The Offical WFF BS Thread!

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: The Offical WFF BS Thread!

Postby flyn88 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:29 pm

Olly wrote:Backpacking this weekend with the GF. 3 nights, 4 days. Not taking all of this local Winn Dixie has a buy one get one free deal. Not shown are trail snacks, cliff bars and trail mix. I've missed this ****, used to backpack all the time when in the scouts.

I need to get my dog his own pack, his damn food weighs more than mine!

IMG_20150211_172706541_HDR.jpg

Started getting into hiking the local river bottoms last year. My family's property is against the state's. It's not huge, but easy to spend a day walking around. Only stayed the night out there once. Heaviest thing for me was water. Can't imagine how much you would need for an adventure like that.
flyn88

Postby Olly » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:23 pm

flyn88 wrote:
Olly wrote:Backpacking this weekend with the GF. 3 nights, 4 days. Not taking all of this local Winn Dixie has a buy one get one free deal. Not shown are trail snacks, cliff bars and trail mix. I've missed this ****, used to backpack all the time when in the scouts.

I need to get my dog his own pack, his damn food weighs more than mine!

IMG_20150211_172706541_HDR.jpg

Started getting into hiking the local river bottoms last year. My family's property is against the state's. It's not huge, but easy to spend a day walking around. Only stayed the night out there once. Heaviest thing for me was water. Can't imagine how much you would need for an adventure like that.

My pack is still under 30lbs hers is at 23lbs as of right now. Going to be hiking the Pinhoti trail here in AL round trip should cover 38 miles.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:47 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:Do you at least see ducks or on those skunk days do you never see a feather?

Even days when I don't kill a duck I usually see a fair amount of ducks to keep me interested.

There were a few days where you could have counted the ducks I saw on one hand. It was the worst hunting I have ever experienced. There was nothing normal about this. We had a cold snap before season that pushed all the early ducks out and then the mallards just never showed until after we were froze out.

Mallards were fucked up this year. They usually make up a majority of my bag and until December I only had about 10. 4 came from one corn hunt.
The fat ones finally showed up with the ice and I had a ball, but went through a lot of work for my 4 birds every day.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:49 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:Do you at least see ducks or on those skunk days do you never see a feather?

Even days when I don't kill a duck I usually see a fair amount of ducks to keep me interested.

We see em flying high every time. I can get em down but most of the time they're committed on going to the lake and pull back up. Sad thing is I had the best private land spots around my hometown when I started until I took one of my brothers loudmouth friends. Next thing I knew motherfuckers were crawling everywhere. The sky busted, used party horns for calls(I guess if not they fooled me), and generally fucked around. My blinds got ripped down by people less successful. All that combined with bad water conditions have ruined my spots. Past two years I keep hoping they'll come back but it hasn't happened. I've got a good place on the lake lined out for next year that's almost inaccessible except through a friend of mines family land so that's probably where we are headed.

That sucks the big one. Guys on public around here suck, but there is so much huntable land that if I get screwed by someone, there is always a place I can move to.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Willie » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:17 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:
sws002 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

We see em flying high every time. I can get em down but most of the time they're committed on going to the lake and pull back up. Sad thing is I had the best private land spots around my hometown when I started until I took one of my brothers loudmouth friends. Next thing I knew motherfuckers were crawling everywhere. The sky busted, used party horns for calls(I guess if not they fooled me), and generally fucked around. My blinds got ripped down by people less successful. All that combined with bad water conditions have ruined my spots. Past two years I keep hoping they'll come back but it hasn't happened. I've got a good place on the lake lined out for next year that's almost inaccessible except through a friend of mines family land so that's probably where we are headed.

Either your coaching it or allowing it to happen. Sounds like you need to start cracking skulls, no way you should be dealing with that shit on private land.

The places I hunt I have permission from the owner and the farmer that leases it. The problem is the owner has a dope head grandson that is friends with the high school kids and thinks he owns it. He gives out permission to the jackasses and then I get to deal with them. I've had run ins with them where they were trespassing on surrounding places, that I also have permission to hunt and are leased by the same guy, called the guy who owns the place the have "permission" to hunt and he comes down and kicks them off. Has happened several times but the guy really does nothing about it. I can't do anything drastic as it's not my land but I am supposed to be the only one allowed on it. It's a constant battle around that area that I have basically abandoned.

You need to lock this up with a lease...in writing, money exchanged, etc. That way you have something to work from when you do end up having to call the law.
Willie

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:02 am

NuffDaddy wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

There were a few days where you could have counted the ducks I saw on one hand. It was the worst hunting I have ever experienced. There was nothing normal about this. We had a cold snap before season that pushed all the early ducks out and then the mallards just never showed until after we were froze out.

