to the mouth of the case.

As far as scales goes, I'm putting away half my tip money for a GemPro 250 that measures to the 1/100s of a grain with +- 2/100s of a grain.

I have a a different way of finding OAL cartridge length using a cheap carbon fiber rod.

I have a butt load of reloading blocks. I hate using them for loading cartridges. I like a slick, flat, even table. That's what works for me. I use my loading blocks to sort casings for number of firings.

Can't stand that sticky shit RCBS lube or others. Had way too many dented case shoulders with those types of lubes because they get galled up in the die. Sizing wax for me whether it be Redding/Imperial or Hornady. then you are fucking up in your reloading

Hand priming tools can suck my dick :lol:. I've broken three of those things because they just wear out too easily. When I sit down to reload, I take my time. I don't care if it takes me 3 hours.then you are fucking up in your reloading. we all use a good hand priming tool

Now I am glad that you mentioned the Forend jump. After downloaded the video to my compuker, I realized what I was doing wrong. I only had about 1/4" of gap between the front the rest and the sling swivel stud. For some reason that day, I forgot I need to have about 1.5-2" of space between the bag and the stud.your bench skills are lacking and you have shit bags. if your are going to keep and use that caldwell burn the bags and buy good ones. when you can afford a real front rest buy one. i told you about Seb's rest for the money they cant be beat

Lastly, I'm not getting into BR, but am going to be getting into F-Class TR. I've decided to quit trap shooting. I just got to the point where I wasn't having fun anymore and could stand to be around all of the arrogant cock suckers in the game. :thumbsup:
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
User avatar
one2many
 
Posts: 5012
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:55 pm
Location: 37 miles from the middle of nowhere

Re: Reloading with Rex.

Postby R. Chapman » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:57 pm

One question. Actually two. How am my fucking up my reloading by using a different case lube?

Second. What's the difference if I use a different seating system? Don't they both seat the primer?
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman
 
Posts: 6137
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:48 pm
Location: Helena, MT

Re: Reloading with Rex.

Postby assateague » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:01 pm

Δεν μπορώ να καταλάβω ένα πράγμα βλασφημίας είναι εσείς λένε
User avatar
assateague
 
Posts: 23627
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Reloading with Rex.

Postby jarbo03 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:14 pm

assateague wrote:Δεν μπορώ να καταλάβω ένα πράγμα βλασφημίας είναι εσείς λένε



Do the chickens have big talons?
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
User avatar
jarbo03
 
Posts: 11741
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:02 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: Reloading with Rex.

Postby R. Chapman » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:38 pm

assateague wrote:Δεν μπορώ να καταλάβω ένα πράγμα βλασφημίας είναι εσείς λένε

Your lost.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman
 
Posts: 6137
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:48 pm
Location: Helena, MT

Re: Reloading with Rex.

Postby RonE » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:17 pm

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
User avatar
RonE
 
Posts: 3379
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:33 pm
Location: Rockport, Texas

Re: Reloading with Rex.

Postby one2many » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:56 pm

RonE wrote:http://www.angelfire.com/ma3/max357/houston.html

more and more guys are building 100 yard tunnels for tunning.
about 5 years ago i put one in for a buddy. we got a hold of a bunch of concrete storm drain. took us a weekend to dig the trench and place the culvert together then cover it all up with dirt.
if i ever get lucky enough to find a huge score of storm drain again i will have a tunnel right off my machine shop backdoor
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
User avatar
one2many
 
Posts: 5012
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:55 pm
Location: 37 miles from the middle of nowhere

Re: Reloading with Rex.

Postby RonE » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:54 pm

one2many wrote:
RonE wrote:http://www.angelfire.com/ma3/max357/houston.html

more and more guys are building 100 yard tunnels for tunning.
about 5 years ago i put one in for a buddy. we got a hold of a bunch of concrete storm drain. took us a weekend to dig the trench and place the culvert together then cover it all up with dirt.
if i ever get lucky enough to find a huge score of storm drain again i will have a tunnel right off my machine shop backdoor


I used to shoot in the RCBS 100 yd tunnel. Before and after Fred sold to Blount Industries and the tunnel was retained by and in, Huntington's Sportsman's Store.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
User avatar
RonE
 
Posts: 3379
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:33 pm
Location: Rockport, Texas

Re: Reloading with Rex.

Postby 3200 Man » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:05 pm

Then you must know Ken Wickem ( I think his name was ) ? I ordered a few special dies from him ! Nice Guy ,Helpful
3200 Man
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:52 am

Re: Reloading with Rex.

Postby RonE » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:19 pm

3200 Man wrote:Then you must know Ken Wickem ( I think his name was ) ? I ordered a few special dies from him ! Nice Guy ,Helpful


Don't think I know him but I am still friends with Fred Huntington Jr. who I've know since 1972 and who owns and runs Huntington Die Specialties.

