The Offical WFF BS Thread!

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: The Offical WFF BS Thread!

Postby Darren » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:48 am

SpinnerMan wrote:https://ruralradio.com/krvn/news/duck-hunters-will-choose-from-two-bag-limits-this-year/

allows hunters to select between Tier I or Tier II when they register for their Harvest Information Program (HIP) number.

Tier I is the current traditional six-duck limit with species and sex restrictions. Tier II is a three-duck limit with no species or sex restrictions.

This seems like a nightmare.

Would think so, especially mixed tiered hunters within same blind. Best of luck with enforcement !

Think I'd have to keep the 6 birds, myself.
Darren

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:08 am

Darren wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:https://ruralradio.com/krvn/news/duck-hunters-will-choose-from-two-bag-limits-this-year/

allows hunters to select between Tier I or Tier II when they register for their Harvest Information Program (HIP) number.

Tier I is the current traditional six-duck limit with species and sex restrictions. Tier II is a three-duck limit with no species or sex restrictions.

This seems like a nightmare.

Would think so, especially mixed tiered hunters within same blind. Best of luck with enforcement !

Think I'd have to keep the 6 birds, myself.

It would be a lot of fun for Rick trying to keep his inexperienced paying customers straight. Some probably wouldn't even remember what they registered for.

Although, I can't really imagine why anyone would go for the 3 bird limit other than a couple exceptions and even then you are for the most part upping your limit by just one bird, two for pintails, and forgoing all the other opportunities.

However, there must have been some desire for it. I don't think they did it just because just a few people wanted it.
SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:07 pm

Found my spot for opening day.

PXL_20211004_225307406~2.jpg
I
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
SpinnerMan

Postby Woody » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:32 am

Anybody heard from Olly recently?
Tried to text him a couple weeks ago and it wouldn’t go through.
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby Duck Engr » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:11 am

Last I texted with him was back in December. Would not surprise me in the least if he’s on an extended hiking trip or something without cell service.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Deltaman » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:59 pm

Alaska is pretty close for him :thumbsup:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Ricky Spanish » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:09 am

Am about sick of isolation.
Had a little meltdown at the post office when Karen thought she could hurry the line up by crowding me.
So I'm in line and she's only 2 tiles away.
12x12 I can see, count, and read..sIgn says SIX FEET LADY.

BACK OFF!!!
I can't believe I'm now a Karen too?
Sheesh.
(Cough cough)
My wife is recovering from cancer treatment so I have to be a dick.
Sorry
Ricky Spanish

Postby Deltaman » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:26 am

Should've kept up the dry cough, turning her way each time, and shaking your head, muttering how bad you are feeling......hoping it's not covid :lol:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Ricky Spanish » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:46 pm

Man them single point blinds are good stuff
He's running hard at them now.
Bobbling the dummy not so much.
We worked on "hold".
He's not ff'd nor will he be but hold and drop are in his head.
His hand offs are getting nice...not all grabby.
Occasionally a field trial dog trainer will offer advice and basically tell me how I've done everything wrong.

I've got several.on ignore and they're heads are popping.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Duck Engr » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:34 am

Dave, found a place for you to buy in the land of flooded corn. Shouldn’t hurt the pocket book too bad.

https://www.whitetailproperties.com/hun ... itat-flats
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Darren » Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:50 pm

They just built it, now already for sale? Things not so rosy for Tony V and the boys?
Darren

Postby Rick » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:02 pm

You don't think they've gone into the development bis and trying to make a big lick?
Rick

Postby Duck Engr » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:22 pm

Can’t say I have an inside scoop to what’s going on but do have a friend that hunts at the original operation as a client’s guest each year and rumor he’s heard is that “the grand” wasn’t producing enough ducks for as much as they’re charging folks to hunt there. So my guess is somewhere in between. They aren’t killing as many ducks as they’d like so they’ve priced it insanely high hoping someone will bite. However, would not surprise me if they’re dipping into the flip game.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Darren » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:29 am

Indeed that seems like a great play as they've got the habitat development game down pat it seems. Deep pockets will surely come shopping....
Darren

Postby Ricky Spanish » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:32 pm

Ahhh the bs thread.
Seems like a long time ago when this was the hot thread.
:beer:
Ricky Spanish

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:17 am

I'm thinking I like this blind for opening day of the September season.

