Season preparations

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Season preparations

Postby Olly » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:52 am

What does everyone have left to before this season starts?

I've gotta still build my boat blind and I would like some pintail decoys. But other then that I can't think of anything else I've got left.

Sent from your honey hole.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Season preparations

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:56 am

Get the pup all trained up and with the new job should help speed that up. I will at least get to see him everyday now to keep his ass in check whereas the fiancé coddles him. Re rig a few decoys and a little planting
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Re: Season preparations

Postby Goldfish » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:58 am

I've been working on grassing a blind for my kayak. The way I'm doing it, I would never, ever, EVER suggest to anyone else to do, because it takes SOOOO damn long. I can get about a 1ft by 2ft area done in about an hour or so, and the thing is about 12' long and 3ft wide.

This is my curse. I over engineer things. I started with netting, and I've been tieing raffia grass to it 2 or 3 strands at a time, with the ends being on both sides of the netting so that it'll be reversible. Once I get the base color done (if I ever do), I'm going to do extra green grass on one side, and then brown on the other so I have one blind for all year, and depending on what the veg is I can just flip the blind one way or the other to match.

If this thing isn't the greatest duck blind ever invented and doesn't work perfectly, I will post a picture of the bonfire. It's that frustrating.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:46 pm

Me and my partner in crime are going to rattle can the john boat sometime soon. Nothing too fancy, just a flat base coat and some grass type pattern. I've got just a few more decoys to rig up and re-rig up (accidentally bought the 30in rig em rights last year) with my longer line courtesy of GoodKarma.

Not much is left really. Been doing a little scouting while out fishing.
"There's something about sitting in a duck blind by the lake, staring zen like at the sky hour after after, then blasting one of Gods creatures out of the air. Man that is a great time." - Anthony Bourdain
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby grizz18 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:16 pm

New boat blind. Add some goose floaters, and teal to the spread.

Thats pretty much it beside getting shells, and little junk like that.
grizz18

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:08 pm

egg sinker mold, and 400lb mono will be here tuesday, so I've got to pour a bunch of egg sliders. Then re-rig all my decoys with the texas style rigs. I hope you guys are right about this style.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:25 pm

I should have just bought the mold. Next time I need some, I'll just get the mold.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:26 pm

Olly wrote:I should have just bought the mold. Next time I need some, I'll just get the mold.

Next time you need some, let me know.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Bufflehead » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:43 pm

3legged_lab wrote:egg sinker mold, and 400lb mono will be here tuesday, so I've got to pour a bunch of egg sliders. Then re-rig all my decoys with the texas style rigs. I hope you guys are right about this style.

if you've got 4' of line or less, it is the absolute best way to rig them.

i had to use 8 ounce mushroom weights on mine, anything less than that and you'll be chasing decoys here.
Bufflehead

Postby Olly » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:46 pm

Last year when I first got to use the Texas Rigs that belonged to a buddy he used 4oz weights and there was only one way when we had a problem with them moving around. It was almost to windy to even be out.... but we just stomped the weights into the mud. Problem solved.
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Bufflehead » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:56 pm

we have a lot of tide here and it's open water. we stomp the 8's in and still have to chase one once in a while, that's with 3-4 feet of line in ankle to waist deep water. all of my divers are double rigged and have 1-2 pound on them. geese and swans have two pounds
Bufflehead

Postby Alloutwar13 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:03 pm

Ive gotta finish up our new tender boat/ sometimes hunting boat and I have to fiberglass the new layout boat.
Alloutwar13

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:11 pm

Bufflehead wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:egg sinker mold, and 400lb mono will be here tuesday, so I've got to pour a bunch of egg sliders. Then re-rig all my decoys with the texas style rigs. I hope you guys are right about this style.

i had to use 8 ounce mushroom weights on mine, anything less than that and you'll be chasing decoys here.

The mold I ordered is a 6/8 ounce.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Season preparations

Postby assateague » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:03 pm

Bufflehead wrote:

Same here, even on the teal (painted as buffies). My goose floaters have 24oz of mushrooms on them.
assateague

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:25 pm

Lot of work still to go with the dog, he did really well last year for his first year, but not where we want to be. Have a couple dozen goose decoys that need to be painted and heads flocked. Paint 2-3 dozen duck decoys, ones I bought last year are too heavy and big to carry in to a marsh. Have no choke tubes for my O/U, and no shells loaded up. Besides being steady and the duck search for waterfowl, have to get the dog steady to flush and shot on the upland birds, supposed to run NAVHDA UT test in October.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby QH's Paw » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:54 am

They don't work in the river here because the tide swing is more than 3-4 foot and you have to re set or chase deeks in the current. There are places they work, just not on the Columbia river or in tidal influenced water.
QH's Paw

Postby capt1972 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:46 am

QH's Paw wrote:They don't work in the river here because the tide swing is more than 3-4 foot and you have to re set or chase deeks in the current. There are places they work, just not on the Columbia river or in tidal influenced water.

We have an 8-12ft swing and I still use Texas rigged decoys although there is another piece to the puzzle. I set a "bottom line" then attach the Texas rigged dekes to that. kinda like a gang-rig. The weights hold all the lines down so the dogs can swim through the spread.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Season preparations

Postby whisperin' duck » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:25 am

I've gotta get the dog through a refresher course, get anew shotgun, and unpack all my clothes and gear from the move. I'm thinkin' bout gun shopping after I get done at work today.

Sent via my pretentious BlackBerry using Tapatalk while on the crapper
whisperin' duck

Season preparations

Postby Flightstopper » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:33 am

Still need to pattern the new Xtrema dos as well. Better get busy
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:55 am

That's the other thing I need to do, pattern my new beretta and get at least one more choke. I bought the same choke that I had in my 870 and it shoots like a full. Maybe get a mid or close range and call it good.
"There's something about sitting in a duck blind by the lake, staring zen like at the sky hour after after, then blasting one of Gods creatures out of the air. Man that is a great time." - Anthony Bourdain
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Return to The Blind