Returning Wood

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Returning Wood

Postby assateague » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:04 pm

Yep, that's what I titled it.

Bought a bunch of 1x2 oak to make a face frame and some doors for a vanity today at Home Depot. I hate the fact that they (well, some cashiers) charge basically by the inch (it's divided into 3 inch "sections" on their measuring stick). It usually has checks and splits, and some crappy milling on the ends, so I buy a little extra. As little as possible, but extra nonetheless.

Well, (some of you may have seen this coming) I decided today that I'm taking my scraps back tomorrow. If they charge by the inch to sell it, they better pay by the inch to return it. Sure it was 9'3" long, and now it's only 5" long, along with a couple other pieces around 3 and 4 inches from 5 foot sticks, but you charged me for it, so I'm returning it. And now you're stuck with a lot of paperwork to get rid of several very small pieces of oak. And I will continue doing this until they stop this nonsense, and just charge by the half foot. I have to go get some more biscuits anyway, so it won't be an "extra" trip. I'll let you know if anything interesting happens.
assateague

Re: Returning Wood

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:07 pm

Bring bug with you and have her video it for us. If it goes like I'm guessing, it'll be worth recording.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:09 pm

I suspect it'll go smoothly. But if it goes bad, I suspect it will go very badly. I don't feel like there's any middle ground here, for some reason.
assateague

Postby QH's Paw » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:16 pm

Hey, I got an idea, do they allow open carry in the Republic? :popcorn:
QH's Paw

Postby assateague » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:20 pm

I can't believe you even asked that question.
assateague

Postby QH's Paw » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:24 pm

assateague wrote:I can't believe you even asked that question.

Well, maybe it's time to stand up for your constitutional rights.......at Home Depot, of course.
QH's Paw

Postby assateague » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:33 pm

I'm not gonna be the first to shoot, but I'll not dawdle when it happens.
assateague

Postby MuddyWaterWarlock » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:47 pm

This should be a classic!
Spoken to MuddyWaterWarlock
aunt betty wrote:This is personal. You are a douchebag.
Hey douche, when a seeds sprouts roots...what is it called?

Spoken to 3Leg
aunt betty wrote:You are one of them dipshits who wants to tell me how to build a clock cuz I asked for the correct time.
Fuck you dipshit.
MuddyWaterWarlock

Postby Olly » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:49 pm

I think you should record this event on a voice recorder.

Sent using Tapatalk
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby jehler » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:25 pm

Home Depot here sells hardwoods by the foot. And they have a manual chop box in the isle so you can cut what you want
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:00 pm

jehler wrote:Home Depot here sells hardwoods by the foot. And they have a manual chop box in the isle so you can cut what you want

Lowes and Home Depot's hardwoord prices scare me. I think I pay around 1.40 a board foot for oak and hickory, and 2.20 a board foot for cherry and mahogany. Last time I was in Lowes I saw a 1x10x8 for $88. that's more than $10 a board foot. Puke.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:03 pm

Two weeks ago I bought 115 board feet of cherry for 150$, not a box store though
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:09 pm

jehler wrote:Two weeks ago I bought 115 board feet of cherry for 150$, not a box store though

Cherry isn't cheap. That's a steal.

A little side story. The main contractor I do work for doesn't like to spend money on ANYTHING. I'll be getting moulding ready to trim a house out, cramming it through a moulder/planer with dull ass cutters. Always tell him how much I like working with cherry when I have to use his planer because it smells soo good when it smokes. He never catches my sarcasm...but it does smell pretty good.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:00 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
jehler wrote:Two weeks ago I bought 115 board feet of cherry for 150$, not a box store though

A little side story. The main contractor I do work for doesn't like to spend money on ANYTHING. I'll be getting moulding ready to trim a house out, cramming it through a moulder/planer with dull ass cutters. Always tell him how much I like working with cherry when I have to use his planer because it smells soo good when it smokes. He never catches my sarcasm...but it does smell pretty good.

