Gas Grills.

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Gas Grills.

Postby duckkillerclyde » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:54 pm

Who's got them?

What brand?

Is it a good one?

Good place to buy a cheap decent one?

Wally World?
duckkillerclyde

Re: Gas Grills.

Postby assateague » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:56 pm

Weber Silver. I've had it since 1998, and the ignitor still works. That should be enough of a selling point. I'm cheap, and never saw the need to spend that much money on a grill, but I got a couple Home Depot gift cards when I got out of the Army, and spent them and some cash on the grill. I think it was $400 at the time, but it's worth every penny.
assateague

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:59 pm

got $500 Charbroil 5 burner grill, lighted inside for night cooking, has a range eye and a sear burner. holds two propane tanks.
got it at home depot for $275 because it had a dent in the top and was missing the grease trap, dent doesnt bother me and i ordered a grease trap from the internet.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby duckkillerclyde » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:02 pm

How about this one? http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx ... 1067500680

looks like junk but it's just a gas grill not a barbecue right? How high of quality does it need to be?
duckkillerclyde

Postby duckkillerclyde » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:14 pm

I start looking at prices of gas grills and all I can think of is that I could buy another aquapod for that price. lol
duckkillerclyde

Postby whisperin' duck » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:28 pm

I've got a Holland Epic gas grill. It's the berries if you ask me. :thumbsup:
whisperin' duck

Postby Weston81 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:56 pm

Weber Spirit 3 burner, you get what you pay for with gas grills.
Weston81

Postby duckkillerclyde » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:13 pm

Weston81 wrote:Weber Spirit 3 burner, you get what you pay for with gas grills.

I don't follow what you mean. There is nothing more than a burner and a hood. Not much to a gas grill really.
duckkillerclyde

Postby Bufflehead » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:11 pm

duckkillerclyde wrote:How about this one? http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx ... 1067500680

looks like junk but it's just a gas grill not a barbecue right? How high of quality does it need to be?

i think that's the same one we have. got it last year, no problems so far
Bufflehead

Postby assateague » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:16 pm

duckkillerclyde wrote:
Weston81 wrote:Weber Spirit 3 burner, you get what you pay for with gas grills.

I don't follow what you mean. There is nothing more than a burner and a hood. Not much to a gas grill really.

Sure there is- durability of grates, durability of gas feeds, durability of burners. A cheap grill will have cheap components. It's awful hot at a gas jet, and the cheaply made parts will burn up and rust away awful quickly. A thicker cast aluminum hood will hold in more heat and cook faster and more evenly than a thin sheet metal hood. Cheap grates will flake away to nothing after a half a season.

Trust me, I'm not big on spending money, but the Weber grills are worth what they cost. Sure, I could have bought 3 cheapo grills for the same price, but I would've needed at least 9 of them to last 14 years like my Weber has, and that's probably being generous.
assateague

Gas Grills.

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:55 pm

Charcoal only way!
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:28 am

Flightstopper wrote:Charcoal only way!

I love a charcoal grill but sometimes its just a PITA to get the thing going and keep it going, especially if/when theres a chance of storms in the summer. then i def go with the gas grill. fire it up and cook before the lightning can hit you.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby capt1972 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:19 am

FlintRiverFowler wrote:

I love a charcoal grill but sometimes its just a PITA to get the thing going and keep it going, especially if/when theres a chance of storms in the summer. then i def go with the gas grill. fire it up and cook before the lightning can hit you.

webber has got a gas fired charcoal set up. Put the charcoal in, hit the gas, let it burn for 10 minutes, shut of gas, cook over the chsrcoal. I've had one for 3 years an I love it.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby vincentpa » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:25 am

I buy cheap grills less than $150 and throw them away every 5 years so I don't have to clean them. The only drawback to cheap grills is they don't get as hot as good grills.
vincentpa

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:32 am

capt1972 wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:

webber has got a gas fired charcoal set up. Put the charcoal in, hit the gas, let it burn for 10 minutes, shut of gas, cook over the chsrcoal. I've had one for 3 years an I love it.