PXL_20220712_232404396.jpg
SpinnerMan

Postby Ricky Spanish » Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:35 am

SpinnerMan wrote:I'm thinking I like this blind for opening day of the September season.

PXL_20220712_232404396.jpg

Sure.
Setup here. Shoot many limits before the police show up in tactical gear. ;)
Screenshot_20220713-113709_Maps.jpg

There are about 1000 chicks using that pond
Ricky Spanish

Postby PorkChop » Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:08 pm

Looks like I’ve got some reading to do
PorkChop

Postby Ricky Spanish » Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:29 pm

PorkChop wrote:Looks like I’ve got some reading to do

I uhhhh deny anything the heathen AB character posted years ago. :lol:
Ricky Spanish

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:45 am

I took the new toy out for a spin.

PXL_20220726_000712626.TS_exported_1613_2.jpg

I have shoulder problems so I switched to a crossbow a few years ago. I bought the cheapest one that was adequate just to get started. It worked fine, but definitely got what I paid for. I've been contemplating upgrading, but damn a good crossbow is expensive. An old guy I know reached the point where the mind was willing but the body just didn't have it :( So he unloaded all of his archery equipment and I got a really good deal on this very nice crossbow. Definitely what I was looking for at a price I was more comfortable with.
SpinnerMan

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:53 am

SpinnerMan wrote:I took the new toy out for a spin.

I have shoulder problems so I switched to a crossbow a few years ago. I bought the cheapest one that was adequate just to get started. It worked fine, but definitely got what I paid for. I've been contemplating upgrading, but damn a good crossbow is expensive. An old guy I know reached the point where the mind was willing but the body just didn't have it :( So he unloaded all of his archery equipment and I got a really good deal on this very nice crossbow. Definitely what I was looking for at a price I was more comfortable with.

Flocked my flambeau floaters. Yankeegray filled the wife's car with his old ones. We aint going to just watch em fly by this time. They make damn good jerky. ;)
Ricky Spanish

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:01 am

Ricky Spanish wrote:

Flocked my flambeau floaters. Yankeegray filled the wife's car with his old ones. We aint going to just watch em fly by this time. They make damn good jerky. ;)

:lol:

There's only one weekend where both teal and goose are in this year. That definitely narrows down our options if we want to go in September.

They make good jerky, sausage, ... Many things.

I used to take the leg quarters and slow cook them until the fall off the bone and eat them like pulled pork with BBQ sauce. I have a pressure cooker and that's a lot quicker way to do basically the same thing. Not quite as good, but doesn't take all day. Now I throw the leg quarters in the pressure cooker right after I clean them and then debone and freeze the cooked meat to save space in the freezer.

I still have some goose leg/thigh meat left that's getting pretty old. I threw some in with some spicy arrabiata sauce that I usually use with my hot Italian sausage I make from the geese. Let it slow simmer for a good while so the old meat soaks up the flavor and get a little forgiveness from being in the freezer too long. It turned out good and my wife really likes it. So that incredibly simple recipe has been added to the options list. This year I'll try to not wait so long so the meat isn't starting out with a little freezer burn :thumbsup:

Monday I had crane with steak seasoning and fried red bell peppers and a little bit of jalapenos for a little extra flavor. I don't know what you are talking about. Didn't taste like egret at all.
SpinnerMan

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:06 am

SpinnerMan wrote:
Ricky Spanish wrote:

:lol:

There's only one weekend where both teal and goose are in this year. That definitely narrows down our options if we want to go in September.

They make good jerky, sausage, ... Many things.

