Finally

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Finally

Postby assateague » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:30 am

YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
assateague

Re: Finally

Postby Baysider » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:42 am

Nice. Looks like you've got less wind than we do. Its blowing right good here. Good luck.
MOhuntingGuy wrote: Went with the fuse accessories axium 6 inch doinker style.
Baysider

Finally

Postby assateague » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:02 am

It's picking up. So far nothing wants to bite aside from HUGE sooks. Oh well.
assateague

Postby huntntech » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:22 am

Good luck and enjoy :fishing:
huntntech

Postby Westie25 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:45 am

You in the hybrid?
Westie25

Finally

Postby assateague » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:46 pm

Westie25 wrote:You in the hybrid?

Yep. Got too windy. Came in to head down to the local pond instead. A bit of a challenge leaving- the ramp is right behind that Dodge, where a guy decided to park and go crabbing with his family. Asked him if he could park parallel with the bulkhead so people could get to the ramp easier. "It's a parking lot everywhere" he says "I don't see any lines". Stuff like this is why I'm wound so tight. I hate the effing Baltimoron tourists.
assateague

Postby capt1972 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:49 pm

assateague wrote:
Westie25 wrote:You in the hybrid?

Yep. Got too windy. Came in to head down to the local pond instead. A bit of a challenge leaving- the ramp is right behind that Dodge, where a guy decided to park and go crabbing with his family. Asked him if he could park parallel with the bulkhead so people could get to the ramp easier. "It's a parking lot everywhere" he says "I don't see any lines". Stuff like this is why I'm wound so tight. I hate the effing Baltimoron tourists.

push his truck into the water. That'll learn em!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Finally

Postby assateague » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:51 pm

Don't think you can see, but a game warden just pulled into the parking lot here. It's all of 40 yards away. He's hiding behind the brushy tree, watching me. I suppose he thinks he's sneaky, since I have my ear buds in, but it's actually comical.
assateague

Finally

Postby Westie25 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:52 pm

Watching you fish?!? Holler at him and tell him to burn the road up.
Westie25

Finally

Postby assateague » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:12 pm

I guess he decided I wasn't going to do anything wrong. He finally stepped out and "hey'd" me. To his credit, he didn't ask me to come in, just to hold up my life jacket and fishing license. As of he could read it.

Speaking of burning the road up, this one passed me on the way down to the bay. It's one of the radar-running sedans I was talking about. Sorry for the crappy pic.
assateague

Finally

Postby Westie25 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:14 pm

Nothing irritates me more.
Westie25

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:22 pm

assateague wrote:I guess he decided I wasn't going to do anything wrong. He finally stepped out and "hey'd" me. To his credit, he didn't ask me to come in, just to hold up my life jacket and fishing license. As of he could read it.

Speaking of burning the road up, this one passed me on the way down to the bay. It's one of the radar-running sedans I was talking about. Sorry for the crappy pic.

He was probably looking for the guy who was taking pictures on his phone while driving. :D
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Finally

Postby assateague » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:08 pm

Discovery for today: catfish love shrimp. Had leftover bait, so decided to use it on the catfish. Now if I could just get some worth keeping
assateague

Postby jarbo03 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:40 pm

assateague wrote:Discovery for today: catfish love shrimp. Had leftover bait, so decided to use it on the catfish. Now if I could just get some worth keeping

Shrimp is my favorite bait for cats, I like to drift with barely enough weight to make it scrape bottom.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Olly » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:41 pm

Sounds like you had a fun day Assa. That's what sundays are for!
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:56 pm

jarbo03 wrote:
assateague wrote:Discovery for today: catfish love shrimp. Had leftover bait, so decided to use it on the catfish. Now if I could just get some worth keeping

Shrimp is my favorite bait for cats, I like to drift with barely enough weight to make it scrape bottom.

I would rather eat shrimp over any fish. To me, thats like getting a hot chick to be your wing man at the bar so you can pick up a 6 for the night.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby capt1972 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:04 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:

I would rather eat shrimp over any fish. To me, thats like getting a hot chick to be your wing man at the bar so you can pick up a 6 for the night.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Finally

Postby Redbeard » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:17 pm

assateague wrote:I guess he decided I wasn't going to do anything wrong. He finally stepped out and "hey'd" me. To his credit, he didn't ask me to come in, just to hold up my life jacket and fishing license. As of he could read it.

glad to see i'll always have a job
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Finally

Postby assateague » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:43 pm

Ended up with a catfish and two small crappie. Caught fish all afternoon, just nothing big wanted to move, only junior.

