Reloading some hevishot - fed gold medal

Reloading some hevishot - fed gold medal

Postby slowshooter » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:25 pm

Any of you guys been having any problems with the Fed Golds? I have one last year that shot out the plastic sleeve... I like having them in that hull because I can tell them apart from my other reloads.... I don't like them falling apart though.
Slow
slowshooter

Location: San Jose. In California, which is the 7th largest economy on the planet. Bitches. :-D

Re: Reloading some hevishot - fed gold medal

Postby jarbo03 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:30 pm

I have heard of a few people having problems, I have loaded many over the last 3 years without a single problem. I believe they had a run of poor hulls.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby dog walker » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:26 am

I had one separate about 2 weeks ago during teal season. The brass pulled off the case and left the case in the barrel.
dog walker

Postby Ned S » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:56 am

I have a 30 gal Garbage barrel full of 5 yr old GM once fired hulls and have had no problems. Must be the new ones. They are always trying to save money. Also have garbage barrels full of AA and Rio once fired hulls. Ned S
Ned S

Postby jehler » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:02 pm

The only problem I have had was with cracking at the folds of the crimp. I don't reload to many of them though
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby dnj21 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:23 pm

I bought a couple hundred last fall for loading ITX 13 and didn't have any problems, but I bought them new and haven't tried to reload any yet......
dnj21

Postby jehler » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:53 pm

dnj21 wrote:I bought a couple hundred last fall for loading ITX 13 and didn't have any problems, but I bought them new and haven't tried to reload any yet......

how do you like that itx-13? its hard like heavy shot right, not as soft as the regular itx?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby dnj21 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:36 pm

jehler wrote:
dnj21 wrote:I bought a couple hundred last fall for loading ITX 13 and didn't have any problems, but I bought them new and haven't tried to reload any yet......

how do you like that itx-13? its hard like heavy shot right, not as soft as the regular itx?

I wish I had shot enough ducks last year to say definitively. Had a barn burner on opening day and didn't hardly shoot any ducks the rest of the year. On the bright side, I didn't miss a lot of ducks with it!

It is very hard, lot of guys use mylar wraps in them like HSS but I haven't yet. Typical dense/hard shot, tight patterns even out of IC chokes. Loaded FGM hulls with 35 or 36 gr of STEEL and 1 1/4oz of 6's around 1395-1450fps for the most part (off the top of my head). Wanted to play with slitting the SAM1 wads down farther and more evenly this summer and see if it would open patterns a little, but with a one year old running around I didn't get to it (I now reload in one hour windows after everyone is in bed when I can stay awake!!)

Toasty & Bug Doc have a lot more experience with the heavy non-tox loads, but I haven't seen them migrate over here yet........

Dave
dnj21

Postby jehler » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:14 pm

dnj21 wrote:
jehler wrote:

I wish I had shot enough ducks last year to say definitively. Had a barn burner on opening day and didn't hardly shoot any ducks the rest of the year. On the bright side, I didn't miss a lot of ducks with it!

It is very hard, lot of guys use mylar wraps in them like HSS but I haven't yet. Typical dense/hard shot, tight patterns even out of IC chokes. Loaded FGM hulls with 35 or 36 gr of STEEL and 1 1/4oz of 6's around 1395-1450fps for the most part (off the top of my head). Wanted to play with slitting the SAM1 wads down farther and more evenly this summer and see if it would open patterns a little, but with a one year old running around I didn't get to it (I now reload in one hour windows after everyone is in bed when I can stay awake!!)

Toasty & Bug Doc have a lot more experience with the heavy non-tox loads, but I haven't seen them migrate over here yet........

Dave

gotchya, i still have 20-30 pounds of heavyshot 6's to get by on but will need something when that runs out. you tried the tsp wads from bpi?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby dnj21 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:53 pm

jehler wrote:
dnj21 wrote:
jehler wrote:

Dave

gotchya, i still have 20-30 pounds of heavyshot 6's to get by on but will need something when that runs out. you tried the tsp wads from bpi?

I have shot them in my TSS loads over Longshot in FGM hulls, but I do not have hardly any recipies for them. I think they are excellent, much more uniform in construction. I am afraid to experiment though, been waiting for them to publish some more loads. I'll start a new thread and see if anyone has tried them with hevishot.
dnj21

Return to Reloading & Shotshell Forum