I'm Torn

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

I'm Torn

Postby assateague » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:14 pm

Between loving and hating what the county did to the boat launches. I went down to go fishing this morning (didn't go, because a storm popped up on my drive down), and when I got there, the boat ramp had been completely redesigned. About 2 years ago, the state put in 2 new launches in a popular bay behind the barrier islands. Before this, the existing launches were sort of "local" hideouts, because they weren't in high visibility places, and had no signage. The new state launches are fee-based (I think $5 a pop). When I got down to the old, out of the way county launch I always use (it is VERY out of the way), I found it had been completely redesigned. It was basically a filled and paved bulkhead, about 100'x60', with the actual ramp in an awkward location around the corner, facing the marsh. If you had a boat bigger than about 16', you were going to have problems making the turn in the marsh to get out to the bay, and if it was low tide, you weren't gonna do it in more than a 14' with the motor up.

Now, the ramp faces directly out toward the bay, a straight shot, and the thing was jammed full of bigger trailers, pontoon trailers, and lots of vehicles. And it was a cluster, all of the people trying to get off the water because of the storm. I had never before seen anything beyond 2 vehicles there, and some people crabbing, that's about it. Now, it's "usable" for a lot more boats. The bad part is that the launch faces directly into the prevailing winds, facing NE toward the ocean, so your boat's gonna get pounded up against the bulkhead while you're parking the trailer.

The reason I'm torn is that I was talking to a couple of the old timers, and they said the county had redone the boat ramps on the back bay to get people to use them instead of the state ramps, just to poke them in the eye so to speak. That part I like. But I can't help but think that these new, bigger ramps run by the county aren't going to "magically" become fee-based before it's over with. They don't do anything for free. Charging to use their old launches would've been an insult, but these new ones are nice. I suspect my days of "free" are coming to a close.
assateague

Re: I'm Torn

Postby capt1972 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:43 pm

They'll start charging when they have to pay someone to pick up all the trash left behind from all the yahoos.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

I'm Torn

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:53 pm

Yea change ain't always a bad thing. But sometimes it is. Sometimes I'd rather just put up with the way things were
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby capt1972 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Redbeard wrote:Yea change ain't always a bad thing. But sometimes it is. Sometimes I'd rather just put up with the way things were

CHANGE Wasn't that a slogan that didn't turn out so goodImage
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby QH's Paw » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:42 pm

Your county's plan is to make it unaffordable for the state to run the big nice new ramps and then the state will make a deal with the county to take possession and maintain it. When that happens, they will plow the old ramps you prefer under and, make them unbearable to use, inaccessible and, will up the fee at their nice new ramps acquired from the state.
At least that is what they did here where I live. The state built a ramp less than a mile from the old county ramp and when the county took it(the new state ramp) over they demo'd the old ramp. The messed up part is the old ramp was better and free. The other thing is there is a transient public dock at the old ramp site that has pump out stations and temporary moorage(free). They left that there but, no ramp and only limited parking.
I launch my boat a few miles down river from the new ramp, from a public beach. I just have to keep track of the tides and always tow with the 4X4.
QH's Paw

Postby Bufflehead » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:12 pm

all the state and county ramps here are free to use. at times during the winter striper season there will be trucks and trailers lined down the side of the road for miles(seriously) at the two main ramps.
Bufflehead

Postby Willie » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:54 pm

all the state and county ramps here are free to use. at times during the winter striper season there will be trucks and trailers lined down the side of the road for miles(seriously) at the two main ramps.

Or dumping them in the surf...when you could drive on the beach anyway.
Willie

Postby Bufflehead » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:15 pm

Willie wrote:when you could drive on the beach anyway.
that's another fine example of how f-ed up our government is.
Bufflehead

I'm Torn

Postby assateague » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:39 pm

The stupid plovers have closed all but 1 1/2 miles of the beach here. Actually, they only use about 300 yards, but the Park Service won't allow a temporary drive around (only one access point), so they close the whole beach, basically. Which is exactly what they want.
assateague

Postby Bufflehead » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:20 pm

assateague wrote:Which is exactly what they want.
:thumbsup:

it's the same way here. they closed all the areas that were popular fishing spots and a lot of open areas have no access point
Bufflehead

Return to The Blind