Random Pictures

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: Random Pictures

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:13 am

Olly wrote:Shotgun for those carp flying in the air? No way. Baseball bat seems about the most fun way.

From a boat yeah a bat would be badass. But I'd want to try and shoot some. Definitely not out of a moving boat though.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:13 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Olly wrote:Shotgun for those carp flying in the air? No way. Baseball bat seems about the most fun way.

From a boat yeah a bat would be badass. But I'd want to try and shoot some. Definitely not out of a moving boat though.

That is probably the only way to get them to jump. I can think up some clever ideas that may work, but practically, it is a moving boat.

BTW, you should see these fish go bonkers when they turn on the shocking equipment :shock: I saw the DNR shocking the one day. WOW.
SpinnerMan

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:54 am

FlintRiverFowler

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:45 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:http://youtu.be/G7Vv1ylTZD4

I worry about those idiots screwing things up for the rest of us. One of those morons ends up spearing themselves and suddenly they put restrictions on the rest of us.
SpinnerMan

Postby Olly » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:45 pm

This is random pictures not random youtube... :lol:
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:46 pm

Olly wrote:

I think I've got us a bit off topic. I tend to do that. Sorry :(
SpinnerMan

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:46 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
Olly wrote:

I think I've got us a bit off topic. I tend to do that. Sorry :(

Hot this was supposed to go in the thread that was off topic on carp
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Olly » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:56 pm

Hey I don't care. I just keep the lights on.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby ohioduck » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:23 pm

I would think hitting a big one with a bat would hurt like hell. Be like hitting a bowling ball
I hate being Bi-polar, It's awesome.
ohioduck

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:04 pm

ohioduck wrote:I would think hitting a big one with a bat would hurt like hell. Be like hitting a bowling ball

They are pretty soft, probably more like hitting a heavy bag.

I caught one once. Hit me square in the chest. I was stunned for a moment and then tossed him in the barrel.
SpinnerMan

Postby ohioduck » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:18 pm

Hit a heavy bag with a bat while running. I think it would suck
ohioduck

Postby Olly » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:41 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
ohioduck wrote:I would think hitting a big one with a bat would hurt like hell. Be like hitting a bowling ball

I caught one once. Hit me square in the chest. I was stunned for a moment and then tossed him in the barrel.

My coolest story like that was I caught a BWT one before LST. Hit me right below the neck, I was doing about 25mph. Ended up letting it go of course.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:56 pm

Olly wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

My coolest story like that was I caught a BWT one before LST. Hit me right below the neck, I was doing about 25mph. Ended up letting it go of course.

I would have quietly taken it home. Allegedly caught a speck in a field one time and kept him for a month before letting him go again. Nasty mother fuckers to clean up after.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:18 pm

ohioduck wrote:Hit a heavy bag with a bat while running. I think it would suck

Didn't say it would be fun. Just not as bad as hitting a bowling ball. Notice they are mostly glancing blows.
SpinnerMan

Postby grnhd » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:54 am

I did a job for KY Dept F&W catching Asian carp (I commercial fish for a living). They were putting radio tags in them so they could track how fast they are moving up the ohio river. They jaw tagged a few but most they didn't so if anybody ever caught one they wouldn't know it had a $400 transmitter in it. I caught them all the way up to the dam before WV. I suspect they are past that though and are well into WV. I don't think they'll get as thick as they are here in the west part of KY though, there just isn't the habitat they need way up the river.
They also jaw tag a ton of spoonbill in the ohio river, I've caught a bunch of them. I know guys that have caught spoonbill that were tagged in SD and LA.
grnhd

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:53 am

grnhd wrote:I did a job for KY Dept F&W catching Asian carp (I commercial fish for a living).

Are they screwing up the fisheries?

Also, where (not looking for GPS coordinates, but hey if you want to give them) and when should I go to get a spoonbill? It is something I'd really like to get, preferably with my bow, but snagged or any other way would be cool.
SpinnerMan

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:25 am

SpinnerMan wrote:
grnhd wrote:I did a job for KY Dept F&W catching Asian carp (I commercial fish for a living).

Also, where (not looking for GPS coordinates, but hey if you want to give them) and when should I go to get a spoonbill? It is something I'd really like to get, preferably with my bow, but snagged or any other way would be cool.

I know where some are in Texas but I don't think it would be wise to shoot them.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:11 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

I know where some are in Texas but I don't think it would be wise to shoot them.

