The Offical WFF BS Thread!

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: The Offical WFF BS Thread!

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:09 pm

Goldfish wrote:Holy shit. Duck hammer, did you beat someone?

Yea I guess I shouldn't have given him so much shit.
assateague wrote:Put that in your huff-n-puffer and smoke it, shootin' boy.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:12 am

Woody wrote:
Olly wrote:Duck season is over. Here's to the off season WFF!

Oh, to be in a hammock outside right now.

Absolutely.

Although I still get to spend time outside.

IMG_20150202_090543.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:57 am

Dad got a snow blower right after his last son moved out...
Rick

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:03 am

Rick wrote:Dad got a snow blower right after his last son moved out...

He was already feeding his snow blower prior to said son moving out :lol:
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:38 am

Rick wrote:Dad got a snow blower right after his last son moved out...

I had to go out of town for work right before a blizzard was going to hit a few years back. I felt terrible leaving my wife. Thankfully the neighbor came over with his snow blower because she would have never been able to dig out.

I decided I better get her a snow blower that she could actually use. It had to be small enough that she could handle it and I didn't want a gasoline that she'd have to worry about trying to get started, so I settled on a little electric. I was really worried about how well it would work, but I decided to give it a try.

That little thing is freaking awesome. You can see from the picture how far it is tossing the snow and this was not a particularly light snow. Not real heavy either, but even the snow the plow pushed into the driveway, it chews through that pretty efficiently.

It runs off a power cord, but for doing the driveway and the sidewalk in front of the house, it's not a problem.

Funny story about the blizzard that prompted me to get a snow blower. My wife calls me in the morning. There are 4 foot snow drifts about 2 feet from our back door. She asked what to do about the dog. It's a chessie. I tell her to let her out, she'll figure it out. So she does, the dog goes back and forth a couple times looking at this wall of snow and then I guess she decides, oh well I got to piss and plows through it.
SpinnerMan

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:50 am

No I got 3
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Tiler_J » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:06 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:

No I got 3

Please tell me you only hunted one day.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:47 pm

Tiler_J wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

No I got 3

Well I hunted 7 times to get 5. :lol:
assateague wrote:Put that in your huff-n-puffer and smoke it, shootin' boy.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:47 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Goldfish wrote:Holy ****. Duck hammer, did you beat someone?

No I got 3

Beats me if you don't count mergansers. :o

But I got you if you do Image

1 Mallard, 1 Gadwall, 2 hooded mergansers.

Tiler_J wrote:Please tell me you only hunted one day.

I wish I could tell you that was 1 day. I hunted ducks 8 days.

Normally I duck hunt a lot more, but there was not much point this year.
SpinnerMan

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:27 pm

Tiler_J wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

No I got 3

13-15 times. I got 4 geese too. All 7 of my birds were killed on 2 hunts. The rest we just watched the sun rise.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:30 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

No I got 3

I usually hunt every morning of season I can, 30 days or so, but this year I just said fuck it and went deer hunting. That didn't pan out well either. Some years you win some you don't. I get plenty of birds during dove season, sometimes more than I should, so it all pans out in the end I reckon.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Olly » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:01 pm

Like clockwork my bowels start to sing when I walk through the door every afternoon.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Olly » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:02 pm

Hey! TT updated and the header bar works now. Sweet.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Tiler_J » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:08 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

No I got 3

I usually hunt every morning of season I can, 30 days or so, but this year I just said fuck it and went deer hunting. That didn't pan out well either. Some years you win some you don't. I get plenty of birds during dove season, sometimes more than I should, so it all pans out in the end I reckon.

Wow! You guys ever make it to CA during duck season, hit me up. I'll see what I can do to help your numbers.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:32 pm

I'd invite him down to my place but then I wouldn't have anyone to make fun of. Sorry champ.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:59 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

No I got 3

I usually hunt every morning of season I can, 30 days or so, but this year I just said **** it and went deer hunting. That didn't pan out well either. Some years you win some you don't. I get plenty of birds during dove season, sometimes more than I should, so it all pans out in the end I reckon.

That's exactly what I did. I hunted deer a lot more than most years. I got a lot of pictures of some really nice buck on my trail cam, but never saw one of them. I did get a nice doe, which is a good year for me, but I really wanted a buck this year.

Early goose I got 5 geese over 3 days and it should have been more. Actually passed on a flock because I had 3 already that day and didn't want to have to go on safari through the brush and briars to try and recover them. I saw more BWT while goose hunting than I ever have, although I didn't get any shooting at them. We had a buttload, maybe even two depending on woody's definition, of wood ducks around before season, the local mallards looked like they had a bumper crop. Everything was looking to shape up for a pretty good season.

