Embarrassed to ask

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Embarrassed to ask

Postby don novicki » Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:12 pm

But I'd like to take up a new hobby and I think I'd like to try fishing, but I'm 70 y/o and never been fishing in my life. I never had anyone to show me the ropes when I was growing up, and now it's embarrassing to ask for any help to get started. If any of you guys could maybe point me in the right direction to get going I sure would appreciate it. I'm just looking to do some catch and release but I could also try for perch here in Lake Erie, provided you can do it from shore. I've been looking at FB marketplace for some used equipment but what would I need to get going? I appreciate any help you could offer. Pretty pathetic that I've never been out before........ :fishing:
don novicki

Re: Embarrassed to ask

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:25 pm

Fishing is whatever you want to make of it. I do a lot with my bow and arrow. Depends on your preference.

But whenever I introduce new kids to fishing, I'm all about numbers. Lots of little fish. Success early and often.

Really any Walmart special fishing reel combo will do the trick, but not a big heavy one. It'll say something like medium action. You're looking for one with 10-12 lb test fishing line (that's the strength of the line) for bass. It'll work OK for smaller stuff. If you just want sunfish and perch, then I'd go smaller and get a light action with 6 lb test fishing line. Cheap rod and reel is fine. Better fishing line actual helps, but to get started, just what comes on it is fine.

I would just start there.

Farm ponds are a great place to start. Small hook and a piece of a night crawler and you won't be able to keep the bluegills off the hook. That's how lots of kids learn. I still have fun doing that from time to time. Although, I say I'm catching bait :mrgreen:

Bass are usually pretty easy to catch in a farm pond. There are countless options here, but I'd just start with a spinnerbait. I'd get a couple smaller ones. They will catch big bluegills and small bass.

The small ones will look like that. Just throw them out and reel them back slow and steady works. Just fast enough to keep the blade spinning is how I'd start. Bass like to hide around structure, so next to the lily pads, etc.

I'd also get some bigger spinnerbaits. They' look something like this. Same thing, but you'll catch bigger bass. Just slow and steady. Vary the speed to fish them either near the top or bottom.

And my personal favorite. Buzzbaits.

They look like this. These are intended to stay on top. You want to reel them just fast enough so the blade is agitating the surface. Bass will come blasting out of the water after them. These work best first thing in the morning or last thing in the evening or even in the dark. Really exciting, but try not to set the hook until you feel the fish or you'll pull it out of their mouth and it will come flying back at you. Particularly exciting when you hear a fish strike in the dark and it comes flying back at you in the dark :shock:

These types of baits are nice because they are easy to fish. They rarely get snagged. They catch all kinds of fish. I've caught bass, pike, musky, pickerel.

If you want to fish for perch. Not something I do a lot, but from what I understand, small minnows are the way to go. Just a bobber and a minnow. That will work for a lot of things. Just vary the size of the minnow for what you are after. Great way to catch bass in a farm pond.

One other suggestion is if you are using live bait, use circle hooks. When you feel the fish pull, you just reel and the hook does its thing. It really reduces the amount of fish you hook deeply which can hurt them. If you do hook a fish deep, just cut the hook off and let them go. It's their best odds of making it.

SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:43 pm

That last photo demonstrates the most important thing in fishing: hold your catch out toward the camera, so it will appear much larger than life.
Rick

Postby bluebars » Mon Jun 03, 2024 3:56 pm

If you're going to fish Erie, remember, there's alot of variety in that water. Many fish are on the larger side and you don't want to be under gunned. Id start with a med. action rod and 15-20lb test braid or fluorocarbon line and make sure you tie good knots.
bluebars

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:31 pm

Rick wrote:That last photo demonstrates the most important thing in fishing: hold your catch out toward the camera, so it will appear much larger than life.

:thumbsup:
:lol:

Always.

When you are a real fisherman, it just comes natural. The arm goes out when the camera comes out.
SpinnerMan

Postby don novicki » Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:31 am

Alright, a good starting point. I'm going to look over FBMP as there is a lot of equipment there at reasonable prices. Thanks guys.
don novicki

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:04 am

Good luck.

After that you'll need to learn to tie your hook or lure to the line. Plenty of instructions on the Internet.

I'd also bring along a pair of pointy nose pliers. Easier to grab hooks when removing them from the fish especially if you get something with teeth or for reaching inside small mouths like bluegills.
SpinnerMan

Postby bluebars » Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:53 am

snap swivels will save alot of time when switching lures/rigs
bluebars

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:23 pm

If you don't stick your arm out in front, they just don't look as big.

Spinnerbait, slow and steady.

PXL_20240607_004425711.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
SpinnerMan

Return to The Blind