TSS Update

TSS Update

Postby assateague » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:08 pm

Ok, the China connection isn't so great just yet. My boss is friends with a guy who has a few manufacturing plants in Shenzen, so these would be the best "deals" I could get. The problem is, the smallest they make is 2.5mm, which is about 7 1/2 shot, according to a Googled chart. It's 17.9g/cm3, and is $44 a pound delivered to my door. The smallest he'll send is 10 kilos, though, so about 22 pounds. Tried to get a few pounds as a "sample", but he just chuckled. (Chinese capitalists are the Jews of the Orient, for the record) He's asking around, to see if any of the other plants where he knows guys have smaller shot available, but I won't be able to get any kind of deal on that, probably. We'll see.
User avatar
assateague
 
Posts: 23627
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: TSS Update

Postby sws002 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:24 pm

Okay, fill me in a bit here, I've only been loosely following this situation. I take it 7.5's have been deemed too big (even though they kill stuff deader than a hammer)? What would they translate to as far as ballistic equivalent goes? I might be interested in a pound, just have no idea what a good price is on this stuff.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
User avatar
sws002
 
Posts: 2577
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:47 pm

Re: TSS Update

Postby jarbo03 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:38 pm

From what I have been seeing that is a good price, I paid the same for 15gm/cc stuff 2 years ago. I believe that is approx 180-200 pellets per oz, depending on actual size. I would not hesitate to use a 5/8oz load on geese.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
User avatar
jarbo03
 
Posts: 11741
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:02 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: TSS Update

Postby 3geese4me » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:55 pm

I would be interested in some, however, I do not have the capability to reload. So if I could find someone to reload it for me count me in.
http://www.facebook.com/BeakSquad

Gander Commander Pro-Staff for Waterfowlforum.net
US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
User avatar
3geese4me
 
Posts: 2691
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:25 pm
Location: Alaska

Re: TSS Update

Postby assateague » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:19 pm

sws002 wrote:Okay, fill me in a bit here, I've only been loosely following this situation. I take it 7.5's have been deemed too big (even though they kill stuff deader than a hammer)? What would they translate to as far as ballistic equivalent goes? I might be interested in a pound, just have no idea what a good price is on this stuff.



I honestly don't know. All the input I've heard has been that 9s are ideal for ducks, so that's what I've been asking about. Still got some inquiries out to see what's available and at what price. I don't know the first thing about it, and am not totally sure I'd pay almost $2 a shell, but something about the knockdown power has me "intrigued".
User avatar
assateague
 
Posts: 23627
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: TSS Update

Postby jarbo03 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:03 pm

Would be no problem getting rid of it, if a bigger order came in, could even make some money. Turkey hunters eat that shit up, that is where it shines to me.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
User avatar
jarbo03
 
Posts: 11741
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:02 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: TSS Update

Postby sws002 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:08 pm

jarbo03 wrote:Would be no problem getting rid of it, if a bigger order came in, could even make some money. Turkey hunters eat that shit up, that is where it shines to me.


Ya, that's mostly what I would be interested in it for. Magnum Blend is about $4-5/shell, so price really isn't the issue there. Like I said, one of these years I want to get my swan tag, plus I usually get a crane tag in Nodak and those fuckers are pretty good about staying JUST out of range. That, and you could get damn near a full box of shells out of a pound if you run 3/4 oz loads...
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
User avatar
sws002
 
Posts: 2577
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:47 pm

Re: TSS Update

Postby RickC » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:44 pm

I first heard of this stuff in a turkey hunting forum and they are using 9 and 8 for turkeys and dropping them at 50 - 60 yards. Stuff is just hard to get
RickC
 
Posts: 743
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:46 pm

Re: TSS Update

Postby jarbo03 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:53 pm

RickC wrote:I first heard of this stuff in a turkey hunting forum and they are using 9 and 8 for turkeys and dropping them at 50 - 60 yards. Stuff is just hard to get



old gobbler?
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
User avatar
jarbo03
 
Posts: 11741
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:02 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: TSS Update

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:58 pm

sws002 wrote:Okay, fill me in a bit here, I've only been loosely following this situation. I take it 7.5's have been deemed too big (even though they kill stuff deader than a hammer)? What would they translate to as far as ballistic equivalent goes? I might be interested in a pound, just have no idea what a good price is on this stuff.