By the time the season opened, everything just vanished. It was unbelievable how bad it was. It's not unusual to see hundreds of wood ducks during the season. I don't think I saw 10. The last day I goose hunted that was the day the mallards finally headed south. We watched flock after flock after flock of mallards, but the field we were set up on for geese, the ducks just do not like. We got a few to work, but not many and no shooting. For awhile it was pretty cool. Then it got pretty fucking annoying.
SpinnerMan

Postby sws002 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:20 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

No I got 3

Damn. I love duck hunting, but I'd get sick of that shit real quick. Are you hunting out of a Wal-Mart parking lot or something? No offense, but I think I'd lose my mind if I hunted that hard for less birds than I can count on one hand.

Just in case you forgot what ducks look like:
20150203_165949.jpg

20150103_171151.jpg
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby QH's Paw » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:25 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

No I got 3

DH, where are you at? I thought you were in Arkansas. Is it an issue with access to good area or are you just in a spot out of all flyways. Maybe hunt less days and travel further on the days you hunt. You know, maybe if you'd sell some of those calls you're collecting, you could probably take a pretty nice once a season trip to a hunting meca area. Just throwing around ideas. It's just really difficult for me to imagine hunting 30 days and being skunked 28 of those days. I'm trying to understand it. This season was what I would call slow, number wise and number of hunts both. I only hunted 22 times and ended up with 92 birds in my logs. I was skunked 1 time and that was on Tim and I's hunt in AZ. I guess that makes me sound spoiled but, I just have an expectation that I can carry a 5 bird/day average for the season and, most years, I make it or, damn close to it. What am I missing. Not trying to make a dig on you, I just can't wrap my head around it. In the past, when you talked about just getting a few birds, I just assumed that going to school had you hemmed in. So, I thought you just weren't getting out.
QH's Paw

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:08 am

QH's Paw wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

No I got 3

DH, where are you at? I thought you were in Arkansas. Is it an issue with access to good area or are you just in a spot out of all flyways. Maybe hunt less days and travel further on the days you hunt. You know, maybe if you'd sell some of those calls you're collecting, you could probably take a pretty nice once a season trip to a hunting meca area. Just throwing around ideas. It's just really difficult for me to imagine hunting 30 days and being skunked 28 of those days. I'm trying to understand it. This season was what I would call slow, number wise and number of hunts both. I only hunted 22 times and ended up with 92 birds in my logs. I was skunked 1 time and that was on Tim and I's hunt in AZ. I guess that makes me sound spoiled but, I just have an expectation that I can carry a 5 bird/day average for the season and, most years, I make it or, damn close to it. What am I missing. Not trying to make a dig on you, I just can't wrap my head around it. In the past, when you talked about just getting a few birds, I just assumed that going to school had you hemmed in. So, I thought you just weren't getting out.

I don't hunt arkansas just when I go home. I've kicked the idea around about hunting up here but I can't find anywhere to hunt and don't have a boat. I've talked to some of the local kids and they all say that we're in the wrong spot. The ones that do hunt go out and generally get 2-3 birds among 3-4 guys on private land I don't have access to. The delta is in the southeast corner I'm in the northwest.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:16 pm

Do you at least see ducks or on those skunk days do you never see a feather?

Even days when I don't kill a duck I usually see a fair amount of ducks to keep me interested.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:27 am

What about a kayak dude? Getting a hunting kayak was seriously the best thing I did for duck hunting. It's easy to store (compared to a boat), gets you in a ton of places because you can go where boats can go plus areas they can't, and you don't need to worry about if the water is over your waders.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:03 am

NuffDaddy wrote:Do you at least see ducks or on those skunk days do you never see a feather?

Even days when I don't kill a duck I usually see a fair amount of ducks to keep me interested.

There were a few days where you could have counted the ducks I saw on one hand. It was the worst hunting I have ever experienced. There was nothing normal about this. We had a cold snap before season that pushed all the early ducks out and then the mallards just never showed until after we were froze out.
SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:49 am

Goldfish wrote:What about a kayak dude? Getting a hunting kayak was seriously the best thing I did for duck hunting. It's easy to store (compared to a boat), gets you in a ton of places because you can go where boats can go plus areas they can't, and you don't need to worry about if the water is over your waders.

I've been thinking about this. I've never owned a kayak. I started a separate thread to get some advice on what I'm looking for.

http://www.waterfowlforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7293
SpinnerMan

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:08 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:Do you at least see ducks or on those skunk days do you never see a feather?