Mallards were **** up this year. They usually make up a majority of my bag and until December I only had about 10. 4 came from one corn hunt.
The fat ones finally showed up with the ice and I had a ball, but went through a lot of work for my 4 birds every day.

Yep and given that where I hunt mallards make up about 80% of the ducks, when the mallards don't follow the plan, we are screwed. I'm in the Chicago suburbs and I just don't deal with the hassle of trying to get permission. I hunt a club 5 minutes from my house. I can hunt waterfowl and archery deer. Years like this, I hunt deer a lot more. I had planned on using some vacation and doing some hunting on public land during midweek, but there was no point to burn vacation when there were no ducks. And even after things froze, we still didn't have ducks for a few weeks and by the time we did, I just wasn't in the mood to fuck with the ice.

I just checked the club logs. Mallards were still about 80% of the ducks. Everything was down across the board. Our numbers were about 1/2 of a BAD year :shock:
SpinnerMan

Postby Goldfish » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:31 am

Willie wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
sws002 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

Either your coaching it or allowing it to happen. Sounds like you need to start cracking skulls, no way you should be dealing with that shit on private land.

The places I hunt I have permission from the owner and the farmer that leases it. The problem is the owner has a dope head grandson that is friends with the high school kids and thinks he owns it. He gives out permission to the jackasses and then I get to deal with them. I've had run ins with them where they were trespassing on surrounding places, that I also have permission to hunt and are leased by the same guy, called the guy who owns the place the have "permission" to hunt and he comes down and kicks them off. Has happened several times but the guy really does nothing about it. I can't do anything drastic as it's not my land but I am supposed to be the only one allowed on it. It's a constant battle around that area that I have basically abandoned.

You need to lock this up with a lease...in writing, money exchanged, etc. That way you have something to work from when you do end up having to call the law.

Go to hell. Then every farmer starts wanting money. A solid relationship and maybe a hand around the farm here or there should be enough. Paying to hunt... Ugh
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Olly » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:34 am

Here in lower AL if you want to shoot a deer you pretty much HAVE to pay for it. Hunt clubs down here are big money and almost always more of a social thing then a hunting thing. I agree though.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:04 pm

It's all about the money here, if you don't have it have fun on public.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:12 pm

But seriously, they float the note, upkeep every inch of their property to maintain their livelihood why should somebody else get to use it for free? Not even to mention how litigious society is now days, it's hardly worth the risk.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:53 pm

Flightstopper wrote:But seriously, they float the note, upkeep every inch of their property to maintain their livelihood why should somebody else get to use it for free? Not even to mention how litigious society is now days, it's hardly worth the risk.

Because if they are hunting it, then it's being utilized. If they aren't hunting it, you are doing them a service by removing animals that are eating/damaging their crops
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Olly » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:33 pm

No thanks.

Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby blockmaker » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:52 pm

Olly wrote:No thanks.

I shit my pants watching it!!
blockmaker

Postby Willie » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:27 pm

Goldfish wrote:
Willie wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
sws002 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:[quote="NuffDaddy"]Do you at least see ducks or on those skunk days do you never see a feather?

Go to hell. Then every farmer starts wanting money. A solid relationship and maybe a hand around the farm here or there should be enough. Paying to hunt... Ugh[/quote]
Ok, carry on fighting it out with the grand kids and their buddies. You'll learn soon that the relatives get first priority and you're out a nice hunting spot.
Willie

Postby flyn88 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:51 pm

Willie wrote:
Goldfish wrote:
Willie wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
sws002 wrote:[quote="The Duck Hammer"][quote="NuffDaddy"]Do you at least see ducks or on those skunk days do you never see a feather?

We see em flying high every time. I can get em down but most of the time they're committed on going to the lake and pull back up. Sad thing is I had the best private land spots around my hometown when I started until I took one of my brothers loudmouth friends. Next thing I knew **** were crawling everywhere. The sky busted, used party horns for calls(I guess if not they fooled me), and generally **** around. My blinds got ripped down by people less successful. All that combined with bad water conditions have ruined my spots. Past two years I keep hoping they'll come back but it hasn't happened. I've got a good place on the lake lined out for next year that's almost inaccessible except through a friend of mines family land so that's probably where we are headed.

Either your coaching it or allowing it to happen. Sounds like you need to start cracking skulls, no way you should be dealing with that **** on private land.