I left Oroville in 1988 but go back once a year or so, my brother lives there and one of my best friends owns Hightest Kennels.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
User avatar
RonE
 
Posts: 3379
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:33 pm
Location: Rockport, Texas

Re: Reloading with Rex.

Postby one2many » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:11 pm

Ron, some of the best shooter i have shot around are out of Texas.Jackie Schmidt is a first rate shooter and great guy from H town. watched and learned a lot, from alot of them guys down that way.
its always a pleasure and a nervous wreck to shoot a table or two over from some of these guys.
i would also say that the vast majority of theses guys will share every bit of information with anyone that wants to learn. its uncommon in most sports
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
User avatar
one2many
 
Posts: 5012
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:55 pm
Location: 37 miles from the middle of nowhere

Re: Reloading with Rex.

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:22 pm

one2many wrote:Ron, some of the best shooter i have shot around are out of Texas.Jackie Schmidt is a first rate shooter and great guy from H town. watched and learned a lot, from alot of them guys down that way.
its always a pleasure and a nervous wreck to shoot a table or two over from some of these guys.
i would also say that the vast majority of theses guys will share every bit of information with anyone that wants to learn. its uncommon in most sports

I bet the reason is because you can KNOW every bit of it, but if you dont have the ABILITY - you still aint shit.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
User avatar
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter
 
Posts: 17344
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:19 pm
Location: OREGON

Re: Reloading with Rex.

Postby one2many » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:47 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
one2many wrote:Ron, some of the best shooter i have shot around are out of Texas.Jackie Schmidt is a first rate shooter and great guy from H town. watched and learned a lot, from alot of them guys down that way.
its always a pleasure and a nervous wreck to shoot a table or two over from some of these guys.
i would also say that the vast majority of theses guys will share every bit of information with anyone that wants to learn. its uncommon in most sports

I bet the reason is because you can KNOW every bit of it, but if you dont have the ABILITY - you still aint shit.

yep.its not a coincidence the best guys are older. there will always be some newer guy that takes home some hardware from time to time, but week to week month to moth the old boys are at the top of the score sheets in every kind of condition all around the country.us younger guys will get there someday(i hope).
i never had nerve trouble doing anything until one shoot down is Texas years ago all the big dogs showed up. just got into my head didnt want to get embarrassed. one of the guys could tell. he asked if i would like to shoot with him, over his flags. it helped calm my nerves and he taught me better flag placement. at the end of the weekend i ended up middle of the pack and i was very very happy for that!
if rex would check his ego at the parking lot he may make it some day :D
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
User avatar
one2many
 
Posts: 5012
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:55 pm
Location: 37 miles from the middle of nowhere

Re: Reloading with Rex.

Postby R. Chapman » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:49 pm

one2many wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
one2many wrote:Ron, some of the best shooter i have shot around are out of Texas.Jackie Schmidt is a first rate shooter and great guy from H town. watched and learned a lot, from alot of them guys down that way.
its always a pleasure and a nervous wreck to shoot a table or two over from some of these guys.
i would also say that the vast majority of theses guys will share every bit of information with anyone that wants to learn. its uncommon in most sports

I bet the reason is because you can KNOW every bit of it, but if you dont have the ABILITY - you still aint shit.

yep.its not a coincidence the best guys are older. there will always be some newer guy that takes home some hardware from time to time, but week to week month to moth the old boys are at the top of the score sheets in every kind of condition all around the country.us younger guys will get there someday(i hope).
i never had nerve trouble doing anything until one shoot down is Texas years ago all the big dogs showed up. just got into my head didnt want to get embarrassed. one of the guys could tell. he asked if i would like to shoot with him, over his flags. it helped calm my nerves and he taught me better flag placement. at the end of the weekend i ended up middle of the pack and i was very very happy for that!
if rex would check his ego at the parking lot he may make it some day :D

Though I seem to have a large ego on here, I'm a rather quiet and very detailed oriented person in reality. I love watching rifle competition shooters of any kind shoot whether it be F-Class, Bench Rest, Palma/High Power, or Tactical; I enjoy watching what they do. I can never get enough of it. I'm always getting better reloading equipment, trying to get better shooting form and technique, and a handful of others. I've learned a little bit just watching these guys shoot. Still have more to learn. :thumbsup:
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman
 
Posts: 6137
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:48 pm
Location: Helena, MT

Re: Reloading with Rex.