First chance I got to use 3 Leg's knife- I'm very impressed. It went through catfish skin like butter, and then the two crappie. Still feels new. I was a little sceptical of the flex, since the blades thicker than a "regular" fillet knife, but it bent right under the meat above the skin like a champ. I'm sold.
assateague

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:03 pm

assateague wrote:Ended up with a catfish and two small crappie. Caught fish all afternoon, just nothing big wanted to move, only junior.

First chance I got to use 3 Leg's knife- I'm very impressed. It went through catfish skin like butter, and then the two crappie. Still feels new. I was a little sceptical of the flex, since the blades thicker than a "regular" fillet knife, but it bent right under the meat above the skin like a champ. I'm sold.

:beer: Glad you finally got a chance to use it, and like it. Wait til you're butchering up your next deer.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Bufflehead » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:27 pm

3legged_lab wrote:I would rather eat shrimp over any fish.

i had fresh shrimp for lunch. came off the boat last night. fried them for lunch and steamed some for dinner
Bufflehead

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:07 pm

Bufflehead wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:I would rather eat shrimp over any fish.

i had fresh shrimp for lunch. came off the boat last night. fried them for lunch and steamed some for dinner

I absolutely love shrimp. I'm going to the coast in a few weeks and plan on eating shrimp at least once per day while I'm there.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby hotrodtoad » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:36 pm

assateague wrote:Don't think you can see, but a game warden just pulled into the parking lot here. It's all of 40 yards away. He's hiding behind the brushy tree, watching me. I suppose he thinks he's sneaky, since I have my ear buds in, but it's actually comical.

Shoulda sent Mr. Greenjeans over to the other ramp to tell the Dodgeboy not to park in front of it. What a dik. I would've told his kids not to grow up and be disrespectful like their dad.
hotrodtoad

Postby vincentpa » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:33 am

assateague wrote:It's picking up. So far nothing wants to bite aside from HUGE sooks. Oh well.

Snook are great to catch. They fight like hell.
vincentpa

Postby assateague » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:36 am

Sooks. Female blue crabs. Males are Jimmys. Can't keep the females, which is too bad because I reeled in almost a dozen, and these bitches would clamp on and I could've swung them in the boat easily before they let go. Tells me there's too many crabs this year.
assateague

Postby Tomkat » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:47 am

AT, you know you are going to have to move west some day, right?
Tomkat

Postby Baysider » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:52 am

assateague wrote:Sooks. Female blue crabs. Males are Jimmys. Can't keep the females, which is too bad because I reeled in almost a dozen, and these bitches would clamp on and I could've swung them in the boat easily before they let go. Tells me there's too many crabs this year.

VA and MD reported record crab numbers this year. The jimmy pop's are down and the sook numbers are way up.
Baysider

Postby assateague » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:18 pm

Tomkat wrote:AT, you know you are going to have to move west some day, right?

Yes. I prefer CO, but it's getting a little too liberal for me. Northern AZ is very nice, though.
assateague

Postby assateague » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:20 pm

Baysider wrote:
assateague wrote:Sooks. Female blue crabs. Males are Jimmys. Can't keep the females, which is too bad because I reeled in almost a dozen, and these bitches would clamp on and I could've swung them in the boat easily before they let go. Tells me there's too many crabs this year.

VA and MD reported record crab numbers this year. The jimmy pop's are down and the sook numbers are way up.

I believe it. There are a stupid number of crabs everywhere, even to the point of having to kick them out of your way while clamming. I don't recall ever seeing this many crabs. But of course DNR is claiming that they need to impose a strict quota system.
assateague

Postby Baysider » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:24 pm

Its never natures cycle you know....its always a result of tighter laws and regulation so they can pat each other on the back.

My observations...rockfish numbers go up and crab goes down and vise versa. Same goes for gray trout and rockfish. We had a poor year with rock the past two years. Well, poor in comparison to many. This year the crabs and gray trout are every where.
Baysider

Next

Return to The Blind