Duck ID

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Duck ID

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:26 am

I posted this on DHC too just to get more eyes on it.

I found this duck at the launch this morning after my hunt. I have seen these twice on the water and once in the air flying alone and never knew what it was, but I knew it wasn't something that I wanted. Looks like someone shot it and decided it wasn't something they wanted to be caught with so I snapped a picture to see what it is. It must have been from opening day because the eyes seem to be shriveled away, but the dried part seems to look orangish red?

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Re: Duck ID

Postby JGUN » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:33 am

Hen wood duck. Shot a few if them so far this year.
JGUN

Postby MOhuntingGuy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:37 am

Yep looks an awful lot like a hen woody.
"There's something about sitting in a duck blind by the lake, staring zen like at the sky hour after after, then blasting one of Gods creatures out of the air. Man that is a great time." - Anthony Bourdain
MOhuntingGuy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:42 am

That's a shame. Wood ducks are darn good eating. Might be a yearling hen from the looks of it.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:52 am

Originally I was pissed, I mean who can't ID a wood duck??

But after reflecting for a few minutes, I have to say Kudos to Eric. Too many arseholes indiscriminately blast stuff without knowing what they are shooting, and just ground check them.
Good on you for laying off a bird you can't positively ID...now that you know, terminate with extreme prejudice.
Last edited by DeadEye_Dan on Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:55 am

DeadEye_Dan wrote:Originally I was pissed, I mean who can't ID a wood duck??

But after reflecting for a few minutes, I have to say Kudos to Eric. Too many arseholes indiscriminately blast stuff without knowing what they are shooting, and just ground check them.
Good on you for laying off a bird you can positively ID...now that you know, terminate with extreme prejudice.

Yeah, I would never indiscriminately blast some unidentified bird on the water in our decoys at first light. Thank god it wasn't a grebe
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby assateague » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:09 am

It's only a grebe if somebody sees it.
assateague

Postby assateague » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:11 am

Oh, and according to government biologists at the National Zoo in DC, that's a drake Greenwing Teal.
assateague

Postby jehler » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:12 am

assateague wrote:It's only a grebe if somebody sees it.

Funny, that's how I met jgun....allegedly
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby QH's Paw » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:24 am

FYI, there is no such thing as a piebill grebe. They are actually brown wing teal. The cops are in a conspiracy about it to generate revenue for Fish and Game and the DNR (where there are DNR). Well, at least that's what a guy at the boat ramp told me. Think it will hold up in court. He did mention he had been duck hunting 5 years and pretty much knew all about duck ID. Also, he said he was originally from Cali and a Spooney Pro guide. :fishing:
QH's Paw

Postby Goldfish » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:44 am

Judging from what it looks like grebes eat (don't actually know, just guessing), I don't think I'd want to eat one anyways so they just get to add a little motion in the decoys for me.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby obxbufflehead » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:03 am

assateague wrote:Oh, and according to government biologists at the National Zoo in DC, that's a drake Greenwing Teal.

:lol: :lol:
MOhuntingGuy wrote:I bet they were home schooled and lack the necessary social skills in life to take a joke.
obxbufflehead

Postby JGUN » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:32 am

QH's Paw wrote:

FYI, there is no such thing as a piebill grebe. They are actually brown wing teal. The cops are in a conspiracy about it to generate revenue for Fish and Game and the DNR (where there are DNR). Well, at least that's what a guy at the boat ramp told me. Think it will hold up in court. He did mention he had been duck hunting 5 years and pretty much knew all about duck ID. Also, he said he was originally from Cali and a Spooney Pro guide. :fishing:

That's what they are? Man I could have shot several limits over the weekend.
JGUN

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:58 pm

I wish I would have had a woodie with me when I took the picture. This one was about the size of a GWT and had crazy teeth. I don't know, guess I've never shot a hen woodie that looked so odd. Are the legs and bills different colors in juvies to mature? The rest of the bird looked like a wood duck, just crazy small and colors were way off to me. I usually don't shoot hens anyways, but I've never seen one look like this one did. Maybe I'm just crazy.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby JGUN » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:04 pm

Yep, just crazy.

But they do vary in color.
JGUN

Postby Ajverret » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:43 pm

It's a very young bird. Iv had a case of mistaken ID before, I shot a Rudy duck thinkin it was a teal
" Quack Stackin "
16' Lake sport w/ 35GTR Stage 1
Ajverret

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:47 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:I wish I would have had a woodie with me when I took the picture. This one was about the size of a GWT and had crazy teeth. I don't know, guess I've never shot a hen woodie that looked so odd. Are the legs and bills different colors in juvies to mature? The rest of the bird looked like a wood duck, just crazy small and colors were way off to me. I usually don't shoot hens anyways, but I've never seen one look like this one did. Maybe I'm just crazy.

I think hen wood ducks are the only ones with the yellow eye ring. Correct?
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:55 pm

As fas as I know yes. It was just the size, color, and teeth that threw me off. In the pics I posted, looks exactly like a wood duck. For some reason in hand it had me questioning myself. Any hen ive shot has been very distinct and pretty uniform.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Return to The Blind