That's funny. I'm cheap too but dull tools are expensive!
There was some checking on a few boards and some knots to cut around ere and there but very pretty wood, some real intense grain. There is about 1200 board foot left last I checked, don't know whether I should buy more or not, not exactly rolling in dough...
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby capt1972 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:15 pm

assateague wrote:I suspect it'll go smoothly. But if it goes bad, I suspect it will go very badly. I don't feel like there's any middle ground here, for some reason.

Assa,how did this turn out?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:41 pm

Unfortunately, it was a non-issue. I was looking for a fight, too :lol: And they do charge by the foot here as far as price goes, but when they measure it at the register it's based off of three inch increments. If I need a 24" piece, I'm going to get at least 26", to square the ends at the very least. The extra two inches is closer to the magic three inch point, so they round up.

On a side note, I was putting the face frame together tonight. I had to switch out to the face frame blade in my biscuit joiner, no big deal (using 1x2, need the FF). Cut everything, switched back to #20 blade, getting ready to biscuit the frame on tomorrow. Glued everything up and assembled. Then saw that I had forgot to put the front stringer at the top of the cabinet. So out comes the joiner again. I was in a hurry (not much, but wanted to get done to go eat), swapped out the blade again, cut the 4 notches and set the thing down. At which point, it caught a scrap of 1x2 and spun to the floor. How did that happen, I wondered. Picked it up, and lo and behold, I had forgot to put the bottom plate back on after changing the blade. How I didn't at the very least lose a fingertip is beyond me, especially since I was doing the ends of a 1x2 and balancing it on the end of a piece of 3/4 plywood, at all sorts of awkward angles. All I can think is that that would have been a hell of a mess, if my left hand got caught by a naked biscuit blade spinning about 12,000 rpm.
assateague

Postby jehler » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:19 am

Wow
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:23 am

We were making some very small trim with the router this spring and one if my guys pulled the router up over his other hand, only 1/8" of a chamfer but was below the deck and he only just nicked the end of his thumb. It looked like he had been in a ginsu knife commercial just destroyed it. Can only imagine how devastating a biscuit blade would be.
Kreg jigs are better than the trailer park boys for face frames
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby assateague » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:15 am

I've never liked pocket hole screws. Just seems like "cheating" somehow. It took me 10 years to move up from dowels to biscuits. If I did more big stuff, using 1x3 or 4 I could see using pocket screws, but 95% of what I build is smaller, 1x2 stuff, and it seems like it would be a pain to try and squeeze two fasteners in a space that small. But I could be wrong.
assateague

Postby Baysider » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:51 am

Did they seriously take the scraps of wood back? You might have opened the flood gates. :lol:
MOhuntingGuy wrote: Went with the fuse accessories axium 6 inch doinker style.
Baysider

Postby assateague » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:56 am

I only had three- a piece 4 inches long, and two pieces 5 inches long. They returned 1.25 feet, for a grand total of $1.31 :lol:
assateague

Postby Baysider » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:02 am

I have a truck load Ive been saving for the wood stove. Might have to buy me a 12 pack this weekend. :lol:
MOhuntingGuy wrote: Went with the fuse accessories axium 6 inch doinker style.
Baysider

Postby assateague » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:05 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
assateague

Postby capt1972 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:02 pm

assateague wrote:I only had three- a piece 4 inches long, and two pieces 5 inches long. They returned 1.25 feet, for a grand total of $1.31 :lol:

This is awesome! I figure @ about $1 a foot I could make some serious cash from the pile at the dump this Saturday! :thumbsup:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby hotrodtoad » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:19 pm

jehler wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

There was some checking on a few boards and some knots to cut around ere and there but very pretty wood, some real intense grain. There is about 1200 board foot left last I checked, don't know whether I should buy more or not, not exactly rolling in dough...

I'd buy it to use in the smoker.
hotrodtoad

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:25 pm

hotrodtoad wrote:
jehler wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:

I'd buy it to use in the smoker.

Hey, did you ever pick which pickup to buy?
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby goodkarmarising » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:42 pm

assateague wrote:I only had three- a piece 4 inches long, and two pieces 5 inches long. They returned 1.25 feet, for a grand total of $1.31 :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
goodkarmarising

Return to The Blind