For TK

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

For TK

Postby assateague » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:25 am

My neighbor is a trapper, but has a nuisance license from the state. He got a call from a guy losing chickens, and he thought it was coyotes. Turns out he was right. 8 years ago these things were basically nonexistent here. I saw one running though a cut corn field, and was roundly criticized as not being able to tell the difference between a dog and a coyote, since "there are any yotes here". Whatever. Last year a guy down the road shot one, and that shut a lot of people up. The neighbor went out and put in 3 coyote sets last night, and this morning 2 of them were full with these young'uns. I can't imagine how many are actually around to catch them that quick (nobody hunts or traps them here, even though we have a season), but I want them GONE. I may be hitting you up for some tips. We have a year round season here, and can spotlight them for several months, also.

yotes.JPG
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
assateague

Re: For TK

Postby Baysider » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:38 am

I know of 6 that were killed down here last year AT. They are all over the shore now.
MOhuntingGuy wrote: Went with the fuse accessories axium 6 inch doinker style.
Baysider

Postby Flightstopper » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:24 am

Grandpa saw a group of 5 at our place last week heading to our corn feeder. Used to kill lots of them but haven't in a few years. We've seen a turn around this whole year.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby OGblackcloud » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:50 am

assa , You gonna make some hats for your kids out of them
OGblackcloud

Postby Redbeard » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:52 am

assateague wrote:My neighbor is a trapper, but has a nuisance license from the state. He got a call from a guy losing chickens, and he thought it was coyotes. Turns out he was right. 8 years ago these things were basically nonexistent here. I saw one running though a cut corn field, and was roundly criticized as not being able to tell the difference between a dog and a coyote, since "there are any yotes here". Whatever. Last year a guy down the road shot one, and that shut a lot of people up. The neighbor went out and put in 3 coyote sets last night, and this morning 2 of them were full with these young'uns. I can't imagine how many are actually around to catch them that quick (nobody hunts or traps them here, even though we have a season), but I want them GONE. I may be hitting you up for some tips. We have a year round season here, and can spotlight them for several months, also.

yotes.JPG

good looking pups. AT they're are a kick in the pants to hunt
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby assateague » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:18 am

OGblackcloud wrote:assa , You gonna make some hats for your kids out of them

I have to get my own. He's going to stretch these himself to get the practice for this winter, since these are basically useless to him.
assateague

Postby MuddyWaterWarlock » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:18 pm

They are really pretty easy to kill if you already know how to hunt. Set with the wind in your face and have a good backdrop. Call softly to loud every 10 minutes Move your head very slowly and search the cover well. I like open areas in woods or fencerows, a lot of people like wide open areas. good luck
Spoken to MuddyWaterWarlock
aunt betty wrote:This is personal. You are a douchebag.
Hey douche, when a seeds sprouts roots...what is it called?

Spoken to 3Leg
aunt betty wrote:You are one of them dipshits who wants to tell me how to build a clock cuz I asked for the correct time.
Fuck you dipshit.
MuddyWaterWarlock

Postby assateague » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:21 pm

I don't really have access to either. Mostly heavy woods here.
assateague

Postby MuddyWaterWarlock » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:27 pm

assateague wrote:I don't really have access to either. Mostly heavy woods here.

Wind in your face, back to a tree(think turkey hunting), set up where you would least suspect them to come from behind you. They like to bed in overgrown fields or thickets, setting downwind of one of those areas is good. I like a shotgun in the woods with 4buck.
Spoken to MuddyWaterWarlock
aunt betty wrote:This is personal. You are a douchebag.
Hey douche, when a seeds sprouts roots...what is it called?

Spoken to 3Leg
aunt betty wrote:You are one of them dipshits who wants to tell me how to build a clock cuz I asked for the correct time.
Fuck you dipshit.
MuddyWaterWarlock

Postby Redbeard » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:22 pm

AT forget everything mountain man has told ya. Grab chicken or a noisy rooster. Tie it to a stake out in the middle of your pasture. Camp out in your barn, occasionally working your coyote call. Bring a thermos of string coffee as you'll need to stay awake and be alert
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Goldfish » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:12 pm

Instead of plorn as bait, you can use plabbits.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Tomkat » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:44 pm

AT, send me a pm with your phone # and I will give you a call this weekend and you can ask me anything you want. I will be happy to get you started.

Thur is our DU banquet and I will be busy busy busy until thats over...hopefully I will win that beautiful shotgun!!!

I went out Sat moring and called in a herd of cows.

It ain't easy!!!

but you are stubborn enough and savvy enough to get it done.

