New knee for new season

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

New knee for new season

Postby Throbbin Rods » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:47 am

After being told I was too young for a knee replacement for 35 years I had the surgery done 2 weeks ago today at age 65. From day 3 I had less pain than the previous 40 years. I am walking around in the house unaided. I have discarded the walker and am using hiking poles when outside. I have full extension and damned good flexion in the knee. I may not be perfectly healed by waterfowl season and I am missing a great fishing season but I just scored a new farm to hunt for this year and I think it's going to be a pretty good deal. I can't wait6 for next spring to get the other knee done and move forward to a less painful life. Karen and I have hikes to take, remote ponds to fish and plenty of items on our list of fun things to do. I am heading to Maine the last week in July to sit behind the camp, watch the tidal marsh come in and go out, read and get plenty of fresh air. I hope you are all have a great summer and I wish you all a successful, safe and fulfilling hunting season.
Bill
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell
Throbbin Rods
WFF Forum Moderator

Re: New knee for new season

Postby Rick » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:44 am

Believe that's the most cheerful post I may have ever seen from you. Congrats on the new knee.
Rick

Postby Darren » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:02 pm

Congrats! Hope all works out great for you, enjoy getting around, something we all take for granted.
Darren

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:08 pm

Congrats.

Throbbin Rods wrote:After being told I was too young for a knee replacement for 35 years I had the surgery done 2 weeks ago today at age 65.

You are not by far the first I've heard this. Why the hell won't they fix your knees when you are younger and can enjoy it even more?

Better late than never. Enjoy your new knees. :beer:
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:36 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:You are not by far the first I've heard this. Why the hell won't they fix your knees when you are younger and can enjoy it even more?

I am not an orthopod and haven't even stayed at a Holiday Inn, but I work at a camp a prosthetic company filled with them for "continuing education" (and hunts) annually and watched the parts and process evolve over the years. And the rub was with regard to when to operate was how long the surgeries held up.

When I first sat in, the problem was drilling the holes for the pegs correctly for good adhesion, then advancements in that made the adhesive, itself, the limiting factor until the creation of porous pegs that bone can grow into made the bushing between the prosthesis parts the limiting factor. At least as I understood it from the cheap seats.

Anyway, the aim was to keep it a one time thing. Might still be, though I'd think it easier to replace a bushing than redo a loose peg...

And if you'd seen as many orthopods, er..."orthopedic surgeons", struggle with putting the heads on G&H goose shells (ie: push a split ball into a socket hole) as I have, you'd be leery of letting them cut on you once...
Rick

Postby Duck Engr » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:08 pm

Awesome news TR! Sounds like it’s shaping up to be a good Fall for you.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:35 pm

Rick wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:You are not by far the first I've heard this. Why the hell won't they fix your knees when you are younger and can enjoy it even more?

I am not an orthopod and haven't even stayed at a Holiday Inn, but I work at a camp a prosthetic company filled with them for "continuing education" (and hunts) annually and watched the parts and process evolve over the years. And the rub was with regard to when to operate was how long the surgeries held up.

When I first sat in, the problem was drilling the holes for the pegs correctly for good adhesion, then advancements in that made the adhesive, itself, the limiting factor until the creation of porous pegs that bone can grow into made the bushing between the prosthesis parts the limiting factor. At least as I understood it from the cheap seats.

Anyway, the aim was to keep it a one time thing. Might still be, though I'd think it easier to replace a bushing than redo a loose peg...

And if you'd seen as many orthopods, er..."orthopedic surgeons", struggle with putting the heads on G&H goose shells (ie: push a split ball into a socket hole) as I have, you'd be leery of letting them cut on you once...

I am sure that is it but I have seen some people really suffering.
SpinnerMan

Postby don novicki » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:48 am

Glad it's working out for you Rod's. I had mine done one in August of 19 and the other Oct of 19. It's taken almost a year for recovery but for the first time in a long time my knees are pain free. Give it time, don't push too hard, go to therapy and you should do well. I missed all last hunting season ( except for the two times I got out) but this year will be another story. I'm 66 by the way. The reason they don't do them when you are younger is that they just won't last that long and to do them over is a real PITA.
don novicki

Postby Deltaman » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:46 pm

Congrats on the knee fix, and you don't realize how much a long-term issue like that hurts....... until it doesn't........then every day is a holiday!!!!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Throbbin Rods » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:31 am

Thanks all for the encouragement. Today I am 3 weeks and 3 days post surgery, walking everywhere unaided and back to driving. If I can gain 10 more degrees in flexion I will be graduated from PT. I am thrilled and can't wait until I get the other knee done next spring.
Good luck to all for the upcoming season.
Bill
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell
Throbbin Rods
WFF Forum Moderator

Return to The Blind