AR Build

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

AR Build

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:44 am

Olly, you can move this to the rifle forum if you feel necessary.

Anyways, my old man has 2 Colt AR's. He has a carbine one that he told me I can play around with it and add some stuff to it. "Just don't make it too gay" were his words. But after some thought, and me wanting an AK, I have been thinking about getting the best of both worlds. Build myself an AR in 7.62x39. Then down the road, I can either buy a new upper or just build an upper in 5.56.

Any thoughts? I've been looking up parts and whatnot all morning long, mainly out of curiosity of prices. So far, this seems very doable for me financially.

I've looked at a complete Delton Lower - $240
An Armalite upper reciever - $190
Armalite Carbine Barrel Assembly - $275

After those, its just a matter of getting mags, upgraded stock, upgraded grip, forearm and sights.
"There's something about sitting in a duck blind by the lake, staring zen like at the sky hour after after, then blasting one of Gods creatures out of the air. Man that is a great time." - Anthony Bourdain
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Re: AR Build

Postby Olly » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:48 am

MOhuntingGuy wrote:Olly, you can move this to the rifle forum if you feel necessary.

Anyways, my old man has 2 Colt AR's. He has a carbine one that he told me I can play around with it and add some stuff to it. "Just don't make it too gay" were his words. But after some thought, and me wanting an AK, I have been thinking about getting the best of both worlds. Build myself an AR in 7.62x39. Then down the road, I can either buy a new upper or just build an upper in 5.56.

Any thoughts? I've been looking up parts and whatnot all morning long, mainly out of curiosity of prices. So far, this seems very doable for me financially.

After those, its just a matter of getting mags, upgraded stock, upgraded grip, forearm and sights.

Build the lower yourself from a stripped lower and then just buy a complete upper from a good company since most upper parts are only a little bit cheaper by themselves. I'd stick to .223 as well.

I built mine from a stripped lower then added a complete DelTon upper.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:52 am

Olly wrote:
MOhuntingGuy wrote:Olly, you can move this to the rifle forum if you feel necessary.

Build the lower yourself from a stripped lower and then just buy a complete upper from a good company since most upper parts are only a little bit cheaper by themselves. I'd stick to .223 as well.

I built mine from a stripped lower then added a complete DelTon upper.

I would rather have a complete lower to begin with, then upgrade triggers down the road. And its a lot cheaper to assemble an upper in 7.62 than to buy a complete one for some reason. All I have to do is get a go gauge to set the head spacing.
"There's something about sitting in a duck blind by the lake, staring zen like at the sky hour after after, then blasting one of Gods creatures out of the air. Man that is a great time." - Anthony Bourdain
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:55 am

MO, is it possible to buy an older AR, like the ones which came out orginally, on an M16A2 frame?
assateague

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:57 am

assateague wrote:MO, is it possible to buy an older AR, like the ones which came out orginally, on an M16A2 frame?

I think you can still find them, but those are pre ban AR's. Once the ban ended, everybody and their brother has one now. Plus there is a difference between pre and post ban AR's so there seem to be fewer pre ban ones out there.
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:11 pm

MOhuntingGuy wrote:
assateague wrote:MO, is it possible to buy an older AR, like the ones which came out orginally, on an M16A2 frame?

I think you can still find them, but those are pre ban AR's. Once the ban ended, everybody and their brother has one now. Plus there is a difference between pre and post ban AR's so there seem to be fewer pre ban ones out there.

Figures. I've always like the feel of the M16 (A1 or A2) better than the M4. Obviously, I couldn't get it with rock and roll or burst, but the older frame is easier for me to shoot.
assateague

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:13 pm

assateague wrote:
Figures. I've always like the feel of the M16 (A1 or A2) better than the M4. Obviously, I couldn't get it with rock and roll or burst, but the older frame is easier for me to shoot.

You can build one nowadays to pretty much the same specs. Its pretty hard to find an original though.
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby duckkillerclyde » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:16 pm

Mine is an A1. triangle front hand guard, no brass deflector.
duckkillerclyde

Postby assateague » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:40 pm

duckkillerclyde wrote:Mine is an A1. triangle front hand guard, no brass deflector.

Exactly. I like the brass deflector, but I love the triangle hand guard. I don't know if it's just my form or what, but they fit me much better. When we switched over to A2s in the Army, I had a heck of a time the first couple trips to the range.
assateague

AR Build

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:26 pm

Look at the 6.8SPC, it's what I plan to go with. It requires all the same parts you use in 5.56 except barrel, mags and the bolt head. The bolt carrier group is all the same it just takes a stronger bolt head.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Tomkat » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:02 am

Eric,
My current AR is a complete Delton lower. It works great.
Tomkat

Postby assateague » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:07 am

What's the primary difference in lowers? I hear people talk about them all the time, but usually talk about the trigger separately. If it's just a stripped lower (as in, going to add a separate "after market" trigger anyway), what's the main difference in brands?
assateague

Postby Tomkat » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:00 am

assateague wrote:What's the primary difference in lowers? I hear people talk about them all the time, but usually talk about the trigger separately. If it's just a stripped lower (as in, going to add a separate "after market" trigger anyway), what's the main difference in brands?

Very little AT.

All lowers come out of two foundries. I have had colts, bushmasters, double stars, etc. The REAL difference is the guts. A stripped lower is a stripped lower.

When you get into the bolt carrier assemblies, triggers, etc you see some differences. Not enough to scare me off. My Delton has done a better job than my bushy or my colt. Same with my Double Star.
Tomkat

Postby Tomkat » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:03 am

What, exactly, are you looking for in an upper? And what kind of trigger does your bargain lower have in it?
Are you looking for uppers with chrome lined barrels? Who makes the parts for the bolt carrier assembly in your lower?
Tomkat

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:11 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Look at the 6.8SPC, it's what I plan to go with. It requires all the same parts you use in 5.56 except barrel, mags and the bolt head. The bolt carrier group is all the same it just takes a stronger bolt head.

Thats the beauty of an AR. I get an upper in one caliber, then down the road I can get another upper for another caliber. And the reason why I want a 7.62x39 is for one, ammo is dirt ass cheap. I know you can get 5.56 cheap but the AK round is a little cheaper. And reason number two is just the simple fact that between me and my old man, we don't have a 7.62x39 gun. It would add to our variety.

Tomkat wrote:
What, exactly, are you looking for in an upper? And what kind of trigger does your bargain lower have in it?
Are you looking for uppers with chrome lined barrels? Who makes the parts for the bolt carrier assembly in your lower?

Not sure what trigger comes with that delton lower.

I would want a chrome lined barrel.

And I haven't researched that far yet.

This is just a thought that came to my head a few days ago. I think it would be a fun little project. I'm not looking to have a tack driver (if I even decide to build one). Just something to play around with and have fun.
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Return to The Blind