My gosh I have it bad...

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

My gosh I have it bad...

Postby Bowjoe » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:01 am

I was just sitting here on the computer and I live 2 blocks from the river ..all of a sudden I hear Honk, Honk.. I fly out to the truck and fly down to the river..Now the geese havent been around in a week and now at 9:30am today there is 30 near the island.. Not gonna go after them today or tomorrow gonna hope they hang around till saturday morning when my son is with me.. But the wife see's me running down the steps grab my keys and she yells whats wrong Im like " I heard geese on the river"" She like you are a sick man "" I may have to drop the kids off at school and head down.. I seen some ducks fly over looked black with some white on the wings maybe fly over but I know mallards but the ducks specis still confuses me.. But man am I ate up with this waterfowl fever or what !! :roll:
Foiles Migrators Pro-Staff..
Big Guys Best Pro Staff..
Bowjoe

Re: My gosh I have it bad...

Postby assateague » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:31 am

I've run out into my backyard in my underwear more than once when I heard the honking coming. Unfortunately, our early goose is over.
assateague

Postby Baysider » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:35 am

I have geese fly over the house every evening to head to the roost. One of these days Im going to say hell with the nieghbors and bust a few. After years of this year round I still have to stop what Im doing and listen and watch as they fly by.
MOhuntingGuy wrote: Went with the fuse accessories axium 6 inch doinker style.
Baysider

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:18 am

My buddys grandfather lives across the road from me and has a pond in his back pasture that gets loaded with geese, however he has asked us not to kill them bc his wife enjoys watching them, but them son of a b*tches fly over my house every night going in to that pond. Out of respect for the old man i let them live.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:47 pm

Watched my buddy blast a goose in his backyard a couple seasons ago. He was one short of a limit. We were back at his house in the mid afternoon unloading everything. Next thing we know, we here honking coming from the back yard. He grabs his shot gun, runs out there and before that sum buck could flap his wings to get away, BOOM. Headshot. True story.
"There's something about sitting in a duck blind by the lake, staring zen like at the sky hour after after, then blasting one of Gods creatures out of the air. Man that is a great time." - Anthony Bourdain
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Redbeard » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:04 pm

MOhuntingGuy wrote:Watched my buddy blast a goose in his backyard a couple seasons ago. He was one short of a limit. We were back at his house in the mid afternoon unloading everything. Next thing we know, we here honking coming from the back yard. He grabs his shot gun, runs out there and before that sum buck could flap his wings to get away, BOOM. Headshot. True story.

I don't believe you
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:06 pm

Redbeard wrote:
MOhuntingGuy wrote:Watched my buddy blast a goose in his backyard a couple seasons ago. He was one short of a limit. We were back at his house in the mid afternoon unloading everything. Next thing we know, we here honking coming from the back yard. He grabs his shot gun, runs out there and before that sum buck could flap his wings to get away, BOOM. Headshot. True story.

I don't believe you

We live in a neighborhood where every house sits on at least 3 acres. We shoot trap in his backyard all the time and geese do regularly land back there. It was just a perfect moment.
"There's something about sitting in a duck blind by the lake, staring zen like at the sky hour after after, then blasting one of Gods creatures out of the air. Man that is a great time." - Anthony Bourdain
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Bowjoe » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:26 pm

Dropped the kids off at school this morning headed to the river coming across the bridge a flock of 20 maybe flew right over my truck :o I was to late said well maybe there still a few there I walk down get 4 decoys out of the bag I hear the sound :shock: here come a dozen there flying right at me my gun is 20 yards behind me unloaded :( .. I just laughed and said well might as well pack it back up and I swear the 1 goose gave me the middle feather as he flew over me .. Hope to see him tomorrow..
Bowjoe

Postby huntntech » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:40 pm

Thats the way it always seems to happen. Good Luck tomorrow!
huntntech

Postby Olly » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:09 pm

First rule of duck hunting is never leave the boat without your gun.

Second rule of duck hunting is as soon as you call it and unload your gun the biggest flock of the morning will circle in.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby jehler » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:11 pm

Don't unload til you see the ramp or the co
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Olly » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:17 pm

jehler wrote:Don't unload til you see the ramp or the co

Third rule of duck hunting. Don't listen to Jehler :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby jehler » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:00 pm

Olly wrote:

Frog spearing lately ;)
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Olly » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:24 pm

jehler wrote:
Olly wrote:

Frog spearing lately ;)

Didn't you know? It's illegal to take amphibians with the aid of a light in Michigan.

Sent using Tapatalk
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Bowjoe » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:34 am

well was really windy and stayed dark longer cuz of the cloud cover..Had a bunch of geese fly over but way outta range.. A bald eagle was soaring over the island I am thinking maybe thats why the duck activity was pretty slow.. Took a ride down river seen about 5 geese and 3 ducks from the bridge but without a boat I aint getting them..May have to dust off the canoe.. Anyone else do good ??
Bowjoe

Postby assateague » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:03 pm

Didnt even go out this morning. I'm done with 80-something degree temps.
assateague

Postby Bowjoe » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:10 pm

I am really into this waterfowling I maybe selling all my targets bows to get a duck boat .. I just wish me and my son could get a area like we watch on tv where theres bunch come in to decoys its maybe 1 duck here geese are 200yds above us.. I just really wanna keep his intrest up with this sport.. I am gonna have to look into going with a outfitter in the future..
Bowjoe

Postby Flightstopper » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:15 pm

A boat will really open up places you knew never existed. I'm sure there is some decent action near your area being right on the river. Just have to find them. I hate to break it to ya but shoots like you see on tv are very limited and tend to be rare :lol:
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Flightstopper » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:22 pm

Look into the hybrid boats like Assateage has. There are other configurations that are sized for two people. Pretty much anything you want to build. Could be another project for you and your boy to take on and other aspect to enjoy knowing your hunting from something you both made together.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Return to The Blind