Pickles

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: Pickles

Postby hotrodtoad » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:18 pm

Those look good. Wife wants a garden, but I already know I would get no help, and I like to fish too much to do it all.
hotrodtoad

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:59 pm

I just watered and picked weeds in the garden that "we" are taking care of.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Pickles

Postby assateague » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:39 pm

My wife makes no pretense- the garden is mine, the barn is hers. And I like it like that.
assateague

Pickles

Postby assateague » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:40 pm

Based on my walk around the garden tonight, in about two weeks, I am going to have a serious tomato "problem".
assateague

Pickles

Postby Goldfish » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:35 pm

Define. Too many good tomatoes, or they are starting to look bad from sitting in an outdoor oven for the past 2 weeks
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby assateague » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:28 am

Goldfish wrote:Define. Too many good tomatoes, or they are starting to look bad from sitting in an outdoor oven for the past 2 weeks

Too many. I don't like to count my chickens before they hatch, but there's every bit of 500-600 tomatoes in an "almost red" stage right now.
assateague

Postby vincentpa » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:37 am

assateague wrote:
Goldfish wrote:Define. Too many good tomatoes, or they are starting to look bad from sitting in an outdoor oven for the past 2 weeks

Too many. I don't like to count my chickens before they hatch, but there's every bit of 500-600 tomatoes in an "almost red" stage right now.

Damn! How many plants? What varieties of tomatoes did you plant? How many 16 oz jars will they can?
vincentpa

Postby vincentpa » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:39 am

grizz18 wrote:Assa, or anyone really--

You ever pickle carrots? I had some a restaurant a couple months ago, and they were damn good.

My family pickled carrots, cauliflower, green tomatoes, onions, green beans all mixed together with spices. I have to get the recipe because it was damn good.
vincentpa

Postby assateague » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:49 am

vincentpa wrote:
grizz18 wrote:Assa, or anyone really--

You ever pickle carrots? I had some a restaurant a couple months ago, and they were damn good.

My family pickled carrots, cauliflower, green tomatoes, onions, green beans all mixed together with spices. I have to get the recipe because it was damn good.

Sounds like what we call a Crock. All those things are layered in a ceramic crock, alternating layers with herbs (usually mustard and dill), and covered with a brine. We generally throw anything and everything in, from garlic to sugar beets. Let it sit tightly covered (but not air tight) until it bubbles, and then you can start eating. Good stuff.

I have 86 surviving tomato plants, and they're all determinant heirlooms, 35 Romas the rest a mixture of Brandywine, Beefsteak, Virginia, and Ramapo. I think I'm having a decent year because of the neighbor's bees. He upped his hives from 3 to 12, and I've never seen the amount of honeybees around the garden and yard as I have this year. They really helped out the apple trees this year, too. I've had branches on the ground for about 3 weeks, and that doesn't usually happen until early August.
assateague

Previous

Return to The Blind