Barbecue chicken at duckkillerclyde's

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Postby duckkillerclyde » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:10 pm

Barbecue tonight. :beer:

Probably just me and and the dogs. The ol' lady is still gone.
duckkillerclyde

Re: Barbecue chicken at duckkillerclyde's

Postby assateague » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:05 pm

duckkillerclyde wrote:Barbecue tonight. :beer:

You should try the MD Eastern Shore style barbecue chicken. Soak the chicken in a bowl (not metal) with twice as much cider vinegar and warm water, and about 1/3 cup salt. Let it soak for about an hour, but no more than 3. Tastes best if you cook it on charcoal, but works well on gas, too. The salt and vinegar almost make a crust, and the outer layer of chicken is "pickled" before it goes on the grill keeping it moist. You can add some sauce at the end if you want, but we usually don't. Some do.
assateague

Postby duckkillerclyde » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:46 pm

I only have wood pellet barbecue.
duckkillerclyde

Postby jehler » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:11 am

assateague wrote:

You should try the MD Eastern Shore style barbecue chicken. Soak the chicken in a bowl (not metal) with twice as much cider vinegar and warm water, and about 1/3 cup salt. Let it soak for about an hour, but no more than 3. Tastes best if you cook it on charcoal, but works well on gas, too. The salt and vinegar almost make a crust, and the outer layer of chicken is "pickled" before it goes on the grill keeping it moist. You can add some sauce at the end if you want, but we usually don't. Some do.

gonna try this tonight assa, any other seasonings? or just right on the charcoal or an inderect heat?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:36 am

jehler wrote:
assateague wrote:

gonna try this tonight assa, any other seasonings? or just right on the charcoal or an inderect heat?

as am I
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby assateague » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:44 am

Indirect heat. The sauce (if you use it) balances out the salty "crust". No other seasonings, the flavor's from the smoke. You'll find the skin will turn a dark brown rather than burn black, even if it flares up. No idea why, but suspect it has to do with the "pickle".
assateague

Postby jehler » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:14 pm

It's coming along
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339892087.187779.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Olly » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:18 pm

jehler wrote:It's coming along

So I'm toying around with an idea to start a WFF cook book. Everyone throws in a few recipes for anything. We could make two sections one for waterfowl and one for everything else. I'd even be willing to print a few out and use our binding machine at work to make them offical, mail them out to everyone. What do you guys think?
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby assateague » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:09 pm

I'd pay for one.
assateague

Postby Olly » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:11 pm

assateague wrote:I'd pay for one.

I don't like the idea of charging for one, especially if you put in some recepies.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby assateague » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:18 pm

At least for expenses. "Shipping and Handling" :lol:
assateague

Postby jehler » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:18 pm

Olly wrote:

I don't like the idea of charging for one, especially if you put in some recepies.

take his money, it would be like a trophy :thumbsup:

Assa, the chicken was great. was worried about it being to vinigery but it was real good, aded to the monthly menu for sure
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Olly » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:23 pm

Haha if Assa every gave me a dollar I'd bronze it, like his Emu feet.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby assateague » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:43 pm

Ha!
assateague

Postby assateague » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:50 pm

Glad you liked it. I always worry about certain recipes being "acquired tastes", or only good because we've personally been eating them for 40 years or so and don't know any better. Always makes me nervous.
assateague

Postby jehler » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:53 pm

assateague wrote:Glad you liked it. I always worry about certain recipes being "acquired tastes", or only good because we've personally been eating them for 40 years or so and don't know any better. Always makes me nervous.

I know what you mean, like grandmas potato salad that no one else likes...

I've lived around and traveled a lot, once you've eaten outside of your comfort zone a few times you start to crave different.... For me anyway, hate getting stick in a meal rotation
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Redbeard » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:47 am

jehler wrote:
Olly wrote:

take his money, it would be like a trophy :thumbsup:

Assa, the chicken was great. was worried about it being to vinigery but it was real good, aded to the monthly menu for sure

Never had the chance to try the recipe. Hopefully next days off. Glad to hear it rocked
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby duckkillerclyde » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:25 pm

barbecue beef steak tonight.
duckkillerclyde

Postby Tomkat » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:05 am

Olly wrote:

So I'm toying around with an idea to start a WFF cook book. Everyone throws in a few recipes for anything. We could make two sections one for waterfowl and one for everything else. I'd even be willing to print a few out and use our binding machine at work to make them offical, mail them out to everyone. What do you guys think?

I could REALLY use some recipies for cooking duck. I dont think I am doing it right, and I know there are many, MANY ways to prepare it.
Tomkat

Postby Goldfish » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:20 pm

Yea, I'd be all for a cook book that has easier recipies to make wild game taste good. Sure, there are recipies that will make merganser taste better than what you can get at the fine french cuisine uptown, but it takes 14 flippin hours to prepair. I need something that I either A: marinade over night/while I'm at work or B: only takes an hour or two before cooking. Assa's chicken one sounds good, and easy, and that's how I like my wome... recipies.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby duckkillerclyde » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:24 pm

Tomkat wrote:
Olly wrote:

I could REALLY use some recipies for cooking duck. I dont think I am doing it right, and I know there are many, MANY ways to prepare it.

best way I've found it to cook duck fry pan, cook some bacon in a separate fry pan. throw away the duck eat the bacon.
duckkillerclyde

Postby Westie25 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:25 pm

I'd be in for a cooking book.
Westie25

Postby assateague » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:27 pm

I cook almost all my duck the same way, including buffleheads (except I soak them in buttermilk for about 2 hours first). Throw the breasts in a baking dish, sprinkle on some salt and a LITTLE cinnamon, dice up a couple apples very small, and throw them on top, then a handful of raisins. 350 for about 20 minutes, pull them out and eat. I throw the apples away, most of the time, but sometimes I'll eat them. Not a taste issue, I've just never liked eating cooked apples, even in apple pie.
assateague

Postby Goldfish » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:48 pm

Do you guys make your buttermilk, or buy it? If you make it, do you use lemon juice or vinegar? I didn't have vinegar so I used lemon juice and I could certainly taste the lemon in the meat.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby assateague » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:50 pm

Goldfish wrote:Do you guys make your buttermilk, or buy it? If you make it, do you use lemon juice or vinegar? I didn't have vinegar so I used lemon juice and I could certainly taste the lemon in the meat.

I started off I don't know how long ago with a storebought quart of buttermilk. Just divide that up among 4 quart jars, top off with regular milk, shake it up, and in a couple days in the fridge it's buttermilk. Keep doing this over and over, and you'll never have to buy it. I will occasionally add a spoonful of vinegar, but not very often. Use whole milk.
assateague

Postby Goldfish » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:31 pm

assateague wrote:
Goldfish wrote:Do you guys make your buttermilk, or buy it? If you make it, do you use lemon juice or vinegar? I didn't have vinegar so I used lemon juice and I could certainly taste the lemon in the meat.

I started off I don't know how long ago with a storebought quart of buttermilk. Just divide that up among 4 quart jars, top off with regular milk, shake it up, and in a couple days in the fridge it's buttermilk. Keep doing this over and over, and you'll never have to buy it. I will occasionally add a spoonful of vinegar, but not very often. Use whole milk.

I know it's basically spoiled milk, but how long will it keep? Could you freeze it?
Goldfish

Postby assateague » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:44 pm

I keep mine in the fridge for several months. I gotta warn you, though, if you do it this way the problem will be having too much. Yes, I believe you can freeze it.
assateague

Postby duckkillerclyde » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:31 pm

barbecued pork chops tonight.
duckkillerclyde

Return to The Blind