7.5 TSS would equate to probably #1 or BB Steel from a per pellet weight standpoint, and maybe like a #4 Hevishot...it has no ballistic equal.

To really shine as a wing shooting load, you need to drop down to 8/9 just for pattern density.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
User avatar
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter
 
Posts: 7164
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:59 am
Location: The Zoo

Re: TSS Update

Postby RickC » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:47 pm

jarbo03 wrote:
RickC wrote:I first heard of this stuff in a turkey hunting forum and they are using 9 and 8 for turkeys and dropping them at 50 - 60 yards. Stuff is just hard to get



old gobbler?

There, and Grand Slam.
RickC
 
Posts: 743
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:46 pm

Re: TSS Update

Postby firstflight » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:32 am

RickC wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:
RickC wrote:I first heard of this stuff in a turkey hunting forum and they are using 9 and 8 for turkeys and dropping them at 50 - 60 yards. Stuff is just hard to get



old gobbler?

There, and Grand Slam.

I shot a turkey at 65 yards this year with 3.5 - 6 shot . with the new long beard load , only because I wanted to really see if it would do it .he drop and twitched 2 times .
User avatar
firstflight
 
Posts: 813
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:36 pm
Location: N.E OHIO

Re: TSS Update

Postby assateague » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:26 pm

For the record, any hope of a free sample was quickly quashed by the Jews of the orient. Can be had, but really no cheaper than what Dan was talking about, about $46 a pound for #7
User avatar
assateague
 
Posts: 23627
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: TSS Update

Postby jehler » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:20 am

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407147248.633364.jpg



Top line is estimated sure thing lethality on a duck if you put the pellets in it, good to 100 yards, second line is large geese, almost 70 yards. 267 pellets in the load. The load I ran was 1 1/4 ounce at 1300 fps

For comparison, to get the same range lethality (pellet penetration wise) with steel at the same speed you would have to go with F, basically a load of steel buckshot .22 caliber.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407147631.635131.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
User avatar
jehler
 
Posts: 11453
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:18 pm

Re: TSS Update

Postby jehler » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:21 am

Fucking tapatalk, reverse the pics for that post to make sense^
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
User avatar
jehler
 
Posts: 11453
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:18 pm

Re: TSS Update

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:46 am

That's crazy. Wonder what the lead at 100 yards would be on a crossing bird.
User avatar
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 10142
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:05 pm
Location: Saginaw Bay, Michigan

Re: TSS Update

Postby jehler » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:13 am

.426 seconds to target, you can do the math pretty easy from there
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
User avatar
jehler
 
Posts: 11453
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:18 pm

Re: TSS Update

Postby jehler » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:14 am

At a 100 yards with the above 7.5 load^
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
User avatar
jehler
 
Posts: 11453
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:18 pm

Re: TSS Update

Postby jarbo03 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:01 am

I'd run a 3/4oz load @ 1200. Give you 160 pellets and could do 21 per lb. That's only $2.20 a round for just the shot Jim, that is a bargain! :popcorn:
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
User avatar
jarbo03
 
Posts: 11741
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:02 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: TSS Update

Postby 3geese4me » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:03 am

jarbo03 wrote:I'd run a 3/4oz load @ 1200. Give you 160 pellets and could do 21 per lb. That's only $2.20 a round for just the shot Jim, that is a bargain! :popcorn:


I was just going to ask what it cost per round and how many rounds could you get out of a pound of shot. I think shooting TSS with my cow board would be awesome. Then clean up the cripples with regular steel shot.
http://www.facebook.com/BeakSquad

Gander Commander Pro-Staff for Waterfowlforum.net
US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
User avatar
3geese4me
 
Posts: 2691
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:25 pm
Location: Alaska

