Tonight's pickins

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Tonight's pickins

Postby assateague » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:08 pm

Just to keep you guys in the loop. The pints of sliced jalapeños were the ones in the last pic, I just forgot to move them into the cupboard before I took the pic.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
assateague

Re: Tonight's pickins

Postby Olly » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:11 pm

Always enjoy this thread, one day I'll be able to plant a decent garden.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Flightstopper » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:12 pm

Cleaning up shop Assa!
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Tonight's pickins

Postby Westie25 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:45 pm

Olly wrote:Always enjoy this thread, one day I'll be able to plant a decent garden.

Same here. Just too much going on right now.
Westie25

Tonight's pickins

Postby Redbeard » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:55 pm

Love me some jalapeños. Praying mine make it this year
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Tonight's pickins

Postby Westie25 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:15 pm

I'm a puss. Don't do hot well.
Westie25

Tonight's pickins

Postby assateague » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:58 pm

Redbeard wrote:Love me some jalapeños. Praying mine make it this year

I timed it just right. Opened my last jar from last year on Tuesday, and put up my first two pints for this year last night. Officially made it a year- and we eat them a LOT.
assateague

Tonight's pickins

Postby cw1074 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:07 pm

assateague wrote:
Redbeard wrote:Love me some jalapeños. Praying mine make it this year

I timed it just right. Opened my last jar from last year on Tuesday, and put up my first two pints for this year last night. Officially made it a year- and we eat them a LOT.

I've been picking jalepenos, bell peppers and chile peppers for at least six weeks now. As far as I know, the wife hasn't put any slices up yet, but she's made the hell out of some jalepeno jelly. After making all of this jalepeno jelly, she got on a jelly making kick and tried making some watermelon jelly as well. It's not something I want to put on biscuits or toast, but I'd bet it's going to kick ass on some ice cream when I finish my diet. It reminds me a lot of the Smuckers ice cream toppers you put on banana splits.
cw1074

Tonight's pickins

Postby assateague » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:00 pm

Might be interested in that recipe- if the bugs leave them alone, I'm going to have a lot more watermelons than I planned on. My cayennes are just starting, and the amount of green tomatoes hanging on the vine sort of scares me.

Just got finished putting up tonight's cucumbers and pole beans. 9 more quarts of pickles and 1 quart of green beans.

I was thinking this afternoon when I went to get another 3 dozen quart jars. I've never really thought about the economics of it, always just did it because I like the way it feels. But even if I had to buy a new jar every time (I don't, of course), it would still be cheaper than buying canned. 12 quart jars with lids and bands costs me about $9. If I bought 12 quarts worth of canned beans, it'd cost me at least $20. 12 quarts of pickles would run me $36. It's madness how expensive even a can of corn is as opposed to doing it yourself. Something to think about.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
assateague

Tonight's pickins

Postby cw1074 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:13 pm

assateague wrote:Might be interested in that recipe- if the bugs leave them alone, I'm going to have a lot more watermelons than I planned on. My cayennes are just starting, and the amount of green tomatoes hanging on the vine sort of scares me.

Just got finished putting up tonight's cucumbers and pole beans. 9 more quarts of pickles and 1 quart of green beans.

I was thinking this afternoon when I went to get another 3 dozen quart jars. I've never really thought about the economics of it, always just did it because I like the way it feels. But even if I had to buy a new jar every time (I don't, of course), it would still be cheaper than buying canned. 12 quart jars with lids and bands costs me about $9. If I bought 12 quarts worth of canned beans, it'd cost me at least $20. 12 quarts of pickles would run me $36. It's madness how expensive even a can of corn is as opposed to doing it yourself. Something to think about.

Just let me know when you get ready and I'll get it from her.

My tomatoes scared me early on this year. My plants were growing fast and were loaded, but nothing was ripening. I finally realized that I was over watering them and everything worked out. Later on, I wasn't getting enough time to water frequently enough and the tomatoes started splitting on me, but I finally got that straightened out. Now if I can just find the time to re weed, till and do something about the stink bugs I'll have it made. Luckily, the assassin bugs have shown up recently and are working on my stink bug problem, so hopefully I'll only need to till and weed.
cw1074

Tonight's pickins

Postby assateague » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:18 pm

The stink bugs there mess with your tomatoes? Here, it's just aphids and potato bugs I have to worry about killing my tomatoes. The stink bugs put a hurting on my squash and pumpkins for sure, but leave everything else alone. I've lost half my pumpkin plants, and 3 of 7 zucchini plants, all in the last week. Hate those damn bugs.
assateague

Tonight's pickins

Postby cw1074 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:40 pm

Yes, stinkbugs are a major problem with tomatoes around here. They sting the tomato when they are near ripe and will cause a whitish yellow spot at the sting. If its extremely hot, this spot will start to rot out before you get to it. The assassin bugs kill off the stink bugs, but they will sting a person if your not careful. My wife has been stung at least once a year for the last couple of years. They always get her in the same spot each year, on her chest at about the start of her cleavage. I've been fortunate that I've never been stung, probably because she does most of the picking.
cw1074

Postby jarbo03 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:45 pm

Stopped by the grandparents today, had to get me some tomatoes. Gardening has been tough for them this year, with no rain and extreme temps, they have had to water every day. Was another critter in the trap, 2nd in 2 days and 12th of the year. He found himself a new home outside of town, they have been hell on the tomatoes and beans.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Tonight's pickins

Postby assateague » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:55 pm

Just kill that bastard. Or eat it. I'm gonna eat the next one we catch, just to try it.
assateague

Tonight's pickins

Postby TNAL45 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:00 am

assateague wrote:Just kill that bastard. Or eat it. I'm gonna eat the next one we catch, just to try it.

Tastes like squirrell supposedly. Mine are usually mangled beyond recognition. I hope you aren't dropping those things off on someone's farm. :lol:
I refuse to play any sport that considers water a "hazard".
TNAL45

Postby jarbo03 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:09 am

They go wherever gramps neighbor takes them, not sure what he does with them.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:28 am

Probably in a pillow case tossed off a bridge into a river.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby vincentpa » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:35 pm

The stink bugs where I am crush my tomatoes. Those bastards. I hate them.

Edit: lets try and keep the F bombs in the DD.
vincentpa

Postby capt1972 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:36 am

TheDude wrote:
assateague wrote:Just kill that bastard. Or eat it. I'm gonna eat the next one we catch, just to try it.

Tastes like squirrell supposedly. Mine are usually mangled beyond recognition. I hope you are dropping those things off on ASSA's farm. :lol:

FIFY
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Return to The Blind