PS Trapping is a very efficient way to get rid of the damn things. After DJJ comes out and hunts them at my place I plan on using snares to get them this winter. oh, and no matter what, they NEVER go completly away. You just thin them down for a while. I have a game cam up right now that is on a trail on my ranch. I will try to get some pics up this weekend.
Tomkat

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:00 pm

Tomkat wrote:AT, send me a pm with your phone # and I will give you a call this weekend and you can ask me anything you want. I will be happy to get you started.

Thur is our DU banquet and I will be busy busy busy until thats over...hopefully I will win that beautiful shotgun!!!

It ain't easy!!!

PS Trapping is a very efficient way to get rid of the damn things. After DJJ comes out and hunts them at my place I plan on using snares to get them this winter. oh, and no matter what, they NEVER go completly away. You just thin them down for a while. I have a game cam up right now that is on a trail on my ranch. I will try to get some pics up this weekend.

I look forward to your phone call telling me I won, TK!
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Westie25 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:43 am

Eric Haynes wrote:
Tomkat wrote:AT, send me a pm with your phone # and I will give you a call this weekend and you can ask me anything you want. I will be happy to get you started.

It ain't easy!!!

I look forward to your phone call telling me I won, TK!

Weird, cause I'm pretty sure I won.
Westie25

Postby Tomkat » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:32 am

At our committe meeting last night I told the fellas 'ok, its my turn to win the gun this year, how do we normally rig the contest?"

And

None of them thought it was funny :(

So I guess we are going to do it the fair way....DAMN!!!!

No matter who wins, I will get a picture of the gun and the info on the winner.....ME!!!
Tomkat

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:01 am

Tomkat wrote:At our committe meeting last night I told the fellas 'ok, its my turn to win the gun this year, how do we normally rig the contest?"

And

No matter who wins, I will get a picture of the gun and the info on the winner.....ME!!!

Hate to burst your bubble, but the gun will be mine!
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Flightstopper » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:10 am

jarbo03 wrote:
Tomkat wrote:At our committe meeting last night I told the fellas 'ok, its my turn to win the gun this year, how do we normally rig the contest?"

And

Looks like you mean Red's gun, he hacked your brain to post that
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:12 am

Red's merkstack must have hypnotized him.
assateague

Postby Redbeard » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:29 am

Did I win something?
Redbeard

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:06 am

Flightstopper wrote:
jarbo03 wrote:

And

Looks like you mean Red's gun, he hacked your brain to post that

I did mean my gun, but you could be right. Looking back at many of the decisions I have made, it is obvious that security is lacking in ny brain department, it gets worse with many beers.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:50 pm

And

Did you forget my number Tom? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Tomkat » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:19 am

Our DU banquet was a HUGE success last night!! I will post a seprate thread to outline the details. We had to get extra tables, it was standing room only.

The winner of the shotgun was a man named Randy Schrimp from Maple Hill, Kansas. I took a picture of him for all of you; I had never met him.

He seemed like a nice fella. His wife is about to have a baby, and he was tempted to take the $1,000. But he told me he was going to keep the gun and shoot it, but not hunt with it.

Thanks to everyone that helped us conserve wetlands for DU.
Tomkat

Postby assateague » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:57 am

This is the 5th one he's got in three days, from the same sets. And still no older males or females. Apparently the coyotes are worse around here than anyone thought. I may beat Jehler to it.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
assateague

Postby jehler » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:15 pm

assateague wrote:This is the 5th one he's got in three days, from the same sets. And still no older males or females. Apparently the coyotes are worse around here than anyone thought. I may beat Jehler to it.

I'll shoot a coyote when you shoot a pintail
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby huntntech » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:19 pm

Boom! :lol: :lol:
huntntech

Postby assateague » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:42 pm

Then I guess I should trade you my 870 for your .22-250.
assateague

Postby jehler » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:50 pm

I don't have such a weapon. I do have lots if 30-06, a few 223 and a 6mm....
I have no need for a 870 though, I already have an emergency paddle in the boat
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:39 pm

jehler wrote:I don't have such a weapon. I do have lots if 30-06, a few 223 and a 6mm....

Snap
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:53 pm

jehler wrote:I don't have such a weapon. I do have lots if 30-06, a few 223 and a 6mm....

technically, mine is only an 869, since it's missing a screw on the recoil pad. Remington's model numbers were based off of the total number of individual parts in the weapon.
assateague

Postby jehler » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:53 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:

Snap

Your right, it would probably break as a paddle
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Next

Return to The Blind