I used to take the leg quarters and slow cook them until the fall off the bone and eat them like pulled pork with BBQ sauce. I have a pressure cooker and that's a lot quicker way to do basically the same thing. Not quite as good, but doesn't take all day. Now I throw the leg quarters in the pressure cooker right after I clean them and then debone and freeze the cooked meat to save space in the freezer.

I still have some goose leg/thigh meat left that's getting pretty old. I threw some in with some spicy arrabiata sauce that I usually use with my hot Italian sausage I make from the geese. Let it slow simmer for a good while so the old meat soaks up the flavor and get a little forgiveness from being in the freezer too long. It turned out good and my wife really likes it. So that incredibly simple recipe has been added to the options list. This year I'll try to not wait so long so the meat isn't starting out with a little freezer burn :thumbsup:

Monday I had crane with steak seasoning and fried red bell peppers and a little bit of jalapenos for a little extra flavor. I don't know what you are talking about. Didn't taste like egret at all.
teal is a waste of time you'll end up shooting sawbills if you try hard enough.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:35 am

Oh yeah...if I had tossed the rule book and shot ducks last year during conservation goose I'd have shot at pintails and other species we never see during any duck season here. Them goose decoys attracts everything..
Ricky Spanish

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:56 pm

Ricky Spanish wrote:Them goose decoys attracts everything..

Agreed.

Funny thing is I have a buddy I used to hunt with quite a bit. He would never put out goose decoys when we were duck hunting. It always frustrated me, but he'd usually go out and set them up the night before and pick them up by himself, so I didn't complain. But it also cost us a fair number of geese when I'd call one in from a distance and then they get about 100 yards out and hang up when they couldn't see where that calling was coming from.
SpinnerMan

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:19 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:

Agreed.

Funny thing is I have a buddy I used to hunt with quite a bit. He would never put out goose decoys when we were duck hunting. It always frustrated me, but he'd usually go out and set them up the night before and pick them up by himself, so I didn't complain. But it also cost us a fair number of geese when I'd call one in from a distance and then they get about 100 yards out and hang up when they couldn't see where that calling was coming from.

The goose decoys attract ducks.
I've seen people that duck hunt with goose decoys.
Want to be misunderstood? Try it.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Ricky Spanish » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:24 pm

My dog learned how to let himself out over a year ago.
The coming back in part is just now happening.
He'd bark at the back door.
Next he'd stick head in hole and bark.
Now he barks then comes inside.
That's weird.
At least he's learning
Resized_20220726_132149.jpeg

Now I need to build a deck so the muddy paw thing don't happen.
Ricky Spanish

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:32 pm

Ricky Spanish wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

Agreed.

The goose decoys attract ducks.
I've seen people that duck hunt with goose decoys.
Want to be misunderstood? Try it.

I've never hunted ducks with just goose decoys. Although in the fields its not unusual for ducks to come into the goose decoys. However, some of the blinds I hunt are on narrow strips of land with water on both sides. I often put my ducks out in front and the geese behind me. The mallards seem about as likely to try to land with the goose decoys as the duck decoys. Makes no difference to me whether the try to land with the duck or goose decoys :mrgreen:
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:18 am

"New toy" looks straight out of Men in Black.

My old Ohio River spread started out as seven dozen ducks and a dozen Canadas and end up that dozen Canadas and seven ducks. Worked for me. Have also killed scads of ducks over nothing but geese decoys or rags, though never without a duck call.
Rick

Postby Ricky Spanish » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:40 am

Rick wrote:"New toy" looks straight out of Men in Black.

My old Ohio River spread started out as seven dozen ducks and a dozen Canadas and end up that dozen Canadas and seven ducks. Worked for me. Have also killed scads of ducks over nothing but geese decoys or rags, though never without a duck call.
in last season conservation goose season I could have killed ducks without a call..they were dumb as hell. Every duck had to look over that goose spread real close. Some checked twice
Ricky Spanish

PreviousNext

Return to The Blind