We see em flying high every time. I can get em down but most of the time they're committed on going to the lake and pull back up. Sad thing is I had the best private land spots around my hometown when I started until I took one of my brothers loudmouth friends. Next thing I knew motherfuckers were crawling everywhere. The sky busted, used party horns for calls(I guess if not they fooled me), and generally fucked around. My blinds got ripped down by people less successful. All that combined with bad water conditions have ruined my spots. Past two years I keep hoping they'll come back but it hasn't happened. I've got a good place on the lake lined out for next year that's almost inaccessible except through a friend of mines family land so that's probably where we are headed.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Olly » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:05 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:[quote uid=56 name="Olly" ][quote uid=728 name="The Duck Hammer" ][quote uid=763 name="Woody" ]Here's a random fact...
A buttload is an actual unit of measure.

Here's one for you.

In 1910 President Teddy Roosevelt supported a bill the would have released hippopotamuses into the Louisiana swamps to eat an invasive species of plant as well as supplied Americans with delicious hippopotamus bacon.[/quote]
Hippo season would have been awesome.[/quote]

Hell yeah it would have.[/quote]

Swamp wars hippo edition.

Sent from my XT1080 using Forum Fiend v1.3.1.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:07 pm

Olly wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:[quote uid=56 name="Olly" ][quote uid=728 name="The Duck Hammer" ][quote uid=763 name="Woody" ]Here's a random fact...
A buttload is an actual unit of measure.

Here's one for you.

In 1910 President Teddy Roosevelt supported a bill the would have released hippopotamuses into the Louisiana swamps to eat an invasive species of plant as well as supplied Americans with delicious hippopotamus bacon.

Hippo season would have been awesome.[/quote]

Hell yeah it would have.[/quote]

Swamp wars hippo edition.

Sent from my XT1080 using Forum Fiend v1.3.1.[/quote]

They wouldn't be using .22's.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby sws002 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:15 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:

We see em flying high every time. I can get em down but most of the time they're committed on going to the lake and pull back up. Sad thing is I had the best private land spots around my hometown when I started until I took one of my brothers loudmouth friends. Next thing I knew motherfuckers were crawling everywhere. The sky busted, used party horns for calls(I guess if not they fooled me), and generally fucked around. My blinds got ripped down by people less successful. All that combined with bad water conditions have ruined my spots. Past two years I keep hoping they'll come back but it hasn't happened. I've got a good place on the lake lined out for next year that's almost inaccessible except through a friend of mines family land so that's probably where we are headed.

Either your coaching it or allowing it to happen. Sounds like you need to start cracking skulls, no way you should be dealing with that shit on private land.
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:25 pm

sws002 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

Either your coaching it or allowing it to happen. Sounds like you need to start cracking skulls, no way you should be dealing with that shit on private land.

The places I hunt I have permission from the owner and the farmer that leases it. The problem is the owner has a dope head grandson that is friends with the high school kids and thinks he owns it. He gives out permission to the jackasses and then I get to deal with them. I've had run ins with them where they were trespassing on surrounding places, that I also have permission to hunt and are leased by the same guy, called the guy who owns the place the have "permission" to hunt and he comes down and kicks them off. Has happened several times but the guy really does nothing about it. I can't do anything drastic as it's not my land but I am supposed to be the only one allowed on it. It's a constant battle around that area that I have basically abandoned.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:34 pm

Case in point a couple years ago one of the high school kids showed up one Sunday morning with his older brother. They got there about 8 I had been there since 6. I was gonna leave about 9:30 to go to church and didn't want to get into an argument to hunt for another hour and a half and the other guys were already pretty pissed I was there. Don't know why. We had 8-10 birds between 4 of us so we were good. I left without issue and called to let the farmer know that somebody else was down there other than me or mine so if something happens I'm not responsible. The next day I run into my brothers friend and he says did you hear what so and so killed yesterday? I said no and he proceeds to show me pictures of a pile of mallards and geese. From what I could tell there were 30 mallards and 6 geese in the photos killed around 9 am. I get the pictures and call the land owner saying I wanted to give this to the GW cause they were about 18 birds over the limit. He told me I would not be doing that if I wanted to hunt there again and that he didn't want to get involved in any way, also the farmer might loose his lease and everyone get kicked off. I couldn't do that to the farmer so I dropped it. We haven't hunted that place near as much since then because of that and by then the birds have dwindled greatly. I think we hunted there once this season.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Olly » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:17 pm

Backpacking this weekend with the GF. 3 nights, 4 days. Not taking all of this local Winn Dixie has a buy one get one free deal. Not shown are trail snacks, cliff bars and trail mix. I've missed this shit, used to backpack all the time when in the scouts.

I need to get my dog his own pack, his damn food weighs more than mine!

IMG_20150211_172706541_HDR.jpg
Olly
WFF Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to The Blind