I looked into those, i just cannot afford a weber in my financial condition. :D
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Baysider » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:39 am

I got rid of the gas grills Ive had. Went back to charcoal. I got tired of spending all that money just have a thunderstorm come through and blow it over and bend them up. With the self lighting charcoal its really not a hassel.
MOhuntingGuy wrote: Went with the fuse accessories axium 6 inch doinker style.
Baysider

Gas Grills.

Postby assateague » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:39 am

vincentpa wrote:I buy cheap grills less than $150 and throw them away every 5 years so I don't have to clean them. The only drawback to cheap grills is they don't get as hot as good grills.

See, you've already spent more than I have for my Weber over the same period of time. And mine cooks better. And I don't have to start it with a match.
assateague

Postby duckkillerclyde » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:20 am

Baysider wrote:I got rid of the gas grills Ive had. Went back to charcoal. I got tired of spending all that money just have a thunderstorm come through and blow it over and bend them up. With the self lighting charcoal its really not a hassel.

Don't have unexpected storms in my area. I would keep the grill in the garage next to the barbecue so I shouldn't have this problem.

I just would like a gas grill as I think they are better for cooking burgers and hot dogs than my barbecue us.
duckkillerclyde

Postby Baysider » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:23 am

We can go from calm and sunny to a down pour and 50 mph winds in a matter of 10 minutes with our thunderstorms.
MOhuntingGuy wrote: Went with the fuse accessories axium 6 inch doinker style.
Baysider

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:24 am

Thats a good point, i always use gas for burgers, you can get the heat up higher and faster, then when you throw the burgers on they sear on the outside and keep the juices in. i always have trouble with burgers falling apart on charcoal.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby duckkillerclyde » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:26 am

Baysider wrote:We can go from calm and sunny to a down pour and 50 mph winds in a matter of 10 minutes with our thunderstorms.

We will get 3 days of warnings then 30 MPH winds or nothing at all. We get corn kernel sized hail about twice a year that lasts for 15 min and we get about 1 tornado in the state about every 10 years.
duckkillerclyde

Postby vincentpa » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:04 am

assateague wrote:
vincentpa wrote:I buy cheap grills less than $150 and throw them away every 5 years so I don't have to clean them. The only drawback to cheap grills is they don't get as hot as good grills.

See, you've already spent more than I have for my Weber over the same period of time. And mine cooks better. And I don't have to start it with a match.

But how often do you clean it?

I have a small back porch so my grill has to be small.
vincentpa

Postby capt1972 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:31 am

vincentpa wrote:
assateague wrote:

There is a "my deck is bigger than yours" joke in there somewhere.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:20 pm

vincentpa wrote:
assateague wrote:

When the underside catches on fire. It stays outside 24/7/365 next to the shop (the wife won a monstrosity of a grill that now sits on the deck, but I rarely if ever use it. Because it sucks), and is used in all weather, including snow. Hamburgers cook 3 minutes per side. On the fancy "new" grill, they take a half hour. Because it sucks. The new one retails for about $325, and it comes with a fancy little chrome chain with a small loop on the end. I wondered what that was for, so actually read the manual. It's a match holder, for when the ignitor no longer works. Because it sucks. Apparently, at least, they know their limitations.
assateague

Postby Weston81 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:09 pm

I honestly keep mine along with my smoker in the garage and pull it out to grill. Didn't spend that kinda good money on a grill to have the dogs messing with it or sitting out in the elements. I know you can buy some nice covers that do a good job but it's just as easy for me to roll it out of the garage and fire it up. I have a charcoal grill as well cause sometimes nothing is better than a burger or braut or steak off an old charcoal grill. For ease of use, consistency, safety, and easy cleanup a gas grill is the way to go
Weston81

Postby Rooster » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:14 pm

I bought this grill a couple of years ago and it still works like new. Been a pretty good grill so far in my opinion
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Rooster

Gas Grills.

Postby Westie25 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:17 pm

Had this one about 3 years. Still like brand new.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342135458.907817.jpg
Westie25

Gas Grills.

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:54 pm

My set up, $40 grill but it has cooked up some flat out awesome meals.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342137660.979913.jpg
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Gas Grills.

Postby Westie25 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:56 pm

I'm eating by the time you get the charcoal done. And It is always delicious.
Westie25

Gas Grills.

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:57 pm

Mine taste better and is worth the wait.
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Next

Return to The Blind