Not Vincent's Garden

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Not Vincent's Garden

Postby assateague » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:50 am

Some pics of the latest carnage. Everything freshly tilled up has been planted in beets, turnips, and bush beans. Need to get rid of the squash and okra to make way for some cabbage this week.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
assateague

Not Vincent's Garden

Postby assateague » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:51 am

And the pre-till pickings. Onions didn't do well at all, but that's my fault for getting them in late.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
assateague

Not Vincent's Garden

Postby jehler » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:57 am

You ever put grape leaves in with your dill pickles assa? That was a trick of my grandads, one grape leave per jar, keeps em crunchy he said
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Re: Not Vincent's Garden

Postby huntntech » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:24 am

That looks like one hell of a garden :thumbsup:
huntntech

Not Vincent's Garden

Postby Redbeard » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:54 am

You got a nice setting there AT
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby assateague » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:21 pm

jehler wrote:You ever put grape leaves in with your dill pickles assa? That was a trick of my grandads, one grape leave per jar, keeps em crunchy he said

I've heard that, too. I use calcium chloride, but if I ever run out, I have every intention of using the grape leaves. I think you can also use cream of tartar, as well. Speaking of grapes, I need to go check on that wild grapevine I found last year, and see what it's looking like.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:23 pm

Looks to me like you don't have a garden, farm is more like it :lol:
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Bufflehead » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:07 pm

assateague wrote: Speaking of grapes, I need to go check on that wild grapevine I found last year, and see what it's looking like.

man, we had a grapevine growing in our fig tree. i hate figs but those grapes were good. it was right out by the road and the county decided we all need city water. they destroyed the damn fig tree when they put in the water line, left to stems that were right at ground level on the side away from the road. i raised hell with them until they dug the rest of the thing up and made them haul it off and fill in the hole from the root.

this fig tree was atleast 20 feet high and probably 25 -30 feet in diameter. had a blackberry vine in it and a grape vine. :mad:
Bufflehead

Postby hotrodtoad » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:23 pm

Assa, you've obviousely got too much time on your hands. And also a big Troy-Bilt rear tine tiller. Well, probably an off brand rear tine knowing your tightassness. That's a helluva nice lookin' garden.
hotrodtoad

Postby Redbeard » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:11 pm

He keeps it overgrown to hide the weed in the middle
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Goldfish » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:43 pm

He sells to all the politicians
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby assateague » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:58 pm

hotrodtoad wrote:Assa, you've obviousely got too much time on your hands. And also a big Troy-Bilt rear tine tiller. Well, probably an off brand rear tine knowing your tightassness. That's a helluva nice lookin' garden.

I have an old (about 1970) off-brand front tine tiller. I just use it for weeding. What you see there was done by the neighbor- he has a rear tine, PTO driven, diesel self-propelled mini power tiller. Took him about 15 minutes to do all you see. I trade him work on his trucks for him tilling my garden and starting all my plants for me in his greenhouse. I think I've spent a total of about $12 on seeds and plants for this garden, all year. Not bad for changing a couple ball joints and a battery, and cleaning a throttle body! :lol:
assateague

Postby vincentpa » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:19 am

That's a huge garden! I envy you. That soil looks very fine. Our soil in PA is more clayey. That garden would be a dream garden for me. Of course, I'd have to pay an outrageous sum for an empty lot to have something like that. I'll keep dreaming.
vincentpa

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:56 am

Ours has zero clay. It a black dirt, sandy loam type mix. Topsoil is about 14" deep, before you start getting into the white dirt, which has a little clay in it. The big bonus is that we have no rocks whatsoever. You could walk that garden from now until eternity and not find a rock.
assateague

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:20 pm

You dig 10" here and you hit solid rocks. Digging post holes is the devil!
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:15 pm

I could go out right now and dig a 4'x4'x4' hole with nothing but a square shovel in about 10 minutes.
assateague

Postby Redbeard » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:17 pm

assateague wrote:I could go out right now and dig a 4'x4'x4' hole with nothing but a square shovel in about 10 minutes.

prove it
Redbeard

Postby Westie25 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:22 pm

Redbeard wrote:
assateague wrote:I could go out right now and dig a 4'x4'x4' hole with nothing but a square shovel in about 10 minutes.

prove it

You know the drill.
Westie25

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:25 pm

If I do it now, I'll probably stroke out. Let me wait until it cools off. And find a suitable location to dig such a hole. And find the shovel.
assateague

Postby Westie25 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:25 pm

So many ands. Just do it already!
Westie25

Postby Goldfish » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:31 pm

Careful. If you are wearing camo, I'm sure that would be considered digging a pit blind, which I'm sure is illegal out there.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:42 pm

Westie25 wrote:So many ands. Just do it already!

I honestly don't have the shovel. Both of mine are in the back of the pickup we use for killing groundhogs. Wonder if I could do it with that little entrenching tool I still have from the Army?
assateague

Postby Westie25 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:05 pm

Use a spoon.
Westie25

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:06 pm

no.
assateague

Postby Westie25 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:17 pm

Teach the dingo.
Westie25

Postby vincentpa » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:43 pm

assateague wrote:Ours has zero clay. It a black dirt, sandy loam type mix. Topsoil is about 14" deep, before you start getting into the white dirt, which has a little clay in it. The big bonus is that we have no rocks whatsoever. You could walk that garden from now until eternity and not find a rock.

That's amazing. You need a pick and a spade to dig here. Top soil is a few inches if that. They you are into clay. It's back breaking work to dig a hole up here. Oh yeah, lots of rocks and clinkers. I used to hate working construction with my father for it.
vincentpa

Return to The Blind