The Offical WFF BS Thread!

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: The Offical WFF BS Thread!

Postby bill herian » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:33 pm

Isn't driving for that long in 4wd really bad for the vehicle? Or is that just at higher speed?

Only time I use it is plowing or driving through 8+inches of snow.
bill herian

Postby NuffDaddy » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:53 pm

bill herian wrote:Isn't driving for that long in 4wd really bad for the vehicle? Or is that just at higher speed?

I don't think it hurts...Just don't be hauling ass. Kills gas milage though. I hate driving in 4wd because If you get loose you're screwed. In 2 wheel just let off the gas and you'll straighten right out. Only time I use 4x4 is when I can't go in 2.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:28 pm

Old 4x4 is different than new 4 wheel drive beel. Typically the front axle isn't locked in newer 4by which is what was hard on things in the older trucks. It is more properly described as power is bring sent to both axles and probably only one tire on each axle
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Olly » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:57 pm

It's bad at high speeds new or old and bad when you're on dry surfaces for a long time. Riding 30mph or less on fresh snow packed or similar roads is what modern 4x4 is for.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:27 pm

bill herian wrote:Isn't driving for that long in 4wd really bad for the vehicle? Or is that just at higher speed?

I've always been told keep the speed down and you're fine. Engine never got hot so we kept on rolling. :thumbsup:
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Bulldog0156 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:41 pm

R. Chapman wrote:
Olly wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:Go in 2wd as far as you can. Once you get stuck, 4wd will get you out. :qh:

This is a bad idea. 4x4 isn't a magically thing that works 100% of the time.

Use it when conditions call for it before you get stuck.

So now you get stuck in 4wd. You do that, you're fucked. I been stuck pretty bad in 2wd a time or two were 4wd plowed right on through. Just make sure you have logging and tire chains, cables, a winch, and a avalanche shovel.

Feel free to come out to the breaks in the spring and try your luck using your method. Olly has been driving for a dozen more years than you; with experience comes wisdom.
Bulldog0156

The Offical WFF BS Thread!

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:39 pm

Hey @Olly what is your truck? My cousin has a 95 cummins 2500 he might sell me. Just looking for some dodge info. I've never really looked into the dodge trucks.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:01 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:Hey olly, what is your truck? My cousin has a 95 cummins 2500 he might sell me. Just looking for some dodge info. I've never really looked into the dodge trucks.

2000 Dodge 2500 4x4 with the NV5600 6-speed manual transmission. It's got the 24v 5.9l Cummins.

The 95 will have the 12v 5.9l. Big differences between the 12 and 24v besides the obvious valves is that the 12v is all mechanical and the 24v is computer controlled. Both have their good points and bad, the 24v does have more power than the 12v but 12v's are easier (cheaper) to gain horse power.

If the truck is in great shape body wise and the engine has been taken care of that 12v Cummins will take you anywhere you want to go. On the full sized Dodges when buying used I would look at the transmission first if it's an automatic, they are known for not holding up to much power. If it has the NV4500 5-speed manual that trans is almost bullet proof. Then I would look at hubs and steering all common parts that wear out faster than other parts on the 2nd gen Dodge 2500.

Got any pictures? Here's mine.

IMG_20141017_151924250_HDR.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:07 pm

It's manual. 100% rust free. 9" lift with new tires. Some aftermarket clutch he says is better. Need 4x4 u joint but he will help me do it if I buy. Other than that he says its in great shape. He owes 8k and that's what he'd sell it to me for.
Only picture he sent me.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424815666.355260.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:08 pm

Also just redid all the steering in it when he bought it a few months ago
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:27 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:It's manual. 100% rust free. 9" lift with new tires. Some aftermarket clutch he says is better. Need 4x4 u joint but he will help me do it if I buy. Other than that he says its in great shape. He owes 8k and that's what he'd sell it to me for.
Only picture he sent me.

For 8K that's not a bad deal. Will leave you with enough left over to take care of the paint job :lol:
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:00 pm

Olly wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:It's manual. 100% rust free. 9" lift with new tires. Some aftermarket clutch he says is better. Need 4x4 u joint but he will help me do it if I buy. Other than that he says its in great shape. He owes 8k and that's what he'd sell it to me for.
Only picture he sent me.

For 8K that's not a bad deal. Will leave you with enough left over to take care of the paint job :lol:

Yeah. I was thinking the same thing. That's an easy fix though. Haha
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Bulldog0156 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:18 pm

Rattle can that shit.
Bulldog0156

Postby Woody » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:02 pm

Why is this summer stretching out so long?
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:56 pm

Woody wrote:Why is this summer stretching out so long?

