Throbbin Rods 2017 Waterfowl Season so far

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Throbbin Rods 2017 Waterfowl Season so far

Postby Throbbin Rods » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:40 am

So far this has been a fun season. although not in terms of heavy game straps. I have killed 3 geese and 4 ducks. I have been taking a couple of young guns to some of my back swamp places they didn't even know existed. I put them in the front of the canoe, and I paddle them through the twists and turns of the swamp, flushing birds at every second or third turn. Showing them how to paddle silently, hugging the inside bank for the next curve. So far they have missed more than they've hit but they are having a blast trying this type of hunt. One of the young guns is fresh out of college, been a deer hunter for years but is in his first year of water fowling. He is getting a lifetime of experience in a short amount of time. I found out Thursday that he is learning more than I suspected. He offered to help me get the blind set up on Cast N Blast, and we were installing new Fast Grass on one side of the blind. He worked hard and took suggestions and direction well. Afterwards I thanked him for the help, and he responded that since he would be hunting out of the boat the very least he could do was to help me get it ready!

The other young fellow I have been hunting with I've known since he was just a sprout. He used to hunt with his Dad and me a lot, then his Dad gave up waterfowl hunting for working more hours. Ben has been out a bunch of times with me the last couple years, and has always done his share and more. I offered to get him permission to use my friend's yard to launch into one of our hunting spots so he could hunt it when I was unavailable. His response? "That's your spot, I would never hunt that unless I was with you!"
Methinks the next generation just might be OK!
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell
Throbbin Rods
WFF Forum Moderator

Return to The Blind