New here and to waterfowling !!

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: New here and to waterfowling !!

Postby obxbufflehead » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:15 pm

jehler wrote:Small game is challenging

I've had some 3d targets that were smaller than a house cat and set at about 30yrd.
MOhuntingGuy wrote:I bet they were home schooled and lack the necessary social skills in life to take a joke.
obxbufflehead

Postby Bowjoe » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:41 pm

Well OBX if ya ever come by NE Pa I will buy the first round of DART system for ya... :beer:
Foiles Migrators Pro-Staff..
Big Guys Best Pro Staff..
Bowjoe

Postby obxbufflehead » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:12 pm

Bowjoe wrote:Well OBX if ya ever come by NE Pa I will buy the first round of DART system for ya... :beer:

My plan is to make it up there sometime and go to LAS and a few other places in the state. I might have to take you up on that.
MOhuntingGuy wrote:I bet they were home schooled and lack the necessary social skills in life to take a joke.
obxbufflehead

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:14 pm

obxbufflehead wrote:

I've had some 3d targets that were smaller than a house cat and set at about 30yrd.

Thats a big target bud, at 30 yards I'm trying to visualize hitting something the size of a half dollar.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby obxbufflehead » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:21 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
obxbufflehead wrote:

Thats a big target bud, at 30 yards I'm trying to visualize hitting something the size of a half dollar.

Oh how is that big? It was only about 4" tall so not much room for shooting alittle high or low. And your guessing the yardage to so being off a yard or two could be bad.
obxbufflehead

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:33 pm

I guess I misunderstood your earlier post, I've never shot at a house cat that was "about 4 inches tall".

My point was this - aim small, miss small. If you draw your bow and are going to be happy sticking the arrow "somewhere on the bag" and miss it by an inch - thats a big miss. If you're aiming to hit the nock on your last arrow fired and miss by an inch - thats still an acceptable shot.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby obxbufflehead » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:51 pm

3legged_lab wrote:I guess I misunderstood your earlier post, I've never shot at a house cat that was "about 4 inches tall".

My point was this - aim small, miss small. If you draw your bow and are going to be happy sticking the arrow "somewhere on the bag" and miss it by an inch - thats a big miss. If you're aiming to hit the nock on your last arrow fired and miss by an inch - thats still an acceptable shot.

Yeah I get what your saying. I guess you have shot at a house cat before.
obxbufflehead

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:00 pm

No my wife would get all pissy at me if I killed one of her cats, that I do hate btw. I have shot plenty of these though. My personal best is a head shot at 40 yards, yes I range them or I would rarely ever hit them.

great archery practice by the way.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Redbeard » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:59 pm

Bowjoe wrote:I have just started waterfowl hunting this year.. I was a competitive archer for years and a bowhunter but my son and daughter wanted to do some hunting together and since I live near by a river we said how about trying some goose and duck hunting?? Well first day early goose season we connected on our first goose together..Had the best times of our lives.. I dident even have a call set some decoys and just after shooting hour we had some fly into our little island and we took one.. Here its is with my kids Image
We had so much fun and we are so hooked on it I got new barrell for my shotgun had a 24" turkey barrell and a turkey choke now have a 28" barrell and a mod steel approved choke. Got geese decoys and finally got a call and learned a little bit .. But does it look like we had fun ?? Image
Then youth Duck came in on saturday well friday night went to cabelas and got a duck call and the guy who worked there gave me a crash course on calling but hey it worked so got the decoys and we headed to the river early set some geese and 4 mallard decoys right a day break we had ducks into us but to early and then after shooting light and my son tried his best but couldent connect ..But we said we will give it 10 minutes then I see 2 ducks fly over head and I call and holy cow here they come.. They fly right above our decoys going to land I tell my son shoot them he pulls the trigger and I see the one fall.. He is so excited he runs and jumps into the river and grabs his duck.. "Yes we dont have a dog I also had to jump into the river with a goose in toe.. he slipped and was now at his neck Im like OK rescue your son and find the duck when it comes back up well my son regains his footing and he still has the duck in hand.. I was amazed I said I thought you let it go he said " Heck no Dad thats my first duck "" I was so proud of him and my daughter but she couldent be there on sat for duck. But we have so much more fun doing the waterfowl hunting as a family then bowhuinting.. So I am 100% nuts on this now..I only have the river to hunt and the geese have since left the area problly due to the pressure but I am so hooked on this sport we went to cabelas like I said I dident even go to any other section except waterfowl.. I know from what I heard on other forms that you dont ask for permission on these forums to tag along its offered.. So untill I due earn my way Im happt hunting the river and hope to find some spots near by but I am looking into local outfitters to book a goose/ duck hunt in the future.. We really would love to do a snow goose hunt together.. Well since I rambled on for a hour I will just say I am excited to be here and hope to learn a bunch from you all.. Hopefully someday we can share a blind together.. Oh heres my sons first duck.. Thanks everyone..Image

this is one of the coolest posts I've read in a long time. Welcome to WFF Joe

And I'm digging the face paint!
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby jehler » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:44 am

3legged_lab wrote:No my wife would get all pissy at me if I killed one of her cats, that I do hate btw. I have shot plenty of these though. My personal best is a head shot at 40 yards, yes I range them or I would rarely ever hit them.

great archery practice by the way.

jr whacks squirrels with his bow out to 40. He has gotten real good with ranging. We have a throw target and a laser range finder. I never let him range anything but I will tell him how far it was after he shoots
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:47 am

Redbeard wrote:this is one of the coolest posts I've read in a long time. Welcome to WFF Joe

And I'm digging the face paint!

I agree. Even if joe could be Clyde's brother lol!
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Previous

Return to The Blind