Some places you can and some you cannot. You can't in Illinois. I'm pretty sure you can in KY. I hope to make a trip down there to bowfish and if I can, I'd like spoonbills to be a possibility. I was hoping to do it this spring, but that's out. I don't believe the summer is a good time for them, but I don't know.
SpinnerMan

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:34 am

SpinnerMan wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

Some places you can and some you cannot. You can't in Illinois. I'm pretty sure you can in KY. I hope to make a trip down there to bowfish and if I can, I'd like spoonbills to be a possibility. I was hoping to do it this spring, but that's out. I don't believe the summer is a good time for them, but I don't know.

I've always wanted to try and catch one but I don't think you're allowed to go where they are. The fact that so many people have told me they're down there makes me want to try it anyway. I don't want to keep one just want to say I've done it. Maybe I'll look it up this summer.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:13 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428599589.902408.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428599613.215364.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby grnhd » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:47 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:

Are the Asian carp screwing up the fisheries? Heck yeah! There is places they have completely taken over, you cant fish for anything else in those areas, or maybe I should say you cant catch anything else in those areas. And there is no money fishing for the things, those guys that fish for them are crazy. Killing yourself for .10 cents a pound.

If you come down here to bowfish PLEASE don't be like some of the pigs and throw your fish on the bank, PLEASE don't leave them in a pile at the ramp and PLEASE don't leave them along some back road. Its gotten so bad that wardens are spending time trying to catch these pigs when I'm sure they have better things to do than keep people from being pigs.
PM me and I'll point you in a good direction to shoot a spoonbill.
grnhd

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:19 am

Thanks.

Dumping is a big problem for the bowfishing sport. I'm part of a club that promotes it and that is one thing we are well aware of and worry about because it puts a big black eye on the sport.

I'd like to think that they are newbies that went out and get caught up and find themselves with more fish than they know what to do, but I think the truth is that just some people are pigs and don't give a second thought about other people.

I have a particular problem with people that shoot native fish and do this. Carp are like rats, shoot 'em all, just don't leave them to rot where you don't have permission or where they will screw things up for other like any barrel or dumpster anywhere near any people. However, buffalo, gar, or any native fish, there is no excuse for whackin' and stackin' unless they are going to be used.

We've been trying to get the DNR to put a dumpster for fish somewhere up here. I'd be happy to fill my boat up with them as would a lot of other people, but if I did, I would have nothing to do with them, so I shoot a few and move on looking for things that I want. Of course as you well know, the bowfisherman will never make a dent in them. There are just unbelievable numbers of them.

I hope they succeed in finding a market so guys like you can make a good living catching them. That is the only thing that will make a dent and even that I suspect will only have a limited impact.
SpinnerMan

Postby Deltaman » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:05 am

Spoonbills are not legal to catch down here, but are plentiful. One of my friends bumped one in the head with the prop while easing up to his camp pier a few years ago, and was able to pick it up, not knowing that it was illegal. He brought it to our camp to show us, and I cleaned it for him. Those things have no teeth, and a backbone of cartilage, not bone, and the easiest way to clean them is to cut off the head, and cut a ring around the skinny part of the tail, twist the tail, and pull the backbone out. Damn backbone looks like an umbilical cord on a newborn. Then you cut it into steaks, and trim the skin off. Beautiful white meat, and when I was a kid, the commercial guys use to rape the species here. Think the population has since made a rebound, and this time of the year while bream fishing in some of the bigger delta lakes, can see them breaking the surface of the water regularly. Odd looking fish, and when looking at them from the tail, their appearance is not unlike a shark, until you see the head.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby ohioduck » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:15 am

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/ga ... r2&lnk=IMG

landed a 140-pound spoonbill that set a new Missouri paddlefish record
ohioduck

Postby blockmaker » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:15 pm

@grhnd where you from? I'm in paducah ky and yes the Asian carp are destroying our fisheries!
blockmaker

Postby grnhd » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:37 pm

blockmaker wrote:@grhnd where you from? I'm in paducah ky and yes the Asian carp are destroying our fisheries!

Suwanee, near the big flea markets. If you don't know where that is, you're about 30 miles from me.
grnhd

Postby flyn88 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:41 pm

Normal farming practices of the past. I'm sure fielding hunting was a lot different back then.
flyn88

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:42 pm

I wish I had a tractor like that.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby ohioduck » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:10 am

Those old corn pickers were cool.
ohioduck

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:45 am

ohioduck wrote:Those old corn pickers were a pain in the dickhole.

Fify
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to The Blind