Re: TSS Update

Postby jehler » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:04 am

jarbo03 wrote:I'd run a 3/4oz load @ 1200. Give you 160 pellets and could do 21 per lb. That's only $2.20 a round for just the shot Jim, that is a bargain! :popcorn:
yep, with TSS 7.5's and a ported patternmaster choke pintail would simply fall from the sky dead from fear, basically free hunting once you write off the initial purchase
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
User avatar
jehler
 
Posts: 11453
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:18 pm

Re: TSS Update

Postby jarbo03 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:07 am

jehler wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:I'd run a 3/4oz load @ 1200. Give you 160 pellets and could do 21 per lb. That's only $2.20 a round for just the shot Jim, that is a bargain! :popcorn:
yep, with TSS 7.5's and a ported patternmaster choke pintail would simply fall from the sky dead from fear, basically free hunting once you write off the initial purchase


Hear that Jim? Killin birds with no shots fired, all you have is the one time expense. Basically pays for itself.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
User avatar
jarbo03
 
Posts: 11741
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:02 pm
Location: Here and there

Re: TSS Update

Postby Glimmerjim » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:13 am

That's interesting, at. This is the first I've heard of it. Do they have loading specs for it, or is trial and finger loss? :lol:
Glimmerjim
 
Posts: 1039
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:54 am

Re: TSS Update

Postby jehler » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:42 am

There is verified
Load data
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
User avatar
jehler
 
Posts: 11453
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:18 pm

Re: TSS Update

Postby assateague » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:30 pm

It might be just what I need for pintail, since I can never keep from pulling the trigger any closer than 85 yards or so.


Wouldn't they be shocked to actually die.
User avatar
assateague
 
Posts: 23627
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: TSS Update

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:52 pm

assateague wrote:It might be just what I need for pintail, since I can never keep from pulling the trigger any closer than 85 yards or so.


Wouldn't they be shocked to actually die.

It's getting the 30ft lead down that would be the tough part.
User avatar
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 10142
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:05 pm
Location: Saginaw Bay, Michigan

Re: TSS Update

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:44 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
assateague wrote:It might be just what I need for pintail, since I can never keep from pulling the trigger any closer than 85 yards or so.


Wouldn't they be shocked to actually die.

It's getting the 30ft lead down that would be the tough part.


6 foot at 75 yards works, 30 would be to much.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.


WFF Prostaff
User avatar
The Duck Hammer
 
Posts: 14026
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:42 pm
Location: The Chicken House

Re: TSS Update

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:40 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
assateague wrote:It might be just what I need for pintail, since I can never keep from pulling the trigger any closer than 85 yards or so.


Wouldn't they be shocked to actually die.

It's getting the 30ft lead down that would be the tough part.


6 foot at 75 yards works, 30 would be to much.

It was 30 ft at 100yards according to the stuff Jehler posted.
User avatar
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 10142
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:05 pm
Location: Saginaw Bay, Michigan

Re: TSS Update

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:27 am

NuffDaddy wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
assateague wrote:It might be just what I need for pintail, since I can never keep from pulling the trigger any closer than 85 yards or so.


Wouldn't they be shocked to actually die.

It's getting the 30ft lead down that would be the tough part.


6 foot at 75 yards works, 30 would be to much.

It was 30 ft at 100yards according to the stuff Jehler posted.

I come up with about 24 ft at a 40 mile/hr bird.
Glimmerjim
 
Posts: 1039
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:54 am

Re: TSS Update

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:42 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
assateague wrote:It might be just what I need for pintail, since I can never keep from pulling the trigger any closer than 85 yards or so.


Wouldn't they be shocked to actually die.

It's getting the 30ft lead down that would be the tough part.


6 foot at 75 yards works, 30 would be to much.

It was 30 ft at 100yards according to the stuff Jehler posted.

I come up with about 24 ft at a 40 mile/hr bird.

I might have done 45 or 50...can't remember. Still a crazy lead though.
User avatar
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 10142
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:05 pm
Location: Saginaw Bay, Michigan

Next

Return to Reloading & Shotshell Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests