Pickles

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Pickles

Postby assateague » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:41 pm

Just got surprised yesterday by all the early cukes, so picked them last night and put up 15 quarts of dill pickles today (with dill and mustard seed from the garden as well) Gotta pick the green beans later tonight, and get the kids busy canning them. Probably have about 10 quarts of those as well. Gonna need a bigger pantry this year, I hope.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
assateague

Re: Pickles

Postby Olly » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:42 pm

Very nice, I've got a guy at work that cans his own pickles. Every year he gives me a few jars, some of the best I've ever had.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Pickles

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:42 pm

Excellent!! We are about 2 weeks out from cukes...
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:00 pm

I love homemade pickles. My aunt and uncle used to do it all the time. But since he has arthritis really bad, they don't do much of a garden anymore.
"There's something about sitting in a duck blind by the lake, staring zen like at the sky hour after after, then blasting one of Gods creatures out of the air. Man that is a great time." - Anthony Bourdain
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Pickles

Postby assateague » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:06 pm

I think the next round will be bread and butter, then back to dill. My family can put away some pickles.

After the green beans tonight, should be jalapeños by the end of the week. Got quite a few ready now, but I'm trying to wait until I get a big batch to put up. 2 more weeks should be beets ready for pickling. Loooooove me some pickled beets.
assateague

Pickles

Postby Redbeard » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:08 pm

Nice AT! Wishin my property wasn't so shaded so I could expand my garden. I'm surround by giant trees
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:47 pm

how much for a jar shipped to 30224? seriously..... i love home made pickles.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:49 pm

Those pickles look good assa. They look like the Klausen's (my favorite), something about the fresh crunch of pickles that the inner keeps that nice light color.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby duckkillerclyde » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:44 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:how much for a jar shipped to 30224? seriously..... i love home made pickles.

He'd probably give them to you but you can't afford the deposit on the jar. :lol:
duckkillerclyde

Pickles

Postby Goldfish » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:48 pm

My aunt makes what she calls refrigerator pickles, and they are mighty tasty.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Pickles

Postby assateague » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:51 pm

Refrigerator pickles are good. Sometimes I'll make a jar towards the end of the season when I don't have enough to can.
assateague

Postby duckkillerclyde » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:07 pm

Goldfish wrote:My aunt makes what she calls refrigerator pickles, and they are mighty tasty.

Never heard of such a thing. Please explain.
duckkillerclyde

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:22 pm

You'll need a pretty big boiler and jar, and then an even bigger refridgerator to keep it in. But a pickled refridgerator sure is good on a hot day
FlintRiverFowler

Postby QH's Paw » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:11 pm

duckkillerclyde wrote:
Goldfish wrote:My aunt makes what she calls refrigerator pickles, and they are mighty tasty.

Never heard of such a thing. Please explain.

Goldie, are you talking about the vinegar and black pepper soaked raw cukes that people make in the summer?
QH's Paw

Pickles

Postby assateague » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:34 pm

What we refer to as refrigerator pickles are basically just super-fast dills, not put up (processed) in jars. They don't actually have any dill in them, just some mustard seed, celery seed, some turmeric, and a couple other spices (haven't made them in a while), with sliced onions as well. They taste good right away, with no need to sit, which is good because they're not vacuum sealed or anything.
assateague

Pickles

Postby assateague » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:35 pm

They're sliced thick, not whole pickles. More like thick pickle chips.
assateague

Postby QH's Paw » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:36 am

assateague wrote:What we refer to as refrigerator pickles are basically just super-fast dills, not put up (processed) in jars. They don't actually have any dill in them, just some mustard seed, celery seed, some turmeric, and a couple other spices (haven't made them in a while), with sliced onions as well. They taste good right away, with no need to sit, which is good because they're not vacuum sealed or anything.

Sounds like a variation of what I'm talking about. Depending on who makes them, everyone spices them up their own way.
QH's Paw

Pickles

Postby assateague » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:20 pm

Exactly.
assateague

Postby Tomkat » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:52 pm

MOhuntingGuy wrote:I love homemade pickles. My aunt and uncle used to do it all the time. But since he has arthritis really bad, they don't do much of a garden anymore.

you should be over there helping them
Tomkat

Postby grizz18 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Assa, or anyone really--

You ever pickle carrots? I had some a restaurant a couple months ago, and they were damn good.
grizz18

Pickles

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:55 pm

grizz18 wrote:Assa, or anyone really--

You ever pickle carrots? I had some a restaurant a couple months ago, and they were damn good.

Had them in a can with pickled jalapeños. Get the pickled jalapeño and carrots in a can then put it on a cracker with cheddar and you will have one fine snack. Guaranteed to blow the wife out of the room as well when allowed to brew in your gut for a good 30 minutes
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Bufflehead » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:56 pm

that sounds good. were they soft or crunchy? i can't stand the texture of crunchy carrots
Bufflehead

Postby grizz18 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:01 pm

Bufflehead wrote:

that sounds good. were they soft or crunchy? i can't stand the texture of crunchy carrots

They were almost like a perfectly grilled squash, or Zuchini. Pretty soft in the middle, with just a litle crisp on the outside.
grizz18

Postby hotrodtoad » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:46 pm

assateague wrote:Just got surprised yesterday by all the early cukes, so picked them last night and put up 15 quarts of dill pickles today (with dill and mustard seed from the garden as well) Gotta pick the green beans later tonight, and get the kids busy canning them. Probably have about 10 quarts of those as well. Gonna need a bigger pantry this year, I hope.

Are you canning your green beans just as beans? If so, you should try a jar or two of dill green beans. My grandpa used to make 'em. Good stuff.
hotrodtoad

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:19 pm

grizz18 wrote:
Bufflehead wrote:

They were almost like a perfectly grilled squash, or Zuchini. Pretty soft in the middle, with just a litle crisp on the outside.

We have a local chain of Mexican restaurants here that do that, mmmm.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:31 pm

Tomkat wrote:
MOhuntingGuy wrote:I love homemade pickles. My aunt and uncle used to do it all the time. But since he has arthritis really bad, they don't do much of a garden anymore.

you should be over there helping them

I would, but he lives about 30 mins north of me.
"There's something about sitting in a duck blind by the lake, staring zen like at the sky hour after after, then blasting one of Gods creatures out of the air. Man that is a great time." - Anthony Bourdain
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Pickles

Postby assateague » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:16 pm

Yes. Cut in strips, a little thicker than julienned. Pickled with vinegar, sugar, and mustard seed, no dill. Delicious. I didn't get my carrots in early enough this year, so I'm going to try a fall crop when I plant my turnips and cabbage.

And papa, I've done pickled green beans a couple times, but probably won't this year, since I'm gonna have a ton of regular pickles, along with pickled okra. I need the regular canned green beans. Nothing like throwing a couple venison steaks on the grill, opening a jar of green beans and a jar of pickled beets, going out and digging up a hilll of potatoes for the pot, and having a 100% free, homegrown meal.
assateague

Postby QH's Paw » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:40 pm

Yep,
I lived in Germany for 3 years. There ain't nothin' can't be pickled. (beets, asparagus, cauliflower etc..)
Growing up, a friend and his family used to pickle steelhead. Man that chit was good.
QH's Paw

Postby Goldfish » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:14 am

Little slow in the reply.

I think what you guys were saying is what she does. I have no idea how she makes them, but they are good, and she calls them refirgerator pickles.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Pickles

Postby assateague » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:38 pm

6 more quarts this evening. Kosher dill this time.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
assateague

Next

Return to The Blind