Go to hell. Then every farmer starts wanting money. A solid relationship and maybe a hand around the farm here or there should be enough. Paying to hunt... Ugh[/quote]
Ok, carry on fighting it out with the grand kids and their buddies. You'll learn soon that the relatives get first priority and you're out a nice hunting spot.[/quote]

Money really changes things. Lost some really good ground because of it.
flyn88

Postby Goldfish » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:51 pm

flyn88 wrote:
Willie wrote:
Goldfish wrote:
Willie wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:[quote="sws002"][quote="The Duck Hammer"][quote="NuffDaddy"]Do you at least see ducks or on those skunk days do you never see a feather?

We see em flying high every time. I can get em down but most of the time they're committed on going to the lake and pull back up. Sad thing is I had the best private land spots around my hometown when I started until I took one of my brothers loudmouth friends. Next thing I knew **** were crawling everywhere. The sky busted, used party horns for calls(I guess if not they fooled me), and generally **** around. My blinds got ripped down by people less successful. All that combined with bad water conditions have ruined my spots. Past two years I keep hoping they'll come back but it hasn't happened. I've got a good place on the lake lined out for next year that's almost inaccessible except through a friend of mines family land so that's probably where we are headed.

Either your coaching it or allowing it to happen. Sounds like you need to start cracking skulls, no way you should be dealing with that **** on private land.

Ok, carry on fighting it out with the grand kids and their buddies. You'll learn soon that the relatives get first priority and you're out a nice hunting spot.[/quote]

Money really changes things. Lost some really good ground because of it.[/quote]
Yup. And if you are dealing with a farmer who'll take your money and not let family hunt it, then you are only a season away from losing it to a higher bidder
Goldfish

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:16 pm

Goldfish wrote:Yup. And if you are dealing with a farmer who'll take your money and not let family hunt it, then you are only a season away from losing it to a higher bidder

Not necessarily.

It's like having a good tenant.

If they are taking care of and looking out for your property, why do you want to risk getting some moron that will fuck up your shit for a few bucks more?

If there is no family hunting the property, it's good to have people out there that you can trust. A lot of this is people that didn't grow up on or around a farm and don't have respect for the property that screw things up for the rest of us.

I can see both sides of this. If I had property, I may or may not let anyone hunt on it that I didn't know. It would just depend. I can certainly see why someone that doesn't hunt and doesn't have family or friends that hunt would lease it out. I also see why people would lease the land. Do you want to put in a bunch of time and effort and just to have some morons show up and screw things up for you?
SpinnerMan

Postby flyn88 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:16 am

Had this one come into the shop yesterday. Truck has just over 300k on it. Guess it's starting to get tired.
flyn88

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:22 pm

That'll buff right out
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby sws002 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:42 pm

Is that bad?
To achieve success, one must possess dedication, passion and a boatload of decoys.
#LagunaMadre2k14
sws002

Postby Goldfish » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:59 pm

4 wheel drive is overrated anyways
Goldfish

Postby Olly » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:47 pm

Today and yesterday were killer hiking out tomorrow. My body is freaking sore.

Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Deltaman » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:17 am

Spent some time up there a few years ago, but rented one of the little log cabins instead of camping (had to be able to run my c-pap). Beautiful area and plenty of room to play in the woods, away from the masses. Have fun Olly!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Olly » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:36 pm

Deltaman wrote:Spent some time up there a few years ago, but rented one of the little log cabins instead of camping (had to be able to run my c-pap). Beautiful area and plenty of room to play in the woods, away from the masses. Have fun Olly!!!

Thanks! We didn't do the cabin thing we spent 2 nights in the wilderness primitive camping. The whole time we only saw one other group of people and I think the weather was to blame. We just got back to the truck and a winter mix is heading in, we broke camp super early this morning and hiked out. We are both pretty sore, hiked 28 miles in 3 days in and out.
Olly
WFF Administrator

The Offical WFF BS Thread!

Postby Woody » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:48 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424119649.022107.jpg

It 9:30 pm and I'm a little drunk.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby Goldfish » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:59 pm

Anyone know where to watch the snl 40th special in full?
Goldfish

Postby Olly » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:18 pm

Goldfish wrote:Anyone know where to watch the snl 40th special in full?

Is that what you wanted your 6,666th post to say?
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Olly » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:29 pm

Woody wrote:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424119649.022107.jpg

It 9:30 pm and I'm a little drunk.

Looks awesome.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Goldfish » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:29 pm

Hmmm, well, it is what it is. Lol. I guess asking where to get a pirated episode on my 6666th is fitting
Goldfish

Postby Olly » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:31 pm

Goldfish wrote:Hmmm, well, it is what it is. Lol. I guess asking where to get a pirated episode on my 6666th is fitting

I took a look on a few torrent sites for you and found nothing. I assume it was this past Saturday? Might take a little while for someone to upload a copy and for it to spread across the Internet.
Olly
WFF Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to The Blind