Whatchu lukin' et huh?

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: Whatchu lukin' et huh?

Postby Pintail » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:30 am

It doesn't get much stupider when you take pictures with dead rats.
Pintail

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:38 am

Except when you use the word "stupider".
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Pintail » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:41 am

3legged_lab wrote:Except when you use the word "stupider".

Ouch. This forum is rubbing off on me!
Pintail

Postby Redbeard » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:42 am

This thread just got stupider
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:53 am

Redbeard wrote:This thread just got stupider

Impossible.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Goldfish » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:38 am

3legged_lab wrote:
Redbeard wrote:This thread just got stupider

Impossible.
not impossibler
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby RonE » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:17 pm

R. Chapman wrote:I'm actually glad I didn't sell this. Now I can pick gophers off with it and be deadly quiet.

Thought you were getting into accurate rifles, not stupid looking shotguns.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:15 pm

RonE wrote:
R. Chapman wrote:I'm actually glad I didn't sell this. Now I can pick gophers off with it and be deadly quiet.

:lol:
clampdaddy

Postby R. Chapman » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:12 pm

RonE wrote:

If Bartlein could ever get me my barrel and NW Actions get me my action, I'd be somewhere.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:17 pm

3legged_lab wrote:Except when you use the word "stupider".

Pintail wrote: Ouch. This forum is rubbing off on me!

It'll do that.....then it'll rub you sore.....then you get calluses. :beer:
Glimmerjim

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:19 pm

ducks~n~bucks wrote:Perfect for when you run out of shells, you can start clubbing the ducks out of the air.

R. Chapman wrote: That gopher was smoked at 80 yards with the barrel extension. Quiet to. Didn't even stir the cat.

Why would it be quieter? Are you sure it's not just quieter for you because the sound is 4 feet further away?
Glimmerjim

Postby R. Chapman » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:52 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:
ducks~n~bucks wrote:Perfect for when you run out of shells, you can start clubbing the ducks out of the air.

R. Chapman wrote: That gopher was smoked at 80 yards with the barrel extension. Quiet to. Didn't even stir the cat.

Why would it be quieter? Are you sure it's not just quieter for you because the sound is 4 feet further away?

Pretty sure it's quieter. I've fired off a few rounds in the front yard and didn't get any complaints from the neighbors.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:55 pm

R. Chapman wrote: Pretty sure it's quieter. I've fired off a few rounds in the front yard and didn't get any complaints from the neighbors.

Huh! Wild. We need someone smart to pitch in and explain to me why it would be quieter. Where's Spinner when you need him? :lol:
Glimmerjim

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:06 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:
R. Chapman wrote: Pretty sure it's quieter. I've fired off a few rounds in the front yard and didn't get any complaints from the neighbors.

Huh! Wild. We need someone smart to pitch in and explain to me why it would be quieter. Where's Spinner when you need him? :lol:

The same reason suppressors work.

The additional length of barrel gives the hot gasses developed in ignition a chance to cool and slow before exiting the muzzle thereby creating less of a "bang"...
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:32 pm

Jim Metro Gun's website says that the barrel clocks in at 72db when using subsonic ammo, which they say is comparable to a car door closing.
This is the real Botiz630
Botiz630

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:35 pm

For comparison, I just looked it up and a normal shotgun would be around 170db.
Botiz630

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:38 pm

Interestingly, the death of hearing tissue begins to occur at 180db.
Botiz630

Postby Redbeard » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:42 pm

Botiz630 wrote:Interestingly, the death of hearing tissue begins to occur at 180db.
huh?
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:43 pm

Glimmerjim wrote: Huh! Wild. We need someone smart to pitch in and explain to me why it would be quieter. Where's Spinner when you need him? :lol:

DeadEye_Dan wrote: The same reason suppressors work.

The additional length of barrel gives the hot gasses developed in ignition a chance to cool and slow before exiting the muzzle thereby creating less of a "bang"...

I'll be darned! I knew there was a smart guy out there somewhere, Dan! :lol: :thumbsup:
Glimmerjim

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:44 pm

Redbeard wrote:
Botiz630 wrote:Interestingly, the death of hearing tissue begins to occur at 180db.
huh?

:lol: :lol: Took me a sec! :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
Glimmerjim

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:46 pm

Botiz630 wrote:Jim Metro Gun's website says that the barrel clocks in at 72db when using subsonic ammo, which they say is comparable to a car door closing.

Wow that's crazy. The law couldn't consider that as a silencer either, I wouldn't think. Could have some VERY practical applications! :beer: Thinking about it though, you say subsonic ammo. I don't want to figure it from miles per hour. What is that in feet per second?
Glimmerjim

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:50 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:

The bang in a gun is due to the gases/shot breaking the sound barrier.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Bad17 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:53 pm

Usually 1100fps or less.
If it flies it dies. If it lands... It dies too.
Bad17

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:54 pm

Eric Haynes wrote: The bang in a gun is due to the gases/shot breaking the sound barrier.

So why does the longer barrel reduce sound, Eric? Does it slow the shot that much?
Glimmerjim

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:58 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote: The bang in a gun is due to the gases/shot breaking the sound barrier.

So why does the longer barrel reduce sound, Eric? Does it slow the shot that much?

The shot breaks the sound barrier in the barrel so it dissipates into the steel rather than outside the barrel. Some sound does escape though.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:58 pm

I've heard that about bull whips too, Eric. Last time I handled one of those I was at my in laws. My father had one just for decoration. I pull it down, throw up then down to make a pop.....and it hits me about 1/2" below by eye. Left a vivid welt for about 5 days. Coiled up the whip, put it back, and haven't gone near one since! :lol: :lol:
Glimmerjim

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:01 pm

Eric Haynes wrote: The shot breaks the sound barrier in the barrel so it dissipates into the steel rather than outside the barrel. Some sound does escape though.

Huh! That's wild! I want one. I guess just thread the outside of one barrel and the inside of another would do the trick, huh? Don't know how accurate it would be, but with golf course honkers who cares? :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
Glimmerjim

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:07 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
DeadEye_Dan wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:

The bang in a gun is due to the gases/shot breaking the sound barrier.

Well, to be technically correct - there are two "bangs". One from the hot gasses from the ignition and one from the sound of the ejecta (bullet/wad/shot) breaking the sound barrier.
In a standard configuration (supersonic ammunition, unsuppressed) you never hear the bullet breaking the sound barrier at the muzzle because the sound of the gasses exploding are louder than the sonic boom.

Sub-sonic ammunition has the benefit of a reduced charge (smaller explosion) and bullets that create no sonic crack.

GJ - right the sound barrier is right around 1100 fps
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:08 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:

The shot breaks the sound barrier in the barrel so it dissipates into the steel rather than outside the barrel. Some sound does escape though.

Assafact much??
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:10 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote: The shot breaks the sound barrier in the barrel so it dissipates into the steel rather than outside the barrel. Some sound does escape though.

Huh! That's wild! I want one. I guess just thread the outside of one barrel and the inside of another would do the trick, huh? Don't know how accurate it would be, but with golf course honkers who cares? :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

Think about it GJ - if that was accurate information, the shot charge would be creating a sonic boom as long as the shot/bullet was supersonic.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to The Blind