I got drawn

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

I got drawn

Postby Baysider » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:57 am

I got drawn for a swan tag this year. Looks like I'll be chasing those big ole birds up and down the salt marsh. I hunted them last year. Had a few encounters here on the shore and went to northern VA on the Rappahanock to hunt them. We had swans all over us there, but the guy in the next field over had 100 decoys and had a call that sounded better than the real deal. I think this year I'll make some big silos and put them in the marsh and waters edge.

I know that only a few states allow swan hunting. Any of you guys killed one? I got one years ago and man was that a good eatin bird.
MOhuntingGuy wrote: Went with the fuse accessories axium 6 inch doinker style.
Baysider

Re: I got drawn

Postby JGUN » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:20 am

No season here in Michigan. Someday I'm either going to travel to shoot one or allegedly know someone that shot one here.
JGUN

Postby assateague » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:11 pm

I'm going to catch swans, herons, and egrets, and hold them hostage in exchange for more than one black duck a day.
assateague

Postby Baysider » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:24 pm

Plenty of them up near the Red Dot Club assa. :lol:
Baysider

Postby jehler » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:34 pm

JGUN wrote:No season here in Michigan. Someday I'm either going to travel to shoot one or allegedly know someone that shot one here.

sae on the MS that the mute swan may soon be on the hit list ;)
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Baysider » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:47 pm

jehler wrote:
JGUN wrote:No season here in Michigan. Someday I'm either going to travel to shoot one or allegedly know someone that shot one here.

sae on the MS that the mute swan may soon be on the hit list ;)

I think we have an open season on them here. I'll have to look it up though.
Baysider

Postby grizz18 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:47 pm

Tons in NE NC.
grizz18

Postby Baysider » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:01 pm

grizz18 wrote:Tons in NE NC.

I drew tags when I was living in South Mills. I had a field near the house that held hundreds of snows and swan, but could never get permission to hunt it.
Baysider

Postby Olly » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:13 pm

I've had them fly over the blind at 10ft above me. Those are some huge birds.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Redbeard » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Zero season here in the glorious state of California
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Baysider » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:26 pm

Redbeard wrote:Zero season here in the glorious state of California

We have a woman living right down the road from our farm from Cali. She over heard us talking about putting in for the tag while having breakfast in the diner and asked us what we do with a swan, how could we kill such a beautiful bird, and would we eat it. She had her arse all up on her shoulders. So I quickly replied that they are very good eating. Especially after we soak the meat in the tears of tree huggers before we cook it. It was a glorious moment to shut her up. At least up to the point my buddy spit half his food out on me from laughing so hard, and the waitress came and hit me for pissing off a good tipper . :lol:
Baysider

Postby Bufflehead » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:43 pm

i've killed one every time i've got a permit. some guys have applied for 5-6 years without being drawn but they're going to start a point system for each year you're not selected. this is the the first time i've applied and not been selected.

we always tie out swan decoys and goose decoys even though we can't kill either.

Bufflehead

Postby assateague » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:20 pm

One of these years I'm just gonna say "screw it", and if anyone in the same flyway has higher limits/open seasons, I'm just going to shoot theirs. 6 Black ducks in Quebec? Works for me too. Swans in NC? Works for me, too. 4 cans in Rhode Island? Sounds good here, too. 12 Canadas in Newfoundland? Right on, brother. Hell with stupid state-specific regs for birds that fly 6,000 miles.
assateague

Postby Bulldog0156 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:24 pm

Might want to recheck on that. I read earlier in the summer on the DNR site that they wanted to eradicate the mute swans and they were giving out kill tags for them.

Did you guys read about the swan that got killed on the 4th in west bay marina two summers ago :lol:
Bulldog0156

Return to The Blind