Does anyone collect

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Does anyone collect

Postby don novicki » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:26 am

Vintage hunting/fishing magazines? I have a small collection with a lot of great articles but what impresses me most is the cover art. Most of my magazines are from the 30,s thru the 50's and there were truely some amazing artists: Walter Haskell Hinton, Walter J Wilwerding, and Bob Kuhn to name a few. It's a shame that most magazines now use photos for their covers because the original artwork was fantastic. I am only surprised that some of these guys never painted a federal stamp. Well maybe they did and just didn't win.
don novicki

Re: Does anyone collect

Postby aunt betty » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:12 am

I've got a drawer full of Harding's Fur-Fish-Game. They're from the 80's.
Subscribed to that one and eagerly waited each month for the new issue then would read is twice a night until the next one showed up. Was big time into trapping. Had water lines and dirt-set lines too. Got to where I was mostly targeting mink, muskrat, raccoons, and beavers. Had a couple bad experiences with dirt sets. Turned out there were some wolf-coyotes around here. Bout the size of german shepherds. Shot quite a few. Taught them to fear me and my dog anyway.

I just can't throw them magazines away because the cover art on each issue is really good. There are some excellent stories in them that have been run and re-run for generations and those are totally worth saving.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Return to The Blind