Looking for training area

Forum for private sales. No commercial advertising. MUST HAVE 10 POST TO USE THIS FORUM.

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Looking for training area

Postby team216 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:58 pm

Hi all, I'm in search of an area to do gun work with my pup. My old area has been sold to the village I live in. I'm looking for somewhere in LaSalle County, IL. I am willing to pay for providing an area for me to work with her. I just don't see a point in joining a hunting club just to work with my dog. If anyone is interested contact me on here please and I'll provide you with my contact info
Thanks in advance
team216

Re: Looking for training area

Postby SpinnerMan » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:26 am

Check the DNR website, but I believe you can do that that the Desplaines Conservation Area. You have to get a dog training permit. I'm not sure of the exact rules. There are probably places closer.
SpinnerMan

Postby team216 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:46 pm

Yeah I looked into the parks and such on the website. It was just a little confusing to read. I'm waiting to hear back from them to kind of get an idea if firing off rounds. Even though they are blanks. The Marseilles wildlife area would be perfect for what I'm needing to do
team216

Postby team216 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:51 pm

team216 wrote:Yeah I looked into the parks and such on the website. It was just a little confusing to read. I'm waiting to hear back from them to kind of get an idea if firing off rounds. Even though they are blanks. The Marseilles wildlife area would be perfect for what I'm needing to do

Edit - thank you for your input. Every bit of information is helpful
team216

Postby Rick » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:11 am

Have you looked into area retriever clubs?
Rick

Postby team216 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:26 pm

Rick wrote:Have you looked into area retriever clubs?

The nearest one i found was down near Peoria, which isn't to far away about an hour so from me, I'm going to do some more searching and reading tonight since the Internet is working again for me
Rick wrote:Have you looked into area retriever clubs?
team216

Postby team216 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:06 pm

I ended up getting a friend of mines father to let me use the family farm. Went out today early to try to beat the heat. By 9:30 am it was already 80 degrees. But she is making great progress. It amazes me how focused of a dog she is. Me and my buddy were sweating our butts off just standing there and she gave her all right up to the end. I was proud of her doing so well in a completely new area.
team216

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:47 pm

Glad you found a place. For the past 30yrs I'd been spoiled by the run of a 9,000 acre piece with some of about everything one could want for training, including a big, alligator-free sand pit pond with enough channels, points and islands to have been a pro's technical water, but lost it when the owner died and his kids sold it this year. Even being well established in our rural community, I've found it a challenge to offer my current pup similar opportunities.

Watch that heat, it can kill 'em.
Rick

Postby team216 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:47 pm

That does sound amazing, I am limited to just an acre of grass on the back edge the property but at least it's something for now. I've got the river for water work we've just had so much dang rain that it's been impossible to get out on it. We kept it short today as we have for the past several days. Today was 20 minutes so probably only about 15 minutes that the dog was active. Now while she gets to lay around the nice cold house, I'm working next to a furnace that melts glass. But thanks for your guys help and suggestions, I alway appriciate them! I'm still going to keep searching for more spots to work with her and get as many together as I can
team216

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:41 pm

team216 wrote:I'm working next to a furnace that melts glass.

And I thought my job in the marsh was hot...
Rick

Return to Duck Hunting Classifieds