Emu For Coastie

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Emu For Coastie

Postby assateague » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:00 pm

I didn't realize you were banned, so don't know if you got to see this or not. Figured I'd put it here as well.

Went out to a small hunting camp, deserted this time of year, since it's the only sort of clear spot near where one of the emus had been sighted. Me and a buddy set up, and he started tapping on the bucket call, and this guy came in in 5 minutes, almost on the dot. My buddy couldn't see him, and kept tapping, almost making me not get a shot. I got him to stop with the call, Mr. Emu came out perfectly, and got dropped. The video sort of sucks, but it was a BLAST!

emu4 (960x1280).jpg

emu3 (960x1280).jpg

emu2 (960x1280).jpg

emu1 (960x1280).jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
assateague

Re: Emu For Coastie

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:09 pm

You killed that freakin Emu already!?! Thats awesome. How'd the new knife work?
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:15 pm

3legged_lab wrote:You killed that freakin Emu already!?! Thats awesome. How'd the new knife work?

I feel like a dumbass for completely forgetting about it until right now. :roll: It's in my tackle box. Oops.
assateague

Postby Olly » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:33 am

No friggin way, when I saw you were going in a run away emu hunt I was like that bird is half way across the state.

Good job man, you should get those feet mounted or something I believe it's the common part of large birds to be mounted. I've seen ostrich feet stuffed before.

Prolly the only person I know who's ever got to hunt an Emu.

Sent from your honey hole.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby duckkillerclyde » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:32 am

Neighbor had a bunch of them. He hauled them to the auction. Then he hauled about half of them home and set them free.

Now you know two people that have hunted emu.

The meat was tough as leather and mixed it 60/40 with pork. I was glad when I ran out of emu meat.
duckkillerclyde

Emu For Coastie

Postby centex » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:09 pm

centex

Postby Olly » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:17 pm

Didn't you say you were looking for a second Emu? Any luck?
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Emu For Coastie

Postby assateague » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:45 pm

Not yet. I only invested about 2 hours this weekend, and no dice. The pressure isn't nearly there, so I'm trying to enjoy the second one.
assateague

Emu For Coastie

Postby Westie25 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:25 am

Have you eaten any emu yet?
Westie25

Emu For Coastie

Postby assateague » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:47 am

Yep, it's all gone (my share at least). I thought it was delicious. It wasn't tough at all like Clyde had, but could be because this one was younger. Looks just like venison. Hardest part for me was cooking it enough, since I love my beef/venison rare, but not my chicken. And even though it looks like beef, it is a bird after all.
assateague

Emu For Coastie

Postby Westie25 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:53 am

I've heard from several sources it was tasty.
Westie25

Postby assateague » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:37 am

In my opinion, it tasted exactly like venison, even the texture was the same. The steaks were definitely better than the drumstick, though. I'm not sure they tasted different, but it messes with your head eating what appears to be a drumstick covered with steak. Just not what the mind is used to- meat is supposed to be "stringy" coming off of a drumstick, not like eating bites of pot roast off of the bone. A little odd to the senses, which may have influenced my opinion.
assateague

Postby JGUN » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:11 am

assateague wrote:Yep, it's all gone (my share at least). I thought it was delicious. It wasn't tough at all like Clyde had, but could be because this one was younger. Looks just like venison. Hardest part for me was cooking it enough, since I love my beef/venison rare, but not my chicken. And even though it looks like beef, it is a bird after all.

Do you cook your waterfowl til it's well done? If you do that's like eating crispy bacon or burnt marshmallows! I would have cooked it like a steak. That's how we did the sandhill crane last year.
JGUN

Emu For Coastie

Postby Westie25 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:17 am

Bacon is meant to be eaten crispy!!!
Westie25

Postby assateague » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:44 am

JGUN wrote:
assateague wrote:Yep, it's all gone (my share at least). I thought it was delicious. It wasn't tough at all like Clyde had, but could be because this one was younger. Looks just like venison. Hardest part for me was cooking it enough, since I love my beef/venison rare, but not my chicken. And even though it looks like beef, it is a bird after all.

Do you cook your waterfowl til it's well done? If you do that's like eating crispy bacon or burnt marshmallows! I would have cooked it like a steak. That's how we did the sandhill crane last year.

No, but I "trust" wild birds a little more. Don't know why. This was cooked like a med rare steak, as opposed to the cold and bloody inside like usual.
assateague

Return to The Blind