What are you talking about?
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Woody » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:47 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Woody wrote:Why is this summer stretching out so long?

What are you talking about?

Dammit! I started to ask, "when will summer get here?" Then decided to ask, "why is this winter stretching out so long?"
And what's above is the wonderful linguistics I threw up instead.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby Woody » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:57 am

Woody

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:20 am

The idiot weather guys up in Atlanta haven't been right yet in 2015.
They're calling for either 4 inches of rain or 7 inches of snow here later today. But they don't know.
I'm gona split the difference and say we get an ice storm.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Olly » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:10 am

I'm the only one in the office today. This is how work should be done!
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Olly » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:20 am

Woody wrote:Image

That looks good.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:11 pm

Thinking about getting a Ruger LCR this summer. Anybody have/messed with one?

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:09 pm

Olly wrote:I'm the only one in the office today. This is how work should be done!

Start your own business.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:37 pm

At the Dr office.

Good times.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Goldfish » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:00 pm

Bulldog0156 wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:
Olly wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:Go in 2wd as far as you can. Once you get stuck, 4wd will get you out. :qh:

This is a bad idea. 4x4 isn't a magically thing that works 100% of the time.

Use it when conditions call for it before you get stuck.

So now you get stuck in 4wd. You do that, you're fucked. I been stuck pretty bad in 2wd a time or two were 4wd plowed right on through. Just make sure you have logging and tire chains, cables, a winch, and a avalanche shovel.

Feel free to come out to the breaks in the spring and try your luck using your method. Olly has been driving for a dozen more years than you; with experience comes wisdom.

It depends on where you are. On roads/forest fire roads/etc then yes do the 2 wheel first. If you are actual off roading which I'm guessing is what these "breaks" are, then I'm assuming you'll need momentum so you want all 4 pulling you thru it. Snow on a road, no 4by. Screws up your steering
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:50 pm

So embarrassing when it snows in the south. Yeah it's a treat for us bc we hardly ever see it but the whole fuckin state shuts down and the tv and radio covers it round the damn clock.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:57 pm

So embarrassing when it snows in the south. Yeah it's a treat for us bc we hardly ever see it but the whole fuckin state shuts down and the tv and radio covers it round the damn clock.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Olly » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:25 pm

Goldfish wrote: Snow on a road, no 4by. Screws up your steering

So my old 4x4 chevy that I drove around the Soo in for over 3 years using 4x4 every single day in the winter for months and months had screwed up steering? It's meant to be used in the types of conditions you're saying not to use it in. You might as well have bought a 2wd truck if you're going to be that silly.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:28 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:So embarrassing when it snows in the south. Yeah it's a treat for us bc we hardly ever see it but the whole **** state shuts down and the tv and radio covers it round the damn clock.

The TV covers it even if it is going to snow 100 miles away. That used to piss me off. I'd hear the blurb and think there was a problem and then find out that the forecast was for snow in Tennessee :evil:

When I lived in Atlanta going to Ga Tech, I was driving to school and I was pulling off the exit and it comes over the radio that Ga Tech was closed. The snow was so deep it had yet to even cover the grass :lol: :lol: :lol: I was in graduate school, so I just went to my office and went to work. It never even crossed my mind that anything would be closed for a dusting to an inch.

However, fuck that ice that you guys get. That is a nightmare. You can't go anywhere, the pine trees snap off everywhere, the power lines all get knocked down. We got hit with a bad ice storm and were stuck at home for several days because it stayed cold and didn't melt. Luckily we were only without power for a couple hours while some people in our general area were out of power for days.
SpinnerMan

Postby DixieDawg » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:18 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:Thinking about getting a Ruger LCR this summer. Anybody have/messed with one?

It's a decent revolver personally I prefer the smith but that's just me
-Dusty-
DixieDawg

Postby Goldfish » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:05 pm

Olly wrote:
Goldfish wrote: Snow on a road, no 4by. Screws up your steering

So my old 4x4 chevy that I drove around the Soo in for over 3 years using 4x4 every single day in the winter for months and months had screwed up steering? It's meant to be used in the types of conditions you're saying not to use it in. You might as well have bought a 2wd truck if you're going to be that silly.

Just cuz a bama boy don't know how to drive in the snow...

I don't mean it physically screws up your steering components, I mean you push into corners because your front tires are trying to apply forward/slowing forces instead of just steering. It's boring. You have to go all slow around corners for fear of diving head first into the ditch unless you initiate a 4 wheel drift before the corner which not many people know how to do
Goldfish

PreviousNext

Return to The Blind