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:54 pm

R. Chapman wrote:
one2many wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
one2many wrote:Ron, some of the best shooter i have shot around are out of Texas.Jackie Schmidt is a first rate shooter and great guy from H town. watched and learned a lot, from alot of them guys down that way.
its always a pleasure and a nervous wreck to shoot a table or two over from some of these guys.
i would also say that the vast majority of theses guys will share every bit of information with anyone that wants to learn. its uncommon in most sports

I bet the reason is because you can KNOW every bit of it, but if you dont have the ABILITY - you still aint shit.

yep.its not a coincidence the best guys are older. there will always be some newer guy that takes home some hardware from time to time, but week to week month to moth the old boys are at the top of the score sheets in every kind of condition all around the country.us younger guys will get there someday(i hope).
i never had nerve trouble doing anything until one shoot down is Texas years ago all the big dogs showed up. just got into my head didnt want to get embarrassed. one of the guys could tell. he asked if i would like to shoot with him, over his flags. it helped calm my nerves and he taught me better flag placement. at the end of the weekend i ended up middle of the pack and i was very very happy for that!
if rex would check his ego at the parking lot he may make it some day :D

Though I seem to have a large ego on here, I'm a rather quiet and very detailed oriented person in reality. I love watching rifle competition shooters of any kind shoot whether it be F-Class, Bench Rest, Palma/High Power, or Tactical; I enjoy watching what they do. I can never get enough of it. I'm always getting better reloading equipment, trying to get better shooting form and technique, and a handful of others. I've learned a little bit just watching these guys shoot. Still have more to learn. :thumbsup:

Why not be yourself always. You'd catch a lot less shit on here. :qh:
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
User avatar
rebelp74
 
Posts: 12506
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:49 am
Location: nw louisiana

Re: Reloading with Rex.

Postby R. Chapman » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:06 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:
one2many wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
one2many wrote:Ron, some of the best shooter i have shot around are out of Texas.Jackie Schmidt is a first rate shooter and great guy from H town. watched and learned a lot, from alot of them guys down that way.
its always a pleasure and a nervous wreck to shoot a table or two over from some of these guys.
i would also say that the vast majority of theses guys will share every bit of information with anyone that wants to learn. its uncommon in most sports

I bet the reason is because you can KNOW every bit of it, but if you dont have the ABILITY - you still aint shit.

yep.its not a coincidence the best guys are older. there will always be some newer guy that takes home some hardware from time to time, but week to week month to moth the old boys are at the top of the score sheets in every kind of condition all around the country.us younger guys will get there someday(i hope).
i never had nerve trouble doing anything until one shoot down is Texas years ago all the big dogs showed up. just got into my head didnt want to get embarrassed. one of the guys could tell. he asked if i would like to shoot with him, over his flags. it helped calm my nerves and he taught me better flag placement. at the end of the weekend i ended up middle of the pack and i was very very happy for that!
if rex would check his ego at the parking lot he may make it some day :D

Though I seem to have a large ego on here, I'm a rather quiet and very detailed oriented person in reality. I love watching rifle competition shooters of any kind shoot whether it be F-Class, Bench Rest, Palma/High Power, or Tactical; I enjoy watching what they do. I can never get enough of it. I'm always getting better reloading equipment, trying to get better shooting form and technique, and a handful of others. I've learned a little bit just watching these guys shoot. Still have more to learn. :thumbsup:

Why not be yourself always. You'd catch a lot less shit on here. :qh:

Because that's no fun. :qh: :tk: :fishing:
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman
 
Posts: 6137
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:48 pm
Location: Helena, MT

Re: Reloading with Rex.

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:07 pm

Montana must be excruciatingly boring
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
User avatar
rebelp74
 
Posts: 12506
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:49 am
Location: nw louisiana

Re: Reloading with Rex.

Postby R. Chapman » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:10 pm

rebelp74 wrote:Montana must be excruciatingly boring

Only when you have no gas and ammo.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman
 
Posts: 6137
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:48 pm
Location: Helena, MT

Re: Reloading with Rex.

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:44 pm

one2many wrote: .....yep.its not a coincidence the best guys are older......
Once in a while I shoot a military bolt action bench match and the same three old timers always clean house. I tell them that its because their weak old heart beats don't don't induce tremors into their rifles. :lol:
User avatar
clampdaddy
 
Posts: 539
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:25 am
Location: CenCal Mufuckaaa!

Re: Reloading with Rex.

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:49 am

After reading this thread, I am wondering how well my dad would shoot his rifle if he had a real bench and sandbags, and better reloading equipment. His current bench he made out of plywood, and it is slightly wobbly, and he has home made sandbags.
assateague wrote:Put that in your huff-n-puffer and smoke it, shootin' boy.
User avatar
ducks~n~bucks
 
Posts: 2380
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:28 am

Re: Reloading with Rex.

Postby R. Chapman » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:17 am

ducks~n~bucks wrote:After reading this thread, I am wondering how well my dad would shoot his rifle if he had a real bench and sandbags, and better reloading equipment. His current bench he made out of plywood, and it is slightly wobbly, and he has home made sandbags.

It really makes a difference. I've got my Owl Ear rear bag coming here soon. Make things a lot easier.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman
 
Posts: 6137
Joined: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:48 pm
Location: Helena, MT

Re: Reloading with Rex.

Postby huntall6 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:13 pm

I rest my rifle on whatever is the right hieght and I happen to have in the truck
Redbeard wrote:Buy not when. I hit that damne pole


Feelin' Fowl wrote:Big dick cakes are delicious!
User avatar
huntall6
 
Posts: 1861
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:38 am

Previous

Return to Reloading & Shotshell Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests